Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing up my novel, a mystery/thriller set at an east coast beach. In a moment of obvious diversion from the inevitable (finishing), I'd like to throw out the two covers I am pondering and gets some feedback. They are on the following link so discuss and I'll check in later. Thank you in advance.http://www.judicoltman.com/Judi_Coltman/News_%26_Updates.html

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Monique said:
I'm going to be contrary and say neither. They both look (esp. with the title) like religious essays, not thrillers. :(
I agree. The transparent partial face and cross don't do much to help it either, although it is better on the left one. Does the action happen on a beach or in a field? I didn't even realize this was supposed to be a thriller until I read that elsewhere.

Can you find an overhead shot of a beach or a lifeguard tower, maybe with something to hint of a mystery/thriller? Perhaps a knife on the sand or a gun, whatever the weapon of choice is? (Just a suggestion) You need an image that says "dangerous", not "tranquility", but that's just one opinion about what would make me think mystery/thriller.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Hmm. I though these were religious non-fiction books until someone mentioned thriller and I read the opening post more carefully! The covers in themselves are lovely but they say non-fiction to me, not thriller.

Have a look in a bookshop (or even Amazon) and see what draws you to a thriller and what the common elements are in terms of style, colour or image. I was having problems with a thriller cover too but I found this really helped and I came away with some ideas of what I wanted and what I thought worked.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If this is meant to be religious or spiritual thriller, I'd go with the one on the right.  If it really is a mainstream thriller, I feel like the covers are marketing to the wrong audience.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much everyone for the honest commentary.  I should say that religion plays a an integral part in the story, I would even say the driving force.  The location is at a beach.  The cover with the "wheat" is actually sea oats which are prevalent in the location. . .I was concerned that might be confusing. 

So, if there was a blurb attached that went something like this: (Please note: I just pulled this out of my. ..hat)

When his wife tragically commits suicide in the wake of a sordid dalliance, Rev. Williams moves his young son, John, to a small, cloistured, beach community to raise him in a God centered world devoid of debauchery.  After six years of steady handed guidance, a grisly murder rocks this beach community, leaving unanswered questions with answers that lead back to the small beach church.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Maybe an image that's a little less abstract, then? Use the image with the waves only look along the beach instead and see a small church to one side?

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
For me, there's just nothing about those covers that says thriller or murder mystery. I don't get any menace or suspense. They feel peaceful - good for poetry or non-fiction.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Monique - Do you find the man in the background exudes more peace or menace?  I was going for menacing, but if you feel peace I need to take that very seriously. 

Thank you all for your honest input and for always treating people with respect.  : )

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Judi Coltman said:
Monique - Do you find the man in the background exudes more peace or menace? I was going for menacing, but if you feel peace I need to take that very seriously.

Thank you all for your honest input and for always treating people with respect. : )
Judi, I didn't notice the man in the background. When I went back to check, I can see a vague eye in a face and a cross but it's not at all menacing, IMO. Don't get me wrong, they are lovely covers but I don't think I'm getting the message you're sending. But it may be me.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DebBennett said:
Judi, I didn't notice the man in the background. When I went back to check, I can see a vague eye in a face and a cross but it's not at all menacing, IMO. Don't get me wrong, they are lovely covers but I don't think I'm getting the message you're sending. But it may be me.
And I value your opinion! Thank you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.