Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, It's $1.99 today and I'm thinking about getting it ..... I loved much of his early novels (Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, The Stand, Firestarter) and short story collections and I've read much of it more than once. BUT, I stopped reading king in the early-90s after either Delores Clairborne or Needful Things because I felt like he just hadn't been trying all that hard for awhile and was instead just pumping out books. I tried, earlier this year, to read 11/22/63 and found it self-indulgent and overly long - it needed an editor to go in and strip out much of the fluff; I stopped around 50% when I realized I didn't care.

Under the Dome sounds interesting albeit an odd choice in premises for him. And it's over 1000 pages long. So, do you think I will get into it or will I want to red-line entire scenes and give up halfway through?

EDIT: Note that Under the Dome is no longer $1.99... --Betsy/KB Mod

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
I got it. For 1.99 I wouldn't pass it up. I spend more than that on indies.. and I know King writes well.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Here's the link for those who didn't notice the KDD...

Like BT, I had to pick it up. Couldn't resist. Probably read it in San Diego....

Betsy

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
At that price, I'd go for it.

I don't want to put anybody off, but I don't rate it among his better books, or even midlist. Won't go into reasons why as don't want to spoil it. However, many readers seem to really like it. It's been mentioned positively on other threads here. And we all have such widely divergent tastes that you may all love it. It would be interesting to hear reactions after you're read it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just got it at Amazon then came here and saw this thread. I haven't read a Stephen King book in quite awhile and I'm looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Add me to the "got it" list. For $1.99 I'll take the chance on it.
Wish I had waited until today to get 11/22/63. $3.99 is a bargain for that book, even though it took reading it twice for me to give it a very positive thumbs up.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Sadly I'd bought it a while ago -- my brother who shares my account is a huge King fan and wanted it when it came out.  He read it -- never told me how he liked it.  One of these days I may even read it. :)

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Geoffrey said:
So, It's $1.99 today and I'm thinking about getting it ..... I loved much of his early novels (Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, The Stand, Firestarter) and short story collections and I've read much of it more than once. BUT, I stopped reading king in the early-90s after either Delores Clairborne or Needful Things because I felt like he just hadn't been trying all that hard for awhile and was instead just pumping out books. I tried, earlier this year, to read 11/22/63 and found it self-indulgent and overly long - it needed an editor to go in and strip out much of the fluff; I stopped around 50% when I realized I didn't care.

Under the Dome sounds interesting albeit an odd choice in premises for him. And it's over 1000 pages long. So, do you think I will get into it or will I want to red-line entire scenes and give up halfway through?
For a $1.99, I'd get it. I read it in hardcover, and that was a chore just to hold the book. I actually liked 11/22/63 better, but both could have used some editing to cut unnecessary parts. It might not be worth $20 or something, but for the price, it's definitely worth that much. The opening chapter was very creepy to me in that King way, so for that alone, I'd get it.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
less than two tenths of a cent per page. ;D

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
less than two tenths of a cent per page. ;D
Thanks to this post, I got not just Under the Dome, but Odd Thomas, by Dean Koontz. It is also just $1.99. I haven't read that one yet, so I hope it's worth it!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I didn't realize 11/22/63 was also on sale. That's one I've been wanting for awhile!

Looks like I'll be spending February reading Stephen King! If I get done early in the month, I can always re-read The Stand. ;D

Betsy

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
wholesalestunna said:
I did the same... Hopefully more popular books will be going on sale in the future too
MaryMcDonald said:
Thanks to this post, I got not just Under the Dome, but Odd Thomas, by Dean Koontz. It is also just $1.99. I haven't read that one yet, so I hope it's worth it!
You might keep an eye on our Kindle Daily Deal thread:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,81254.0.html

There's a new book (books, lately) every day. Both Under the Dome and Odd Thomas were announced in that thread early today. ;)

Betsy

·
Registered
389 Posts
Funny just how often King shows up on a general ebook forum.  Fine by me though since I love all his work  :)

Under The Dome is a pretty solid read.  Best to ignore the story behind the dome itself and focus on the character reactions to it; that's where the whole thing shines.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
I find King uneven, but when he's good, he's really good.  For two bucks, I bought it within seconds of seeing it at that price.  If it stinks, I've lost little.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Many of the reviews I saw mentioned that the only bad guys were Christians (who of course were all evil, hypocritical, nutjobs), I pretty much skip those these days. Its a sell job that I don't buy and don't think matches reality.

Otherwise, I was really interested.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
The book is good, but hardly his best.  His most recent one "11/22/63" is one of his best recent novels.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts