Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important is it to you to have a Unique Title for your book? I keep searching title names and there are so many with the same names. I know no  matter what I choose there are going to be several (hundred)  duplicates. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this subject.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I thought I had varified there wasn't a book by my title before I published.  I, obvioiusly, didn't check well enough.  There is another book by the same title that was published in 2005, not even that long ago.  Oops!  However, I think similarities and close duplicates are inevitable.  I wish mine wasn't exactly the same though.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
It may be hard to be completely unique and it may not be necessary.  But consider that a title (along with a cover and a blurb) is part of your marketing.  Choose wisely.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've got my title set, but I've just been on youtube and someone is using the exact same title for a playlist and it's concerning the same damn theme, I couldn't believe it!

I'm glad it's only a playlist on youtube, but omg. I love my title and want to be the only one using it across all media, lol.

But still, I do think a unique title is important, but it shouldn't matter if it differs only slightly.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
You can't copyright a title.  There are a lot of works out there that have the same title as mine.  Requiem is quite common, Guardian and Sentinel are out there as well.

You only have to watch out for trademarks.  So don't be using Star Wars, Indiana Jones and the ----, or Harry Potter and the------.  But if you want to write a book and Eclipse is the best name for the book.  Go for it, Twilight fans and SM have no say in it.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I think a book should have the title that suits it best. If another book happens to have that title as well, c'est la vie.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Hot Dog Salad said:
I keep searching title names and there are so many with the same names. I know no matter what I choose there are going to be several (hundred) duplicates.
P'shaw. :) There are millions of books and billions of possible titles.

Out of fifteen books, I think I've had unique titles for at least six. That doesn't mean they're better for having unique titles, though. (One reviewer nominated my first novel for "Worst title ever". One book with a unique title has a sales rank of 933,000; another has a sales rank of 663,000. And there is, let's be honest, a reason nobody had previously published a book called "Unmarketable Dross", right?)

One of KB's members has a book called The Reluctant Belsnickel of Opelt's Woods. It's an awesome book, with an awesome, and unique, title.

Then again, KB members also have, I believe, books called "Romance Novel" and "Wool". So it's not like originality is a requisite, or anything. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I am already feeling better about just sticking with my original idea despite the zillion's of duplicates. I was totally going to write an erotic romance called Wool and have it be about a billionaire who pays a women to rub him down with wool dish pads. ;D And now I can! ;)

·
Registered
773 Posts
It's worth it to spend the time to come up with a unique title. I search on Amazon and if there are more than a couple of books with the same title, I'll change it somehow, or pick something different. Consider it an exercise in creativity.

·
Registered
615 Posts
You can never go wrong with a unique title. Especially in popular genre fiction. It's almost disturbing how many fantasy books include the words legacy, legend, and tale in their titles. I love fantasy, but seeing any of those is a good indication the author isn't striving for originality. Although most people find my titles odd, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think titles are very important. Like the cover, it can really catch a reader/buyer's attention or make them just pass it over. I always spend a significant amount of time choosing my titles. My biggest struggle so far is getting away from "The ________". All my titles were "The Apple Tree", "The Dress", etc. Sometimes it worked, and other's, just...no.
It's worth getting right.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hot Dog Salad said:
How important is it to you to have a Unique Title for your book? I keep searching title names and there are so many with the same names. I know no matter what I choose there are going to be several (hundred) duplicates. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this subject.
Hmmm... While I would really LIKE for my books to have unique titles, I know that nothing is stopping someone else from publishing a book with a title I've used in the future, even if I do obsessively tweak my titles so that absolutely nothing else comes up on searches for it.

At the moment, my two soon-to-be-published books both do have duplicate titles, but only one or two. My kids book seems to have another kids book with the same title, and it even seems to have a similar theme.... except that book seems to have been written either in the 60's or 90's or possible 2009 but whenever the heck it was written I can find nothing more than a single sentence describing its contents and zero reviews, anywhere.

My sci-fi post-apocalyptic gay robot hippies piece shares a title with two other books. One was published less than a year ago... it's also sci-fi, but much longer, published for Kindle only, and appears to be some kind of space-romance or something. Okay so my book has in common with that.... a broad genre and the existence of a love story of some kind. The similarities end there, though. I'm not worried about my book being confused with that one. The other is even less likely to be confused with my book -- it looks to be some kind of bitter prattling crap trying to convince religious people that they are stupid. It isn't phrased as such but the tone of the summary seems very condescending and makes it sound like the book is trying to present kindergarten-level science in order to convince those silly ignorant Christians that they are wrong about everything ever. I am REALLY not worried about my book getting confused with that one. It's a shame I'll share a title with that kind of attitude, but neither of those books has a single review, so I don't even think I'm being irrationally idealistic when I say I'm pretty sure I can do better than that. I mean... I wouldn't be bothering trying to publish if I didn't think I could do better than "absolutely no evidence that anyone has ever read these books," right? ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
For what it's worth I think wool is an amazing title. completely original, memorable, even looks cool on the front cover.
I'm currently thinking about this a lot for my WIP.

'Broken Knights'

OR

'The Wizard Merlin Smashes his Private Jet Up.'

One that fits reader expectations for YA PNR, but is kind of bland, or one that attracts attention, but may be annoying and genre-confusing...

·
Registered
68 Posts
jdfield said:
For what it's worth I think wool is an amazing title. completely original, memorable, even looks cool on the front cover.
I'm currently thinking about this a lot for my WIP.

'Broken Knights'

OR

One that fits reader expectations for YA PNR, but is kind of bland, or one that attracts attention, but may be annoying and genre-confusing...
Oh, yeah, "Wool" is a fantastic title. Even though I haven't yet read enough of the series or wasn't paying enough attention to the first part to figure out what the heck it means. XD

I would buy that immediately on principal. Just because it sounds too awesome to not be worth owning JUST FOR THE TITLE. ;D

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Keith Blenman said:
You can never go wrong with a unique title. Especially in popular genre fiction. It's almost disturbing how many fantasy books include the words legacy, legend, and tale in their titles. I love fantasy, but seeing any of those is a good indication the author isn't striving for originality. Although most people find my titles odd, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.
Titles in tradpub are picked by the publishing company much of the time.

They are the ones who repeat "The Dragon's Shadow: Legend of the Hero Warrior" . . .

;)

Hardly the indie author's fault if they follow suit, is it? ;)

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Hot Dog Salad said:
Thanks guys! I am already feeling better about just sticking with my original idea despite the zillion's of duplicates. I was totally going to write an erotic romance called Wool and have it be about a billionaire who pays a women to rub him down with wool dish pads. ;D And now I can! ;)
This idea is solid gold.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dalya said:
This idea is solid gold.
There should be a sequel called Felt. (OOOH DOUBLE ENTENDRE BONUS!) :D

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I chose a title because that was the title I had given a story on . . . September 11, 2001!

And then, published it 11 years later.

Then discovered, on amazon, that there were something like 4 similar titles!

Perhaps I'd have tweaked mine or chosen a different one if searching Amazon had occurred to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts