Kindle Forum banner
81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
I write mostly pseudo-historical stories, sometimes what-if-history-novels, but because they all feature gay characters and (explicit) romance, of course they're classified as gay novels. Although they're not explicitly aimed at the m/m-romance crowd, some m/m-readers seem to appreciate them. M/m-romances are for the majority written by women.

I actually felt flattered when a reviewer on Amazon thought I was a female author. The Gender Genie agrees with her.

It's all hogwash. But I agree that you need only a few sentences to see if something is written by an idiot. Like Naipaul is.

Reminds me of that other thread where a man said that women couldn't write believable male characters... because they weren't men. Yeah, everybody knows that Stepheny Meyers is a werewolf. (Actually...)

·
Registered
586 Posts
It's all hogwash. But I agree that you need only a few sentences to see if something is written by an idiot. Like Naipaul is.
It shows you what a university education is worth to people of his mindset.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Do we have any data on authors' gender distribution in various genres? Are some evenly distributed? Others weighted one way or another?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
greenpen said:
He only wanted to be a woman.
My understanding is he was gay, and that is not the same thing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
To this character I only have this quote to offer:

"Beware of the man who denounces woman writers; his penis is tiny and he cannot spell."

Erica Jong

·
Registered
91 Posts
Andrew Ashling said:
I write mostly pseudo-historical stories, sometimes what-if-history-novels, but because they all feature gay characters and (explicit) romance, of course they're classified as gay novels. Although they're not explicitly aimed at the m/m-romance crowd, some m/m-readers seem to appreciate them. M/m-romances are for the majority written by women.

I actually felt flattered when a reviewer on Amazon thought I was a female author. The Gender Genie agrees with her.

Reminds me of that other thread where a man said that women couldn't write believable male characters... because they weren't men. Yeah, everybody knows that Stepheny Meyers is a werewolf. (Actually...)
I think women are guilty of creating the kind of male characters they'd like to date. I'm sure Stephanie Meyer would smash Edward Cullen if she could somehow wish him into reality (and ignore all her religiouness that probably frowns on bonking Vampires).

But male writers are guilty of that too. ;D Just about every major guy movie i've seen has "unrealistic" female characters.

"Yeah, I can't wait to see the new Will Smith movie! The one where he has to fight terrorist, blow up an alien attack ship, and beat the crap out of Zombie Hitler--all so he can go back home to his morbidly obsese wife, burnt out emo kids, and student loan collection people!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D It's REALISTIC-ISHOUS!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
greenpen said:
He only wanted to be a woman.
Stupid comment and as offensive as the original quote from the sexist jerk. Sexism does not excuse homophobia.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Charliegirl said:
I think women are guilty of creating the kind of male characters they'd like to date. I'm sure Stephanie Meyer would smash Edward Cullen if she could somehow wish him into reality (and ignore all her religiouness that probably frowns on bonking Vampires).

But male writers are guilty of that too. ;D Just about every major guy movie i've seen has "unrealistic" female characters.

"Yeah, I can't wait to see the new Will Smith movie! The one where he has to fight terrorist, blow up an alien attack ship, and beat the crap out of Zombie Hitler--all so he can go back home to his morbidly obsese wife, burnt out emo kids, and student loan collection people!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D It's REALISTIC-ISHOUS!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Another huge generalization. So ALL women write their fantasy man? I rather doubt it. Neither do all men write Stepford Wife women.

·
Registered
586 Posts
MichelleR said:
My understanding is he was gay, and that is not the same thing.
I'm not sure. I just thought he was effeminate, which isn't the same thing. Maybe he was? What is TKAM anyway?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
greenpen said:
I'm not sure. I just thought he was effeminate, which isn't the same thing. Maybe he was? What is TKAM anyway?
I can't quite piece together what you are saying here. Gay and trans are not the same thing. Gay/lesbian is being attracted to the same sex. Transgender is feeling you were born in the wrong body. Someone can be trans and gay -- meaning that someone can be born a man physically, identify as a woman, and be attracted to women -- or vice versa. I haven't read anything that indicated Truman Capote felt he was truly a woman, and all indications are he was a gay man.

TKAM was my way of abbreviating To Kill a Mockingbird. :)

81 - 90 of 90 Posts