Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am frustrated! I found a couple books searching this forum last evening for 1 cent.  My normal debit card wouldn't let me do it. So.... I put in another card from the same bank (they are both Visa cards).... that wouldn't go through either. Is that why everyone likes Amazon gift cards? I had a notion to apply for an Amazon Visa card... but wondered if that would do the same thing. Anyone else have problems buying 1 cent books?
Free books and 99 cent books I had no problems with. I am now addicted to buying books and have to look every day for ones you all recommend.
Kdawna

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I have used the GC for the last couple of months because of the 1 cent issue.  I did not even try to take that out of my account or put it on a card.  The GCs are so easy and budget friendly.  And I too would be able to stop getting books if the great folks here would stop recommending interesting reads.
Welcome to the craziness.  deb

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I have had no problem using our Citi CC for .01 books, but since I discovered the limitations of the gift cards that's the only way I go.  You might get a gift card with your CC and go that way, you don't have to have an Amazon card.  Good luck, those .01 books are pretty durn good, as a rule  :D

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My credit card doesn't have a problem with the $.01 charges, but, like Anju, I'm thinking about using gift certificates anyway, just to avoid the gazillions of tiny charges every month.  It gets hard to keep track of.  I have considered the amazon Visa, though, so that I could get GCs with all the money I'm spending there!  I'm not sure if they allow the $.01 charges or not.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
My wamu/chase debit card allows me to do 1c charges. I don't mind the little charges on my checking account. When I get a job I will start using a gift card and giving myself a monthly budget but for now being broke I can't pass up on the 0.1 and 1.59 books.

are you sure it's your cc or debit card and not an issue on the Amazon website?  ???

theresam

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
My debit card doesn't like the 0.1 items either. Try finding a coinstar and see if you can get an amazon gift card. I don't think there is a minimum for the coinstar is there?

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Nope, no minimum as far as I've discovered. 
deb

·
Registered
460 Posts
I usually buy one gift-card a month and consider it my "budget" for the month; it seems to work well, and I get around the 1C issue with my credit card.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I solved my problem in a round about way. I signed up and got an Amazon credit card. I ordered the two books I wanted for 1 cent; and they went through instantly. Then I placed an order for a few items I have been wanting, and will get $30 off my credit card. I am happy!
  Kdawna

I plan to try out the gift card method soon.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The reason the .01 charges don't work is that many banks automatically block micro payments. This is because fraudsters often try to push through those charges to see if the card is valid.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
akjak said:
The reason the .01 charges don't work is that many banks automatically block micro payments. This is because fraudsters often try to push through those charges to see if the card is valid.
I did not know about that. Thanks. My card told me that one of ways a card is checked is through a gasoline pump. They try your card in the pump, it's accepted, and then they proceed to use it inside the store. If I use my card for gas, I use money inside the store for a coffee, drink, snack, etc.
deb

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought Soul Identity for a penny last night with my BOA Debit card with no problem.

Yes, there is a $5 minimum to get the Amazon giftcard at Coinstar.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I havent had a problem with my debit card buying 1 cent books but buying books for both me and my daughter, I have had to put myself on a budget  :D and the GC is the way to go.

Congrats on your Amazon Visa ~ I'm sure you know that you can get GC as a reward!!!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Hmmm.....I actually have not tried this so far with my mastercard. I'm currently using gift cards.................I actually like this method and may just keep using it  :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
akjak said:
That's actually a pretty smart idea.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Kathy said:
My debit card doesn't like the 0.1 items either. Try finding a coinstar and see if you can get an amazon gift card. I don't think there is a minimum for the coinstar is there?
I used my debit card directly on Amazon's website to buy myself a gift card. I had it emailed to myself & then applied it to my account on Amazon.

I don't want to use my debit card as the one click payment method (just in case). This also enables me to keep better track of what I am spending on books, since I don't have to track a bunch of small charges on my credit card statement.

But I am planning a visit to Coinstar with a box of loose change that I have been collecting...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts