Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the Amazon Tax Central page:

The first and third options show me the same Amazon 1099. It does not include international sales.

The second shows me the Audible income.

Is the last one for international sales? That is, "Associates" = "Other Countries"? When I click on that, it says:

Form 1099 will be available for download by [/size]January 20th[/size][/size]If you don't see a form available for download, it could be that:[/size]Your annual payments did not exceed the IRS Form 1099-MISC reporting threshold ($10 in Royalties/Rents OR $600 in Service payments)
  • Your payments are not subject to IRS Form 1099-MISC reporting based on your federal tax classification (i.e. companies like (LLCs) that are treated as C- or S-Corporations)
  • The type of payments you received are not subject to IRS Form 1099-MISC reporting (e.g. payments for tangible goods such as inventory)

• [/size]I'm wondering if is the international sales, but they are late. If it's not, when do I get the international sales 1099s?

Thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It looks to me as though they're breaking out income by type as follows:

Createspace - hardcopy
Audible - audio Books
KDP - eBooks
Associates - Affiliate link program.

As an accountant, I would group income by type (as above), and as such, the category would combine domestic and international sales. I would think the Zon, since they're differentiating income, are saying that your affiliate income (which is service, not royalty income) is less than 600 or you're set up as something other than a disregarded entity. If either is true, no 1099 would be required.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the thing: When I add up all the US-only payments I got in 2019, it comes out with the approximate figure on the 1099 for KDP.

But there are additional thousands of dollars from international sales that do not show up in the 1099.

I'm hoping that those just haven't been reported yet, and there will be an additional 1099 that I'll get later.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here's hoping. Amazon and the rest of the United States has until Jan. 31 to mail 1099's or face substantial penalties with a cap of $250,000 (for large businesses) if they are late by up to 30 days. If they intentionally don't file, there is no cap on penalties.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
>The first and third options show me the same Amazon 1099. It does not include international sales.

What I see is a bit different, but the result is the same. I got an email from Associates giving me a link to the 1099. I went there and it was for many thousands of dollars in the ROYALTY box, so was obviously KDP.

When I went to the link provided at my KDP account, I saw (like you) three items, but the top one was something stupid like SOR, and not 1099s were available. Then there was CreateSpace, which of course had none for 2019. And finally there was Audible. So I have a report on what must be KDP and a report on Audible, but nothing from Associates.

I don't file until April 1. so I figure I'll just wait and see if any corrections come through. If not, I'll assume that Associates for some reason got included with KDP (or vice versa!). I might owe a few dollars, but the paperwork backs me up.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I, on the other hand, only have  - Create Space - Flexible Payment Systems - Audible - on my Amazon Tax Central page. There is no KDP. What's up with that, Amazon?

Well, I had to go to "My Account" at the top of the KDP page, then go to the bottom of the page and click the grey rectangle with "View/Provide Tax Information" - that has my KDP 1099 form. Not a big deal, but I was wondering where to find it since it wasn't with my other  1099's.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
Yeah, they are having major problems this winter, thinking out things, paperback sales reports and 1099s especially.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
TromboneAl said:
Here's the Amazon Tax Central page:

The first and third options show me the same Amazon 1099. It does not include international sales.

The second shows me the Audible income.

Is the last one for international sales? That is, "Associates" = "Other Countries"? When I click on that, it says:

Form 1099 will be available for download by [/size]January 20th[/size][/size]If you don't see a form available for download, it could be that:[/size]Your annual payments did not exceed the IRS Form 1099-MISC reporting threshold ($10 in Royalties/Rents OR $600 in Service payments)
  • Your payments are not subject to IRS Form 1099-MISC reporting based on your federal tax classification (i.e. companies like (LLCs) that are treated as C- or S-Corporations)
  • The type of payments you received are not subject to IRS Form 1099-MISC reporting (e.g. payments for tangible goods such as inventory)

• [/size]I'm wondering if is the international sales, but they are late. If it's not, when do I get the international sales 1099s?

Thanks.

My 1099 looks exactly like this. While it says in the first and the third that it's for Amazon.com, it does include international sales. At least it does on mine. I just did a manual count.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Does anyone have any idea how to retrieve 1099 from a cash advance from a publisher? I had one from audible this year and no idea where to get the info for taxes.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
RD said:
Does anyone have any idea how to retrieve 1099 from a cash advance from a publisher? I had one from audible this year and no idea where to get the info for taxes.
Are you saying that you got a cash advance from Audible? (That seems very unlikely.)

The Audible 1099-MISC that I received showed all Amazon publishing income. That was obviously an error, but it scarcely mattered. There was no correction, so I filed my taxes as I usually do on April 1 using the information I had been given.

Certainly, a cash advance is taxable. It's an advance on royalties. When the royalties are earned, up to the amount of the advance, you won't receive any money, hence no taxable income. I've never had to repay a cash advance, but if that should happen (Amazon doesn't operate like a normal publisher) then the repayment is deductible in the year it's repaid, like any business expense.

It's not a loan. It's an advance against expected income, which made sense in the days when Big Five publishers took the better part of a year before paying the royalties. Even a university press that I did business with gave me an advance of $2500. It also then paid $400 for artwork (a map), which I repaid as agreed by vetting two submissions to the press. The book sold quite well (40,000 copies as I recall, plus a book club sale) so the royalties began fairly soon, I think in the year after publication.

·
Registered
235 Posts
notjohn said:
Are you saying that you got a cash advance from Audible? (That seems very unlikely.)

The Audible 1099-MISC that I received showed all Amazon publishing income. That was obviously an error, but it scarcely mattered. There was no correction, so I filed my taxes as I usually do on April 1 using the information I had been given.
It doesn't show it on my Audible 1099.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts