Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to release a second edition of the Adventure Tournament in the coming months, with new formatting for both the print and ebook versions, and I'm also changing the cover to use the promotional artwork I commissioned back when I first released the book. So this isn't so much a "critique my cover" thread as it is making sure I have the typography of the book and series title as good as it can be. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Here is the cover in large and thumbnail size:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I really like the concept of this cover.  I thought it got over a real idea of what the book might be about.  Nice strong, effective visual.

Now I'm no expert, (just look at my covers to see the journey I still have to make) so these comments are offered as a reader.  It looks better large-scale than thumb-nail which suggests to me that you perhaps have too much in it (not the pictures so much. I just couldn't read all of the text.) 

I personally don't like underlining as it seems to distract from the words.  And I didn't think the bottom typography worked as well as the top. It looks like Comic san serif to me.  Fine for some things but not as powerful as the other type.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Hi Nicholas!  :)

I would avoid using too many different fonts, looks like you have 3 different ones here. If I were you, I'd stick to two maximum.

If I had to choose, I think the author name is nice and readable so I'd keep it up there, then I'd switch Book one and the title and try to make the title bigger, on the bottom, with bigger letters and less space between the lines.

I'd be happy to try to make a mock-up for you if you'd like. Gratis, of course!  :)

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
I agree with the others about too many fonts. I'm not in love with them. The author name font is the best of the lot. Maybe...

Title at the top where the author name is now and series title beneath it. Try it with and without the line. Or maybe a thinner line. Then put the author name in the lower right (where the adventurers is now) and flush right about the same size as it is now at the top. The tag line is cute. If you want to keep it then I'd scoot it down some maybe to where the "ture" is in the title now.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
TexasGirl said:
Take Nathalie up on her offer!

The art deserves professional typography. This isn't there yet.
Disclaimer, though: I'm not a designer, it could end up worse or kill baby seals!
But then you can just choose the one you think is best, anyway, and if it's mine you throw away I promise I won't pout. :D

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nathalie Hamidi said:
Hi Nicholas! :)

I would avoid using too many different fonts, looks like you have 3 different ones here. If I were you, I'd stick to two maximum.

If I had to choose, I think the author name is nice and readable so I'd keep it up there, then I'd switch Book one and the title and try to make the title bigger, on the bottom, with bigger letters and less space between the lines.

I'd be happy to try to make a mock-up for you if you'd like. Gratis, of course! :)
Thanks for the offer. Can you PM me your email so I can send the .psd file?

You have to make "recommended by four out of five warlords" bigger. It's a great hook.
It's a modified version of something I said on my facebook page. I was trying to quote the line from the old commercial: "Ancient warlords agree... a sandwich just isn't a sandwich without the tangy taste of Miracle Whip!" but somehow mixed up my late-90s commercials and crossed it with "Four out of five dentists recommend Trident." So I threw it on there just to let people know that this is a comedic story.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
NicholasAndrews said:
It's [email protected] :)
May I post the results here afterwards? Or do you prefer getting the files privately?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
NicholasAndrews said:

It's a modified version of something I said on my facebook page. I was trying to quote the line from the old commercial: "Ancient warlords agree... a sandwich just isn't a sandwich without the tangy taste of Miracle Whip!" but somehow mixed up my late-90s commercials and crossed it with "Four out of five dentists recommend Trident." So I threw it on there just to let people know that this is a comedic story.
And it works!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Is this better?

Amazon sizes:

I'm not happy, because the title is unreadable in small size, but at the same time I don't want to hide any interesting parts on the design.

Thoughts? :)

·
Registered
2,622 Posts

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Nathalie Hamidi said:
I'm not happy, because the title is unreadable in small size, but at the same time I don't want to hide any interesting parts on the design.

Thoughts? :)
Rotate the cover to the right 90 degrees and then type the title much bigger in that empty space to the right of the people?

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
I saw this cover on Pixel Of Ink today:

Nathalie, with your graphics software, can you make the title gold and bevelled, more like the above?

I do love me some white titles, but the example book really struck me as being spot-on.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts