Kindle Forum banner

Unappropiate review?

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  jayreddy publisher 
#1 ·
Hi!

I reveive many good reviews, and few bad ones. But the last review is different. Do you think it can be considered as unappropiate? Or not?

(1 star)
I feel Cheated

Honestly, these are the types of books with a nice cover and with a history that seems original, but unfortunately, when you finish reading it -forced, because you paid for it- it bothers you, and you feel cheated. I don´t recommend it.

I accept to receive bad reviews, but accusing me of Fraud, or to scam people... it´s not a literary review, but a personal accusation.

What do you think?

#3 ·
Hi george, thanks for your input!

I´ve translated into english the original Spanish review. In spanish, he says: "Me siento estafado"

"Estafa" is a hard to translate word. I´ve translated with the less agresive word: cheat. But "Cheat" is much more related to "trap", or "deception". "estafa", the original word, is often used in spanish as a crime, or a law infringement. Usually used when money is involved.

"Swindle" is the first option in dicctionary.

#4 ·
You are taking the phrase much too literally which isn't how it was meant. :)

I might say I feel cheated because the ice cream wasn't as tasty as I thought it would be without accusing the grocery of fraud. It's just an expression.

#7 ·
Ah, I see.  I think the proper translation in the U.S. would be "ripped off"--feeling like you exchanged money for something that wasn't worth it.

But still, he probably meant that in a figurative sense, not literally.  I'm guessing he didn't like the way the book ended and so felt cheated for having put the time in.  I have that reaction to books and movies sometimes, and it's just my personal reaction--I wanted a different ending, darn it, so I feel cheated.  But that's not a statement of value of the product; other people will probably like the ending.  

I know it's easier said than done, but...Shrug it off!

:) Maria

#9 ·
They're not accusing you of anything. Even so, they can say what they think about the book without it being inappropriate.

Here is what Amazon labels as inappropriate:

Inappropriate content:
• Crucial plot elements (unless you offer a clear "spoiler alert")
• Other people's material (this includes excessive quoting)
• Phone numbers, postal mailing addresses, and URLs external to Amazon.com
• Details about availability or alternate ordering/shipping
• Videos with watermarks
• Comments on other reviews visible on the page (because page visibility is subject to change without notice)
• Foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product)

#10 ·
If it makes you feel better, I would never pay attention to a review like that.  I would ignore it, as it was too personal.  They didn't really tell me anything about the book.  I don't think it will have any effect at all, so try to ignore it.  That is hard to do, I know.  

#12 ·
At least they said your cover was attractive, so they did leave you a nugget of marketing advice - that's a good point. And you made them feel something, even if it was negative.

Your book looks strong and has many favourable reviews, so I'd put this behind me if I were you. Maybe tick it as "not helpful" if you want.

#13 ·
It's an expression we use in Spanish which means "I feel gypped." I said that when I saw "the lion king" which everybody loved and I hated. I used it because it cost me a lot of money and it just wasn't worth it. Your book must have cost a fraction of that so it was very spiteful on his part. I hate to tell you this but he hated your book, he didn't mean you're a fraud or that you scammed him, he simply hated the book and felt it wasn't worth his time. Let it go and don't dwell on it, you're not going to please everyone. You do the best job you can do but reading is very subjective and one's man's poison is another's delight, remember that. So chin up and grow another layer of skin as the other writer so aptly put it.

#14 ·
Ouch. Estafar in Spanish means defrauded, more or less, with a nasty "screwed over" connotation. Al menos, es asi en México. Having said that, I still think you're going to have to live with it. I have a couple of reviews attacking me on religious grounds, including one that implies that either God or religious zealots will punish me. I don't think there's anything you can do except shrug and move on.

#16 ·
Beatrice Brusic said:
It's an expression we use in Spanish which means "I feel gypped." I said that when I saw "the lion king" which everybody loved and I hated. I used it because it cost me a lot of money and it just wasn't worth it. Your book must have cost a fraction of that so it was very spiteful on his part. I hate to tell you this but he hated your book, he didn't mean you're a fraud or that you scammed him, he simply hated the book and felt it wasn't worth his time. Let it go and don't dwell on it, you're not going to please everyone. You do the best job you can do but reading is very subjective and one's man's poison is another's delight, remember that. So chin up and grow another layer of skin as the other writer so aptly put it.
Except "gypped" is considered by many to be a racist turn of phrase, so it might be better to watch that one. "Ripped off," as meromana noted, is a bit less controversial. ;)

#17 ·
Sorry to hear about the review. I suspect the best revenge would be to write and sell more books.

#19 ·
Javier Gimenez Sasieta said:
Ok, thanks guys for your opinions. I believed it breaked the review guidelines:

Objectionable material:
• Profanity or spiteful remarks

Now I see you have a different opinion. It´s good to have different points of view!

I won´t do anything.

Thanks for your support,

Javier
I agree that you probably should let it go, but I also understand the "dual" meanings--where one is a literal translation and the other is a swear or slang word. This happens a lot in any community where there are two languages. Where I grew up, it was common practice to call someone "a little goat" -Literal- in Spanish. BUT. It really meant something much nastier. It is all in the intent of the words, isn't it?

The good news is that the extremely negative connotation will not be understood by many readers. So while it isn't a nice review, using curse words in such a public forum almost always makes the person USING THEM look bad. It reflects poorly on the person who wrote the review, not you.
[/quote]

#21 ·
While this review is pretty harsh, I do not believe it to be a personal attack. I am new to KindleBoards but we have had an inappropriate review on amazon that was taken off. I was from an author who we declined to sign, who then went and blasted our books after. In this business, you have thick skin and take the bad reviews with a grain of salt, and focus on the people you like your product. Don't be discouraged because one person doesn't like your story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.