Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an experienced and obsessive/compulsive proofreader who will make your manuscript squeaky clean. I'm an author as well, and know you'd like your creation to be as error-free as possible.

I've proofread memoirs, poetry, and novels. I'm a prolific reader who has rarely failed to find an error in any book I've read. I'll find misspellings, awkward wording, and inconsistent layout style. Armed with The Chicago Manual of Style, I'll bring errors to justice. I'll even point out silly and awkward metaphors like the ones in this post.

$4.00 per 1000 words -- free sample of first 2000 words.

Contact me. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
timskorn said:
I'll need an editor for Dustland like a baby needs diapers. Bookmarked!
Dustland sounds like an interesting story. Thanks for considering me when the time comes.

Please note, though, that I am a proofreader, not an editor. We do two very different things. For example, an editor will make recommendations about how your story is organized, what needs more development or an element that needs to be tighter.

However, once your story is just the way you want it to be, I can make sure that the reader won't be put off by the types of problems I mentioned above, which can distract from the story itself.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wingpeople said:
Dustland sounds like an interesting story. Thanks for considering me when the time comes.

Please note, though, that I am a proofreader, not an editor. We do two very different things. For example, an editor will make recommendations about how your story is organized, what needs more development or an element that needs to be tighter.

However, once your story is just the way you want it to be, I can make sure that the reader won't be put off by the types of problems I mentioned above, which can distract from the story itself.
A content editor will make suggestions about your story development and organisation.

A copy editor actually looks after spelling, punctuation, grammar and awkward phrasing.

A proofreader should be checking for formatting errors and anything that slips through the editor's net!

It sounds like you're actually offering copy editing?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andrea Harding said:
A content editor will make suggestions about your story development and organisation.

A copy editor actually looks after spelling, punctuation, grammar and awkward phrasing.

A proofreader should be checking for formatting errors and anything that slips through the editor's net!

It sounds like you're actually offering copy editing?
By that definition, yes. However, I've worked as an independent contract "proofreader" for several small publishers, and each of them expected me to handle all the items you listed for copy editor as well as proofreader. Their content editors did a bit of that as they focused on story development, but my job was to polish it all up just before final publishing.

Perhaps the little guys split up the tasks a bit differently than a larger organization might.

·
Registered
548 Posts
They're all a bit fluid. In my experience, while both copyeditors and proofreaders try to catch errors in spelling and grammar, a proofreader wouldn't try to fix "awkward phrasing" and a copyeditor would. By that definition, I think proofreading is a good description for what the OP was offering.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ML Hamilton said:
How fast do you work in general?
I could only answer that on a case-by-case basis. It would depend on other projects I have, length of the work to be proofread, and things of that nature. If you have a project in mind, please send an email to books AT wingerbookstore dot com, and we can discuss our mutual schedules.

Thanks for asking!

~Diane

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Diane,

I think I was travelling when you posted, so I missed giving you the official "author services" welcome post! Here ya go:

Welcome to KBoards! [br][br]You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Café, but we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service will be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again to post to. And, you may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (such as this post), you may reply but otherwise must wait seven days, thanks![br][br]Also, active members (10 or more posts on our forum, active in the last 60 days) may have a listing in the Yellow Pages for Authors. [br][br]Betsy [br]KBoards Moderator

1 - 11 of 11 Posts