Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing up my novel, a mystery/thriller set at an east coast beach. In a moment of obvious diversion from the inevitable (finishing), I'd like to throw out the two covers I am pondering and gets some feedback. They are on the following link so discuss and I'll check in later. Thank you in advance.http://www.judicoltman.com/Judi_Coltman/News_%26_Updates.html

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
The one on the right is terrific, the one on the left just isn't as vivid. Kind of bland. So the right one gets my vote because, well... it's the right one. Lol kidding  ;D

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
I'm going to be contrary and say neither. They both look (esp. with the title) like religious essays, not thrillers. :(

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Monique said:
I'm going to be contrary and say neither. They both look (esp. with the title) like religious essays, not thrillers. :(
I agree. The transparent partial face and cross don't do much to help it either, although it is better on the left one. Does the action happen on a beach or in a field? I didn't even realize this was supposed to be a thriller until I read that elsewhere.

Can you find an overhead shot of a beach or a lifeguard tower, maybe with something to hint of a mystery/thriller? Perhaps a knife on the sand or a gun, whatever the weapon of choice is? (Just a suggestion) You need an image that says "dangerous", not "tranquility", but that's just one opinion about what would make me think mystery/thriller.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Hmm. I though these were religious non-fiction books until someone mentioned thriller and I read the opening post more carefully! The covers in themselves are lovely but they say non-fiction to me, not thriller.

Have a look in a bookshop (or even Amazon) and see what draws you to a thriller and what the common elements are in terms of style, colour or image. I was having problems with a thriller cover too but I found this really helped and I came away with some ideas of what I wanted and what I thought worked.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If this is meant to be religious or spiritual thriller, I'd go with the one on the right.  If it really is a mainstream thriller, I feel like the covers are marketing to the wrong audience.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much everyone for the honest commentary.  I should say that religion plays a an integral part in the story, I would even say the driving force.  The location is at a beach.  The cover with the "wheat" is actually sea oats which are prevalent in the location. . .I was concerned that might be confusing. 

So, if there was a blurb attached that went something like this: (Please note: I just pulled this out of my. ..hat)

When his wife tragically commits suicide in the wake of a sordid dalliance, Rev. Williams moves his young son, John, to a small, cloistured, beach community to raise him in a God centered world devoid of debauchery.  After six years of steady handed guidance, a grisly murder rocks this beach community, leaving unanswered questions with answers that lead back to the small beach church.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Maybe an image that's a little less abstract, then? Use the image with the waves only look along the beach instead and see a small church to one side?

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
For me, there's just nothing about those covers that says thriller or murder mystery. I don't get any menace or suspense. They feel peaceful - good for poetry or non-fiction.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Monique - Do you find the man in the background exudes more peace or menace?  I was going for menacing, but if you feel peace I need to take that very seriously. 

Thank you all for your honest input and for always treating people with respect.  : )

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Judi Coltman said:
Monique - Do you find the man in the background exudes more peace or menace? I was going for menacing, but if you feel peace I need to take that very seriously.

Thank you all for your honest input and for always treating people with respect. : )
Judi, I didn't notice the man in the background. When I went back to check, I can see a vague eye in a face and a cross but it's not at all menacing, IMO. Don't get me wrong, they are lovely covers but I don't think I'm getting the message you're sending. But it may be me.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DebBennett said:
Judi, I didn't notice the man in the background. When I went back to check, I can see a vague eye in a face and a cross but it's not at all menacing, IMO. Don't get me wrong, they are lovely covers but I don't think I'm getting the message you're sending. But it may be me.
And I value your opinion! Thank you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts