Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, moments ago, I received an e-mail from a publisher wanting to do a print version of my original e-book thriller The Devil's Bait. The publisher is someone I know and respect, and though it's a small press, it's a solid one (with excellent connections in Hollywood).

Thing is, I never even submitted this one for publication--despite more than a dozen years as a working novelist, writing books for most of the majors--because I wanted to dip my toes into the digital seas. If I take a small press print deal, does that scotch the e-xperiment? Or is it a case of the more the merrier?

As Ricky Ricardo might say, I got some decidin' to do...

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
I don't know, Jeff, I guess it comes down to what you want for this particular book and where you feel you can make the most money. I will say that I've found self-publishing (in my case) to be more lucrative than writing for small presses. It isn't just about royalty percentages but the fact I can afford to price my self-published ebooks at whatever price I think readers will be willing to pay. I don't have that pricing control over my small press stuff.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
I don't think it invalidates the experiment at all.

Would they have noticed and offered had you not put it out there, indie-style?

Whatever the answer is, if what you get in return (connections to Hollywood, etc.) are sufficient compensation for what you're giving up, that's your answer.

If it's not, that's your... other answer. :)

And nothing's stopping you from coming up with yet another "something new" and going indie with that piece....

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
You said they want the print rights. Does that mean you get to keep the e-rights? If that's the case, I see it as a win win. If they want the e-rights as well, then you do have some thinking to do about what you want out of this book.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
DChase said:
You said they want the print rights. Does that mean you get to keep the e-rights? If that's the case, I see it as a win win. If they want the e-rights as well, then you do have some thinking to do about what you want out of this book.
Yes. This.

Vicki

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Congrats, Jeff.  Nice to have a publisher coming to you :)

I suppose it depends on what you want to get out of the e-experiment, what rights the publisher wants, what is the advance/royalties and what they're going to offer you in terms of exposure.  Good luck.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Wow, Jeff, that was fast! 

It really goes to show that publishers---all kinds of publishers---are scouring the ebook list for viable properties. I'm with Vicki on this one.  Keep the ebook rights. 

Prestigious publishers are great, but you could make a living the other way.  The best of both worlds would be... the best of both worlds. 

·
Registered
57 Posts
I haven't got a print pub offer, but I am getting foreign translation rights offers which I'm following up on. Has anyone here sold foreign translation rights yet?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
How fast can you write? If you can produce a lot of new work over the next couple of years, it makes sense to take a risk with one of your properties. If it will take you three years to write the next book, you need to be more cautious in selling your rights for what amounts to forever.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Michael, Jeff is one of those rare writers who is both fast and good! 

You have a good point.  By the way, shameless plug for Jeff, but his desert thriller trilogy, MISSING WHITE GIRL, THE RIVER RUNS RED, and COLD BLACK HEARTS is incredible.  Which reminds me, Jeff - I got my rights back from NAL without a peep from them. Give it a go, I bet Jove will let you have them. If you act fast!  

·
Registered
586 Posts
JeffMariotte said:
So, moments ago, I received an e-mail from a publisher wanting to do a print version of my original e-book thriller The Devil's Bait. The publisher is someone I know and respect, and though it's a small press, it's a solid one (with excellent connections in Hollywood).

Thing is, I never even submitted this one for publication--despite more than a dozen years as a working novelist, writing books for most of the majors--because I wanted to dip my toes into the digital seas. If I take a small press print deal, does that scotch the e-xperiment? Or is it a case of the more the merrier?

As Ricky Ricardo might say, I got some decidin' to do...
I'd say all things considered the more the merrier. Did you have plans to self-pub a print edition? Are you waiting for a biggie to offer a deal?
Lucy need some more 'splainin'
Anyway, good for you!
:)

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
J. Carson Black said:
Michael, Jeff is one of those rare writers who is both fast and good!

You have a good point. By the way, shameless plug for Jeff, but his desert thriller trilogy, MISSING WHITE GIRL, THE RIVER RUNS RED, and COLD BLACK HEARTS is incredible. Which reminds me, Jeff - I got my rights back from NAL without a peep from them. Give it a go, I bet Jove will let you have them. If you act fast!
In that case, it sounds like there are some definite possibilities here, providing the terms are good. Like Maggie, I've made a decision to keep on foot in the indie camp and one in the camp of a separate publisher. I'm hoping to build a regular income via indie work and an occasional big check via a publisher. It's a strategy that sounds good in theory, at least.

I know a lot of people are down on agents, but this is the sort of thing a good agency can help you negotiate.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Isn't the key to marketing having your eggs in multiple baskets?

The self-pub way = 1 basket
The Indie-publishER way = another basket

It's another method to get your name 'out there' and draw attention to self.

Personally, I'd be all over it if your'e comfortable with the deal and it fits in your long-term strategy for career growth. I want to see my books with an Indie publisher while I may self-pub some shorts and then I may still go for the big guys ... but we'll see. :)

Good luck! Go Hollywood! :) :)
Aimee

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trying to respond to multiple posts/suggestions/questions, since I pretty much can't get on here until evening except on weekends...

Going with a small press doesn't do much for me in terms of name recognition--if S&S, Penguin, Harper, Warner et al (not to mention DC Comics, Image Comics, etc.) can't make me a household name, a press few people have ever heard of isn't likely to turn that around. That said, it can't hurt, either--or it can, at the very least, expose me to a different group of readers.

My hesitation is that I specifically chose not to offer this book to publishers, or even to show it to my agent, because I wanted to see what I could do with it on my own. Of course, as Craig points out, part of what I apparently did with it on my own was interested this particular publisher. So chances are I'll take the deal (pending, of course, the rest of the details, which are as yet forthcoming), as an extension of the experiment in a different direction. I won't let go of e-rights and I'll keep pushing the digital version myself (so read it, already!).

My experience with small presses is limited--I've only published one book, The Slab, with a small press, and then self-pubbed the re-release, minus illustrations and $16 cheaper. So it'll be a learning experience that way, too.

Thanks for the input, folks, and I'll keep you posted! KB people are terrific!

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
DC? Image?

Yeesh, no wonder.

Write one issue of X-Men that doesn't suck and you'll be right up there with Chris Claremont's GOD LOVES, MAN KILLS ... ;)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
JoanReeves said:
I haven't got a print pub offer, but I am getting foreign translation rights offers which I'm following up on. Has anyone here sold foreign translation rights yet?
I've sold foreign rights to Czech Republic, Poland, Germany, Spain, France, Germany. Don't do foreign without a foreign rights agent - if you need one I can refer you to the one we use.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts