1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Damn, that sucks. I was using it - very legally, I might add - to download library e-books in Mobi format, with the DRM retained (the books actually stopped working after 21 days, similar to a real library book where they'd have to be returned after a certain period of time). Wish I had saved a copy of the guide for the future.

·
Registered
731 Posts
MonaSW said:
No, not a joke. It sure as heck would be nice to be able to read any book on any device, wouldn't it?
Legally would be alright I suppose. The only device I'd read on is my Kindle so the rest isn't exactly apropos.

·
Super Moderator
67,496 Posts
O.K. folks.  Let's not get carried away.  Kindleboards does not, and never has, condoned discussions of any sort relating to ways to hack the Kindle's DRM.  We mods delete such messages as soon as we see them.  I don't have full background on Mobileread and will not comment on the notice they received or the content they reference.  I will only say:  No discussion of hacking or other methods to defeat DRM will be permitted here. 

Let's all take deep breaths and get back to reading our Kindles. . . .

Thanks,

Ann

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I apologize for starting this thread.  I thought I was sharing some industry type news and info not trying to get Kindleboards or its users in trouble.

Hangs head in shame and logs off...  :-\

Chris

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Chris,

No need to hang your head in shame. I think it is interesting news and I am glad you brought it to my (our) attention. These are important issues and I think there will be a great deal of "figuring out" in the months and years to come. Some days I feel like we are all building the airplane at the same time that we are flying in it.

L

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Leslie said:
Chris,

No need to hang your head in shame. I think it is interesting news and I am glad you brought it to my (our) attention. These are important issues and I think there will be a great deal of "figuring out" in the months and years to come. Some days I feel like we are all building the airplane at the same time that we are flying in it.

L
Yeah, and we left the blueprints back at the airport.

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
This was a perfectly appropriate thread to post, Chris! So no need to apologize!

And it gives us a good opportunity to discuss this issue. Let me underscore what Ann said. Our forum decorum policy has always been clear about not allowing posts on DRM Kindle hacks. We started that policy simply based on our belief that - while DRM is far from a perfect solution, and we do allow discussion of its benefits and drawbacks - we are not going to allow Kindle DRM hacks to be posted or communicated in this board.

That always felt like the right call, and certainly the events of this week show that Amazon is serious about protecting its content rights.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks for the clarification and now it makes more sense.

I also just saw what Ann posted and didn't realize there was offending post(s) deleted.  While I understood that discussing "how" to hack is not permitted, I was concerned if we were not allowed to discuss the pros/cons of Amazon's practices (or similar threads).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok...  Thanks for the kind words...  I really enjoy being a part of the community and have gained a great deal of knowledge and camaraderie.  I also work in Technical circles so I read a tremendous amount of tech articles and try to share the Kindle info when I run across it.

Now...  As far as that airplane situation...  Hand me a wrench and a screwdriver and let's get on with this...  :)

Chris

·
Super Moderator
67,496 Posts
My apologies. . .I should probably have quoted the post that prompted my response.  Suffice it to say that it seemed to imply a level of liability for Kindleboards and other internet forums, for which there is no real evidence, just by discussion of the topic.  And, by extension, that the notice to Mobileread might just be the beginning of a crack down.  I was really just trying to pour some oil on rough waters. . .not roughen them further. . . . .mea culpa. . .carry on. . . . :)  I'm a ditz. . .don't let it worry you. . . .

:D

Ann

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
No Chris. You're good. The thread is fine. Ann's post was in response to a post on this thread that has since been deleted (apparently by the original poster).
I deleted my post in response to Ann but didn't actually understand what I had said that was offensive.

I would like to point out that my original post in no way advocated hacking but instead questioned why Amazon would choose to go after the MobileRead.com forum instead of the hacker because I found that troubling. If it was inappropriate for this forum, I apologize.

As a software author I have suffered financial losses over the years from hackers and hold them in the very lowest esteem.

·
Super Moderator
67,496 Posts
Jeff, it wasn't a question of impropriety.  I found your post to be somewhat alarmist.  We mods discussed it and I was only trying to reassure people that I didn't see any danger for Kindleboards.  It also seemed an appropriate time to reiterate our KB rules against any discussion of how to hack the DRM.

Ann

1 - 20 of 50 Posts