Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke through and tweeted once - but then erased it because it was so stupid. (I only have 2 followers anyway)

Does anyone use twitter to promote their books and websites? does it help?

If so, does anyone want to exchange twitter follows?

@kindlescribbler

·
Registered
11 Posts
Totally not my thing this Twitter thing, you are officially normal, lol.
I loved your book by the way and only wish there would be some pictures in the free preview for the Kindle!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
See, I enjoy Twitter.  It has been number one for me, always.

It takes time to build a following, but if you use it, find what are called hashtags... words with the # in front of them.  ANyone who uses that tag will show up and you can follow them.

A perfect example of Twitter... yesterday, someone mentioned me as an #indiewritertofollow along with a bunch of people.  I am now following all those people and they are following me... and I had a long tlak with one of those people about books, etc.  Fun to meet a new person.

But as I said, it takes a while.

-jb 8)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
added you back leearco!

-and Jimbronyaur - thanks for the explanation of hashtags but they still seem really confusing to me.  (but congrats on being a writer to follow- I checked out your books and the descriptions are nice and spooky.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
kindlescribbler.com said:
added you back leearco!

-and Jimbronyaur - thanks for the explanation of hashtags but they still seem really confusing to me. (but congrats on being a writer to follow- I checked out your books and the descriptions are nice and spooky.
Haha - thanks! :)

The tags are weird at first, but you'll get used to it. My advice is to get a client such as HootSuite or TweetDeck... it makes managing Twitter MUCH easier. (Maybe I'll blog about it next week, try to help out those who aren't sure of Twitter.)

-jb 8)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
My two cents - and I hope this does not come across as patronising or nasty because I truly dont mean it that way:

If your only reason for using Twitter is to promote your book - dont.

It's a bit like posting and asking - "I've heard about this thing called friends, and apparently they are quite good about buying your books. How do I go about making frieds?" ;D

OK - I'm exaggerating and being rather unfair ;) - many people are really good at using Twitter to promote themselves without being spammy or insincere. An example of an author who does this well is Lauren Beukes. [URL=http://twitter.com/#]http://twitter.com/#!/laurenbeukes [/url]

My point is really that if the only reason you are on Twitter is because it is free advertising, you are likely to get frustrated because could easily end up irritating many people (for free!) rather than drawing them in to buy your book.

Twitter is better for promoting you as person rather than your book as a product. If the way you operate on Twitter projects the image of a cool person who is interested in the same things I am, (because you share interesting content) and you interact with me in a genuine way that makes it clear you are interested in me as a friend, not a potential source of money - I may even buy your book when you get round to mentioning it.

And although that may seem like a lot of trouble for a "may even buy your book" - that image I will have built up of you as a genuine, interesting person is worth solid gold because I, and all your other fans, will be sharing your links and telling other people about you.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Getting writers to follow you is great and all, but what you really want are readers! Writers are out to do the same thing you are doing...selling a book. It's important to find the right audience.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yes, by all means, do not sign up on Twitter to become a link spewing machine for your own books.  I use Twitter for connections, networking, and just getting to know people around the world.  I've met authors, readers, publishers, etc.

I've met connections that have allowed me to get stories published, help with my books (i.e. research), and yes, reach out to readers in a personable way.

People see me Tweeting about my kids, and being a dad, and writing, etc. 

I like the features of Twitter in regards to mentioning and retweeting... if you are talking about something and someone retweets it, it appear to their followers.  That's how you build a network and following. 

But sure, if you hop on there, find a hashtag, and start throwing out links... yeah, it won't be a good thing.

Just like here on KB.  We all meet to talk about writing lives.  We talk books, the art of writing, covers, editing, selling, etc. etc.  Those who come on here and just try pushing link after link and quickly forgotten.  Those who come here to converse, learn, and share stay a while. 

For me, I look at Twitter as being able to reach the world using 140 characters.  I'm not a huge social person so it's nice to touch base with friends, writers, and readers through small talk. 

-jb 8)

·
Registered
527 Posts
I love, love, love twitter.

Probably WAY too much. I spend increasing amounts of time on it and sneak it at work, and...

I sound like a junkie!  ???

Anyway, as others have said, twitter shouldn't be about spam or drive-by advertising. The reason I love it is because there are so many opportunities for creativity. I LOVE writing itty-bitty flash fiction, for example.

Just my 2 cents!

Shana

·
Registered
917 Posts
What masadutoit said. :)

Get on Twitter, find some people to follow, "walk" around and get a feel for the place. I read a blog post recently about Twitter (I think it was by Kristina Katz) about how it's like going into a party. Hang out, get to know people, and see how it works. At a party, you wouldn't introduce yourself to someone with a sales pitch. Same on Twitter.

As with blogs, content is king on Twitter. If you have something interesting to say, something to contribute to a conversation, interesting links to pass on, and so forth, people are far more likely to follow than if every third tweet is a link to your book. (I've unfollowed many a person like that.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the thing is - I've recently started this blog - interviewing kindle authors about their whole publishing and selling experience on kindle. So I was thinking, in order to promote the blog, when I put up a new interview, I'd tweet about some interesting fact from the interview.

Would that be the be the appropriate use for twitter or would that be irritating? And also - if I have so few followers- would anyone else even see the tweet or no? ( I was thinking of putting in something like: 'they're not quite at the level of @amandahocking yet but so and so has just sold 12000 copies of his book. Check out my interview with him."  thereby getting the attention of someone searching for amanda hocking (if the interview is with someone in that genre)

does that seem spammy or ok?

- and yes jimbronyeur, please blog about it! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's baffled.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
the thing is - I've recently started this blog - interviewing kindle authors about their whole publishing and selling experience on kindle. So I was thinking, in order to promote the blog, when I put up a new interview, I'd tweet about some interesting fact from the interview.

Would that be the be the appropriate use for twitter or would that be irritating? And also - if I have so few followers- would anyone else even see the tweet or no? ( I was thinking of putting in something like: 'they're not quite at the level of @amandahocking yet but so and so has just sold 12000 copies of his book. Check out my interview with him." thereby getting the attention of someone searching for amanda hocking (if the interview is with someone in that genre)

does that seem spammy or ok?

- and yes jimbronyeur, please blog about it! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's baffled.
Tweeting about an interesting fact from an interview you did on your blog, with a link back to the blog is a great idea, and I dont think it will come across as spammy. To reinforce that non-spammy nature :) just be careful that you dont ONLY tweet about your own blog posts. Respond to other people's tweets by @mentioning them, or even better, promote other people's blog posts.

The followers will come so dont worry about that too much. The best way to gain followers is to follow people yourself. My own rule for following people is not to follow just for the sake of numbers or in the hope that others will follow back - I follow people who's tweets I want to see because they are interesting.

Also be careful about not just following other writers and tweeting just for other writers. But it sounds as though you have that covered already. :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
that's a good idea leearco. but seriously - how do you have 10 tweets and like a million followers?? (okay 500 - but still...)
I follow a lot of people and some follow back and I weed out people as I go.
I use the private message a bit too.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I hate twitter.  I can't limit myself to the maximum number of words allowed.  Drives me nuts.  Still, I might give it another shot, link it to my blog and my Facebook. 

·
Registered
766 Posts
Twitter is interesting. Lots of spam and promo. Hard to find real people. Or readers. Seems like every author on the planet is there. I don't know why as there are precious few readers.

It's also weird in that you are just 'shouting' random stuff, hoping someone is there to see it. It's like a bunch of narcissists got together just to talk about themselves all at the same time. Blogs are more coherent, Twitter is like a verbal drive-by, you never know who you're going to hit.

What helped me was I did actually know a few people on Twitter and that personal connection made all the difference. Plus, I fell into a group of ladies who live Tweet during a TV show I watch. So I join them and it's actually been a ton of fun.

Twitter is important b/c publishing thinks followers still matter. I am not sure yet if it actually produces results, but I have managed to find it entertaining.

I'm @michellemccleod by the way and I do follow back so long as you aren't spamming.
M

·
Registered
586 Posts
I haven't been using it long and have mostly other authors following me. I have just followed you as I know what its like starting out. When you are trying to get up a blog, a website, twitter etc and write it's quite hard work thinking if your tweets are worth hearing :) I'm just giving it a go and see who responds to what I say. Sometimes I wonder if there is a best day or a best time for tweets. Who knows? I have found interesting people and organizations by looking around there and that's gotta be good. @seventhspell

1 - 20 of 25 Posts