Kindle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
JeanneM said:
I know this is upsetting to some, but I for one, am so happy that we have now found our new President of the He-Man Woman Hater's Club. It has been so empty since Alfalfa died. :'(
:D

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
And the greatest novel ever written according to a recent NY Times poll is To Kill a Mockingbird, written by Harper Lee, a...wait for it...a woman! Really, genius? To Kill a Mockingbird is "romantic tosh". Brilliant. Oh well, takes all kinds.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I have heard of Naipul for many years, as a name in literary fiction who is terribly important but probably not someone I care to read. He is older, he is from a culture that devalues women, and according to Wikipedia he may have actually hit one wife on a few occasions. So now I know I don't want to read him.

·
Registered
586 Posts
vrabinec said:
And the greatest novel ever written according to a recent NY Times poll is To Kill a Mockingbird, written by Harper Lee, a...wait for it...a woman! Really, genius? To Kill a Mockingbird is "romantic tosh". Brilliant. Oh well, takes all kinds.
Wonder why she never wrote another book?

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Let me throw an anecdotal analogy at you folks.

When I was a younger man, (a hundred years ago), I took a trade school course in cabinetmaking. Wasted two whole years of my life only to discover that when it came to handiwork I made Red Green look good.

Best cabinet maker in our class was a girl. In fact, she was a little girl, maybe five-foot-nothing. She was careful, she was artistic, she knew how to use a measuring tape and even to count. I was sooooooooo far behind that girl it wasn't even funny.

Skill and talent in any area of creativity doesn't have a goddamn thing to do with gender!

Writing, cabinet making, painting - what ever you want to name - that extra X chromosome doesn't hurt you one bit.

I'm here to testify.

Give me an amen from the tablesaw!!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
His comment sounds like every old-man-Indian I've had awkward conversations with beside the samosa tray, at the buffet table of every single overdone Indian wedding I've ever been to.

And if I had given a crapola what every old-man-Indian thought of me, I wouldn't be thirty, unmarried, and publishing edgy (some-might-say "mannish") humor on Amazon.

Suck it, uncle-ji !!!

bwahahaahahaha 8)

Hey uncle-ji, do you think this cake will make me fat? Will it lessen my arranged-marriage prospects? Should I stop writing and go to the gym instead?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Marcin Wrona said:
The Conan Cookbook: Blueberry Scones

- Set aflame your oven, until it is the mouth of hell and the shrieks of the damned can be heard from within.
- Beat sugar, margarine and unborn chickens, until thews strain mightily and the mixture resembles battlefield viscera.
- Let berries fall from your hand.
- Sear within the iron depths for 10-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!! I'm late but this made me literally Laugh-out-Loud :D

...and I would have you know, that I was ravished by the overwhelming MANSLINESS of your blue berry scone recipe!!!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
dgaughran said:
I was very tempted to write a blog post today and call it "VS Naipul Is An [expletive]". I still might.

Someone gave me one of his books for Christmas - A Bend In The River. I've tried reading it several times. It's so boring. I mean, really slow (and I don't mind slow books if the writing is good).
Useful as a doorstop, just not for the bedroom or bathroom door though:)

·
Registered
586 Posts
dgaughran said:
I was very tempted to write a blog post today and call it "VS Naipul Is An [expletive]". I still might.

Someone gave me one of his books for Christmas - A Bend In The River. I've tried reading it several times. It's so boring. I mean, really slow (and I don't mind slow books if the writing is good).
Perfect for the kitchen door though.

·
Registered
586 Posts
vrabinec said:
I would have gone for Gone with the wind myself. I don't think Margaret Mitchell was even married. How she ever managed to produce such a book without a man to guide her I'll never know. I love the book, the film and the music. If I could meet any author to discuss their book I think it would have to be Margaret Mitchell. Just had another thought, There have been quite a few (can I use a swear word here?) critics who claim that Bramwell Bronte wrote Wuthering heights as well.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Not to mention that there's a theory that TKAM was written by Truman Capote.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
And we have chosen to give this single individual so much attention...why?

Pulitzer or no, how many people here had even heard of him before they saw this thread?

This is what we call a faux controversy. This is nothing more than the opinion of a single person with no authority or power, given too big of a platform by a sector of the media looking for pageviews.
I've heard of him. I've read him. But, you know, you put your best self into your work. What's left over is garbage.

·
Registered
586 Posts
MariaESchneider said:
Actually if you can get your dog to work and pay the bills, that's EXCELLENT News. Well, it would be for me...

;D
I think I'm in some hot water here. I only have an old cat:{

·
Registered
586 Posts
QuantumIguana said:
I've never heard of him. Everyone's heard of Jane Austen. He may have won a prize, but he's still obscure. The world voted, and chose Jane Austen over him. There is plenty of C.J. Cherryh on my bookshelves, his stuff, no. So he can have a little tantrum if that's what he needs to get people to notice.
I'm going to phone him up and whisper a name down the phone: J. K Rowling. Hehe.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Romi said:
His comment sounds like every old-man-Indian I've had awkward conversations with beside the samosa tray, at the buffet table of every single overdone Indian wedding I've ever been to.

And if I had given a crapola what every old-man-Indian thought of me, I wouldn't be thirty, unmarried, and publishing edgy (some-might-say "mannish") humor on Amazon.

Suck it, uncle-ji !!!

bwahahaahahaha 8)

Hey uncle-ji, do you think this cake will make me fat? Will it lessen my arranged-marriage prospects? Should I stop writing and go to the gym instead?

You sound like my kind of person. No offence:)

·
Registered
586 Posts
MichelleR said:
Not to mention that there's a theory that TKAM was written by Truman Capote.
He only wanted to be a woman.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts