Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's weird for a first week or ten days?  I know romance is a bit of a different genre, but how much is an anomaly for an unknown debut indie author with no social media presence and no freebies or ads?  One of the books is 99 cents.  So what would be weird? 10? 100? 500? 1000?  Anyone know?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I don't think there's anything "typical" in indie publishing. Comparing yourself to others is usually fruitless.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I don't think it's just from being in the romance genre, no. Plenty of people write romance, but that does not guarantee sales.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Assuming KB is a typical model of the indie publishing world, a debut week for a romance author should look something like this:

Publish.
Make some sales.
Experience ecstasy.
Have a return.
Experience a moment of crippling self-doubt.
Get pirated.
Hate all of humanity with a burning misanthropic rage.
Sell more books.
Get a good review.
Forgive humanity.
Get a bad review on Goodreads.
Heavy drinking.
Late-night angst online.
Self-medication with chocolate and/or bacon and/or ice cream.
Commiseration with others who've been there, done that.
Get more good reviews.
Sell more books.
Experience yet another bout of crippling self-doubt, hurriedly revise your blurb, your cover, and possibly even the title of your book.
Consult the Internet for advice, be told to suck it up and write another book.
Self-medicate some more with chocolate and/or bacon and/or ice cream.
Start writing the next book...

:)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
George Berger said:
Assuming KB is a typical model of the indie publishing world, a debut week for a romance author should look something like this:

Publish.
Make some sales.
Experience ecstasy.
Have a return.
Experience a moment of crippling self-doubt.
Get pirated.
Hate all of humanity with a burning misanthropic rage.
Sell more books.
Get a good review.
Forgive humanity.
Get a bad review on Goodreads.
Heavy drinking.
Late-night angst online.
Self-medication with chocolate and/or bacon and/or ice cream.
Commiseration with others who've been there, done that.
Get more good reviews.
Sell more books.
Experience yet another bout of crippling self-doubt, hurriedly revise your blurb, your cover, and possibly even the title of your book.
Consult the Internet for advice, be told to suck it up and write another book.
Self-medicate some more with chocolate and/or bacon and/or ice cream.
Start writing the next book...

:)
Bwa ha ha ha ha ha George. My husband laughed for minutes at this post.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Yes to everything George said.

I released something under a "virgin" pen name, a 99cent short romance, and was getting 5 sales a day initially. (I fluked out with keywords and title.)

That's one of these, daily people:

Ain't nuthin' wrong with that!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
It's going to completely and utterly depend on how many books you've already sold. Amazon is going to push your book to people who bought you before, sometimes on the site, sometimes in recommendation emails.

So you can't even compare one book to another of your own, since you should be building and each debut do a little better than the last, or a lot better, if you recently did a big promo of a book.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dalya said:
Yes to everything George said.

I released something under a "virgin" pen name, a 99cent short romance, and was getting 5 sales a day initially. (I fluked out with keywords and title.)

That's one of these, daily people:

Ain't nuthin' wrong with that!
Ooh la la....

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
robin_hart said:
So what's weird for a first week or ten days? I know romance is a bit of a different genre, but how much is an anomaly for an unknown debut indie author with no social media presence and no freebies or ads? One of the books is 99 cents. So what would be weird? 10? 100? 500? 1000? Anyone know?
Yeah, that's one of those "How long is a piece of string?" questions. I wish there were a chart somewhere!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
You're in awesomeland. You're current rank is around 1200. That's VERY good for a debut, 1st week. I don't think it's getting confused with erotica at all. The covers and titles don't work for that. Even with a push from a blogger here or a FB page there, it had to build momentum and withhold it to get to the rank you're currently sitting at. I think you're doing amazingly well. Be happy. Jump up and down. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Anomalies? Aberrations?

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Fan fiction erotica on fire off the shoulder of Walmart's shelves. I watched vampires glitter in the dark near the Publisher's gate. All so many moments...

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
CaseyHollingshead said:
Anomalies? Aberrations?

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Fan fiction erotica on fire off the shoulder of Walmart's shelves. I watched vampires glitter in the dark near the Publisher's gate. All so many moments...
Nice. But how many romance writers will get the reference? ;)

(No offense to you gross genre folks.)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mathew Reuther said:
Nice. But how many romance writers will get the reference? ;)

(No offense to you gross genre folks.)
CaseyHollingshead said:
Anomalies? Aberrations?

See? I didn't get it. Enlightenment plz.

On fire? Were they really on fire?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I just wondered if other romance authors debuted in the 10s 100s or 1000s, but I know now how futile of a question that was.
I've got thirty-odd books out, and I haven't debuted anywhere near the 1000s, like, ever. It sounds like you're doing great, so I would definitely celebrate!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
In true emergencies I suggest bacon ice cream drizzled with chocolate syrup.
I forget the cooking network show, but these two young hipsters in LA have a gourmet donut shop and they make a giant breakfast donut which is pankake batter dough, wrapped in bacon before frying, and topped with a maple syrup flavored icing.

You completely made me think of that out of the blue. Hmm, might be worth the airfare for that.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
D.L. Shutter said:
I forget the cooking network show, but these two young hipsters in LA have a gourmet donut shop and they make a giant breakfast donut which is pankake batter dough, wrapped in bacon before frying, and topped with a maple syrup flavored icing.

You completely made me think of that out of the blue. Hmm, might be worth the airfare for that.
I'm pretty sure I've seen a show where they were featured.

Truth be told I can't wrap my head around bacon-flavored ice cream, but I do like bacon and maple bars.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts