Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I have to say that some user names are intriguing. Where do they come from? Other than those who use their real names, I often wonder how someone comes up with their user names. So, I'll start...

When I was in HS and using Mass Transit to go back and forth from mom's workplace to school...men would call me their "chinadoll". When DH and I first discovered the www and needed ids for our email accounts I had tried chinadoll21 but each variation was already taken. I came up with the spelling of china as "chyna" instead, red is my favorite color and 21 is my birthdate.

I'll fess up that it was speckobeans that got me thinking :p

How did you come up with your user name?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Harvey said:
My mother gave me my user name at St. Bartholomew's Hospital many years ago. :)
Hahahah, good one, Harvey!

My father and grandmother dreamt up my user name the night before I was born, because my grandmother couldn't stand the thought of Johanna D'Honneur, the name my mother had picked out. My father didn't like it either, but he wasn't as good as bossing my mom around as her mother was.

And thus I became Leslie.

L

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
My friends came up with my screenname in high school. We all use the same SN's for different sites we use to make it easier to find each other. They are also the screen names we used when we would remake movies for school (we remade Caesar, The Great Gatsby, and Battle Royale) Of my most used SN's it is Vegas_Asian, AsianEyes, or Crasian (crazy+asian= crasian).

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vegas_Asian said:
Crasian (crazy+asian= crasian).
Love that one!

I'm pretty much the same user name elsewhere also ;-p

Some are easy to figure out...like license plates but others have me scratching my head :D

Leslie...funny how your grandma won. Had my mom won I would have been a Constance instead of Christine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mines very original.  I was a techwriter for 18 years.  many years ago I was signing up for some other internet  thingy and techwriter was taken.  Thus tecwritr. :p

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was trying to respond to a thread on the Amazon site, and no matter WHAT name I chose, it wouldn't accept it. Nothing was working. So...I thought about the fact that I like a lot of unusual type books (not just all in one genre), tried Eclectic Reader....and it was accepted! Glory Hallelujah! lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
Scathach is mine and my great grandmothers middle name (its not really pronounced how it looks).  It is also the name belonging to an Scottish/Irish Goddess I honor as well. 

·
Registered
509 Posts
Mine comes from the days I spent on the shooting sports circuit. In bullseye competition, Ten rounds In the target X ring is a perfect score, usually expressed as 100-10X, but that oddly enough was taken.

·
Registered
48 Posts
chynared21 said:
Ok...I have to say that some user names are intriguing. Where do they come from? Other than those who use their real names, I often wonder how someone comes up with their user names. So, I'll start...

When I was in HS and using Mass Transit to go back and forth from mom's workplace to school...men would call me their "chinadoll". When DH and I first discovered the www and needed ids for our email accounts I had tried chinadoll21 but each variation was already taken. I came up with the spelling of china as "chyna" instead, red is my favorite color and 21 is my birthdate.

I'll fess up that it was speckobeans that got me thinking :p

How did you come up with your user name?
Thanks Chynared, I never would have read your name as "China" if you did not explain that. ;D

·
Registered
48 Posts
TBarney= T is for the first letter of my first name.  Barney is the nickname for my last name. Another teacher at school started calling me that years ago, because there were alot of other students/teachers in our school with the same name and they all went by Barney, so he added the T in front of it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Many years ago when I was a professional  clown, (yes I got paid twice  ;D) I used the name Dorie.  Then when I wanted an internet name I used Dori because I forgot I had an "e" on it earlier.  Cleaning out old clown stuff I found a button that said Dorie.  I am still clowning around but no longer clowning around if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Once upon a time I played on an all girl pool team named Octopussy. From there I picked up Octochick as my first email address and also used it for my eBay and Amazon ids. I do not use that much any more. I use cuechick on the pool forums I frequent. I almost used that here but decided to go old school with Octo since I also still use it at Amazon. The end.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
My name is actually Judith (I go by Judy) and my mom named me that because it means "Praise God" in Hebrew.  So, I use PraiseGod whenever I need a username.  And, I have zillions of "13s" in my life ie:  birthdate, birth weight (the ounces.... not the pounds), two sons' calendar birth dates are 13 days apart..... and on and on.  So, since 13 is my very favorite number.... I use it whenever I can.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Dori said:
Many years ago when I was a professional clown, (yes I got paid twice ;D) I used the name Dorie. Then when I wanted an internet name I used Dori because I forgot I had an "e" on it earlier. Cleaning out old clown stuff I found a button that said Dorie. I am still clowning around but no longer clowning around if you know what I mean.
Ah, and I thought Dori was your real-life name. I'm learning new things in this thread.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Scathach said:
Scathach is mine and my great grandmothers middle name (its not really pronounced how it looks). It is also the name belonging to an Scottish/Irish Goddess I honor as well.
How *do* you pronounce it? That's a cool story.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Teninx said:
Mine comes from the days I spent on the shooting sports circuit. In bullseye competition, Ten rounds In the target X ring is a perfect score, usually expressed as 100-10X, but that oddly enough was taken.
I had wondered about yours, Teninx. My incorrect thinking was that the 'X' stood for the Roman numeral for ten. Now, I get it.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts