Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If typos make you cringe, check out my contest where you can win a (small!) cash prize. It's free for anyone to enter and runs through March 31, so there's still lots of time. You just need to take an original photo of the worst terrible typo you can find and submit it to me. The full rules are listed here. http://www.secondsetofeyes.com/Typo_Spotter_Contest.html

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Typo?  Or how 'bout a major error on a "news" web page?

A typo I did see on TV screen.  Steve Fossett was from the Chicago area.  When local (Chicago) NBC news was reporting discovery of his plane and body, they had his name LARGE on the screen as Chicago talking head was reporting the story from the studio.  "Fossett" was misspelled.  I don't remember how, but it was.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those types of mistakes happen often in TV news, partly because of the extreme time crunch the graphics are made in (I'm not trying to defend it, but I'm a former television news director and I know how quickly things move in a newsroom/control room.) I have an example of one of the funniest TV news mistakes that I've seen on my Facebook page (for December, I think.)

Alas, for the contest it needs to be an original photo you take yourself of any kind of printed material, and screen shots aren't accepted. But look around! Signs, brochures, fliers--terrible-but-funny mistakes are everywhere.

And by the way, this contest isn't to make fun of anyone. Everyone makes mistakes, including me, and as a proofreader/editor I'd be out of business if everyone really was perfect. I just find some of them amusing, and like to feature them on my Second Set of Eyes Facebook page.

Also, to be clear, I'm not trying to solicit business for my editing business. I'm closed to all clients for many months because of a huge project I'm working on. Since I'm sitting in front of a computer for umpteen hours a day, I'm doing the contest as a mild side amusement.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
In the spirit of your contest, a friend posted this picture on her Facebook this morning. She says it is an actual ad that airs in her area.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
cwsedits said:
Speechless. Thanks for sharing. Can you ask your friend if I may use it, giving her credit, on my Facebook page? (You may PM me.. thanks.)
Sent you a PM. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.