Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am one of those people who is pretty easily pleased, so some of you might think this is pretty silly. 
Last night I finished A Thousand Splendid Suns (very good, by the way).  When I read a DTB, I'm really bad about constantly flipping forward to see how many pages I have left.  Obviously that is impossible with the kindle - but I love it.  I love being on that last dot not knowing which page is going to be the last.  Silly, yes.  Do I love that anyway?  Yes!! 
One of my second favorite things (was the same with DTBs) is picking which book to read next.  I'm not one of those 'buy one book at a time' kind of people - I have probably 15 books on there on my to-read list.  Some of the ones on there I had sort of forgotten about (or were free) so I got on Amazon to read some of the descriptions to decide.  20 minutes later I had it narrowed down to World Without End, The Stand, and Outlander.  Then from there, I coudn't decide.  So, I pondered and thought for probably a half hour - all this time I could have been reading!  I don't read more than one at a time, so it was a hefty decision to me, especially since I've been so busy reading time is very precious. 
I ended up choosing World Without End, but almost wanted to keep pondering because it's fun to me. 
Pretty silly, huh? 
(I know I could have put this in Let's talk Kindle or the Book Corner, but I didn't think it fit quite right with either....)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Not silly at all. As a matter of fact, you made me smile as you had me traveling with you through your "silly" joys and thought process.

I, on the other hand, like to know how many pages because I often read at night. If I knew there were only 5 more pages 'till the next chapter, or the end of the book, I would read to that point, likewise, if I knew there were 50 more pages, I'd probably put Skinderella down and go to sleep. Who am I kidding, though? I almost always fall asleep mid sentence so where I am, and how far I have to go really doesn't matter ;D

·
Registered
273 Posts
With DTB I always had my pile of books to read in order of the way they were to be read.  I am not doing that and like you spend time mulling over what I want to read next.  There is another thing I do and that is, when I finish a book late at night and want to read just something else I pull up a sample. That way I have the joy of opening a new book and taking my time with it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
My problem now is that I have so many books on my Kindle to be read -lots of free ones- I alsmost feel overwhelmed when deciding what to read next. We just got a Wii also so now I have something else to compete with my reading time. If only I didn't have to work :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
I assume you're talking about Diana Gabaldon's Outlander. I absolutely love that series, not so much the Lord John spin offs but the original series is so great. I can't wait for the graphic novel and An Echo in the Bone to come out next year, hopefully.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts