Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that it was a apropo subject line......  :D

I'm saving for my Kindle and doing research like crazy! My hubby is resigned to the proposed adoptee because he knows how much I love to read.

I know that I'll be moving over to the Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting board here- because I'm concerned about the 'fadeout in direct sunlight' issue and the 'ink not as crisp in K2' issue.

Needless to say, I want my new Baby to be PERFECT with no diseases or 'birth defects'. I know it sounds cold.... but with the economy the way it is- it's daunting to think that I have to spend roughly $65 to get the battery replaced, and have to worry about display 'glitches' too.

I'm naturally pessimistic though- so I know I'll have a 'exceptional' Baby to coddle.

Has anyone heard rumors about K3???  ::) Just kidding!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Linda!

I'll just pull my chair up to the hearth and relax awhile. I've been haunting the Amazon board and here to learn everything I can....

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Greetings and Welcome, *Flower*!
Another avenue for you would be to adopt someones gently used Kindle 1. Several of us on KB have picked up a Klassic Kindle. But which ever Kindle you get, it will amaze you. Reading will never be the same.Glad to have you with us.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Kay!

I'm SOOOOOO looking forward to having something to divert me on trips when my hubby is locked in the homework mode. I don't want to disturb him because he's got assignments due- but I don't want to lug around a humongus purse/duffle full of books either.

My MyPoints account is growing though...... right now I have enough for $150 in Amazon gift cards!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Have you found the Coinstar thread yet?  There are Coinstar machines out there that will pay out in amazon.com gift certificates.  I think that you can go to coinstar.com or something and ind a machine near you that has that option.  Maybe that could help you rack up amazon.com gift certificates???

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Welcome!  Come on in, the water's fine--just remember to buy a dry pak for your Kindle!  LOL

I know the reports of text issues can be concerning.  You may want to keep in mind though that it's very likely the majority of units that have shipped are just fine.  Generally, the loudest voices you hear on the internet are either passionately for or against something, so complaints loom large.  It can be hard to tell how bad a problem really is just from reading online opinions.

Having said that, you'll find here that while people HAVE had genuine issues that required CS assistance, the majority have not.   Most seem to be happy with their K2s.  And if you DO decide you'd prefer the KK, there are plenty of them coming available!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KindleKay said:
Have you found the Coinstar thread yet? There are Coinstar machines out there that will pay out in amazon.com gift certificates. I think that you can go to coinstar.com or something and ind a machine near you that has that option. Maybe that could help you rack up amazon.com gift certificates???
I've seen the Coinstar machines, I just don't like their commission (8% per transaction). It's a great suggestion though- Maybe I can convince SOMEONE to get me one for my birthday in May...... :D

BTW- what's a dry pak?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Don't quote me, but I THINK that if you choose to get paid by amazon gift card, I don't THINK that they charge you the 20% fee.....don't quote me though, cause I have not personally done it since none of the machines near me have the option.  I am going by what I have read on these threads...

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
According to the people who live where it is possible to get a amazon gift card from Coinstar, No fee is charged. Why we can't do that here in Arkansas, is beyond me. Must be some stupid law.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Welcome. Hope you get your Kindle soon. Take all of your change each day and put it in a piggy bank. You will be surprised at how fast it grows. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kathy said:
Welcome. Hope you get your Kindle soon. Take all of your change each day and put it in a piggy bank. You will be surprised at how fast it grows. :)
Should I even say that between saving $1 bills and change, we paid our taxes 2 years ago? We had over $1700 in change and over $1100 in $1 bills. We were using Folgers coffee tubs, and had to use our carry on luggage piece with wheels to get the cannisters into the bank.

The poor staff had to empty the coin machine before we got started.
Last year we cashed in about 6 months worth of change and it was over $600. I'm always stealing hubby's change.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
intinst said:
According to the people who live where it is possible to get a amazon gift card from Coinstar, No fee is charged. Why we can't do that here in Arkansas, is beyond me. Must be some stupid law.
This is correct. No fee is charged when you get the giftcard. This is why it is such a great deal. You get the full value of your money.

L

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
*Flower* said:
Should I even say that between saving $1 bills and change, we paid our taxes 2 years ago? We had over $1700 in change and over $1100 in $1 bills. We were using Folgers coffee tubs, and had to use our carry on luggage piece with wheels to get the cannisters into the bank.

The poor staff had to empty the coin machine before we got started.
Last year we cashed in about 6 months worth of change and it was over $600. I'm always stealing hubby's change.
That is so funny. I live in a condo and when we first moved in we placed all of our quarters in a jar for the laundry down the hall. When we redid the condo 2 years ago I put in a washer and dryer. My husband is still putting quarters in a jar. I don't know what he plans to do with them, but he is out of town right now and I might just go cash them in. After all, it is looking messy with the jar overflowing. All in the name of cleaning house, right? :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Of course!
Just consider it partial payment for cleaning up after him.
And imagine what you could use the money for to help stretch the budget!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Welcome to the boards! Once you do get it, you won't regret it!  :) Enjoy your stay here!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hi Flower - Nice to have you here.  You are not the only non-kindler here, some lurk, some join us, and others?  well who knows what they do.  You will get all kinds of suggestions though for saving money in order to buy your kindle, just be sure and let us know how things are going!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts