Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Go to Amazon Kindle books and sort by price, high to low. It is the bottom of page three before you get to books below a thousand dollars.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
For a paper book it is pricey, but I could maybe see, but for an ebook. No Way!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Who knows. If they made all the books a reasonable price, I am sure a lot more people would get them just for curiosities sake. I often get books that I would never normally read just because it is cheap! Since there is no cost to print the books, wouldn't 3000 sales at $5 each, be better than 3 sales at $100 each? If they make the book less than $5 it would make it to our bargain board and get a hundred hits just from us!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If more textbooks come out in Kindle version, the 'boycott anything over $9.99' group might lose some members.  If this book is used for a textbook, $102 could be considered a bargain, depending on the type of course.

There is more to the cost of a book than just the distribution cost.  At the very least, most authors would like to be paid.  I am not familiar with the back-end of the publishing industry to know what else is built in.  I would expect that editing, publishing, marketing, and legal costs are also involved in the traditional book publishing realm.  I am not sure how many of those carry over to e-book publishing.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I've seen a lot of these over $100 when looking for books to research the plague on my Kindle... but yeah seriously, a good research book, especially one out of print, can run hundreds of dollars.  To get one for 1/3 of that price would be a steal.  When I seen $1000 books though... it makes me want to download a sample just because ><

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
I did download the sample of the Nuclear book. . . it was extremely well formatted with charts and tables and various mathematical formulas.  Kinda cool, actually.

Ann

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wow, I stuttered at the $102 but I just plain fell out if my chair on the other... O M G!!!!

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
That's nothing. How about a Kindle book for:

$6,431.20 Nuclear Materials Engineering

http://www.amazon.com/Selected-Nuclear-Materials-Engineering-ebook/dp/B001QTVXAK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1239752036&sr=1-1

The Kindle authors found this one a long time ago and it became a source of fun and comment.

BTW, be careful not to accidentally press the BUY button or your credit will crack in half and you'll see a muchoom cloud. One author I know did do sample. I'm not that brave.

Edward C. Patterson
Kindle author

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
edwpat said:
That's nothing. How about a Kindle book for:

$6,431.20 Nuclear Materials Engineering

http://www.amazon.com/Selected-Nuclear-Materials-Engineering-ebook/dp/B001QTVXAK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1239752036&sr=1-1

The Kindle authors found this one a long time ago and it became a source of fun and comment.

BTW, be careful not to accidentally press the BUY button or your credit will crack in half and you'll see a muchoom cloud. One author I know did do sample. I'm not that brave.

Edward C. Patterson
Kindle author
I think that's the one Ann said she sampled...

Betsy

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I actually found a few I want at around $400-$800... not gonna happen though.  It'd be nice to have all those American History primary source documents but yeah...  Not quite sure I'd buy a $6000 book with DRM either, I think it might be worth the extra $2000 or so.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
When you take into account all the work that goes into one of the scientific books or a text book and then remember it is marketed to a small audience, it almost has to cost more. However, cutting out the printing costs on them does make a big difference, since they are typically printed on heavy paper in full color and in small batches. It's still a total racket though, the publishing houses, which are often the schools themselves, and the authors, which are often the teachers, are out to subsidize their income with these book sales. That's why they come out with a new version of the text every year. Sometimes without even adding new info, just reformatting it. Then the "old" editions are no longer taken back at the bookstores and everyone has to buy the new ones for full price!
Sorry for my rant, I just get annoyed with having to buy new text books every year! I really hope they so make more text books for the Kindle!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts