Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night someone registered here, and within a few hours sent several unwanted PMs to various members. These were of the creepy "I'd like to get to know you better" variety.

I've deleted those PMs, and banned the member.

If anyone encounters PMs like that, just send me a PM or alert any moderator.

Tip: Did you know that you can block any member from being able to send a PM to you? To do this, go to Profile > Personal Message Options, and add the member name to the IgnoreList. Then click on the Change Profile button. (But also please do report any inappropriate PM activity, so we can keep that person from bothering anyone else.)

Thanks.

- Harvey

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Really appreciate this Harvey.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
My I just observe that you "boys" seem to think this is funny.  I assure you, for a female who receives that sort of message it is not funny at all. . . . .so, please understand that we are Very Appreciative of Harvey for nipping this guy in the bud, and will not hesitate even a second to let him know if any other members send such messages.

Now, I'm not saying any of you all would do such a thing because I don't think you would.  But, you don't seem to get why we find it kind of creepy.  And I, for one, don't appreciate that you make light of it.

Don't mean to be a downer. . . .but I don't think it's a joking matter.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I delete these PM's right away. They usually don't continue to repeatedly send them if you don't respond back.

Sailor

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I am very sorry that any of our female members received these offensive PM's and very glad we have an admin. that will respond quickly and appropriately.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Thank you Harvey, and thank you for hidding our emails automatically too. It's nice to know someone is keeping an eye on the safety of the boards.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
My I just observe that you "boys" seem to think this is funny. I assure you, for a female who receives that sort of message it is not funny at all. . . . .so, please understand that we are Very Appreciative of Harvey for nipping this guy in the bud, and will not hesitate even a second to let him know if any other members send such messages.

Now, I'm not saying any of you all would do such a thing because I don't think you would. But, you don't seem to get why we find it kind of creepy. And I, for one, don't appreciate that you make light of it.

Don't mean to be a downer. . . .but I don't think it's a joking matter.
Point taken. I apologize.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
I agree with Intinst - ladies I apologize ahead of time for any inappropriate messages that a fellow may make. And I also am most happy that Harvey and the mods (as usual) are on top of this issue and take corrective action.
And Sailor, I certainly hope that you have not had these contacts on KB, but if you have, I am sorry to hear it.  I believe that such "stalking" is just as loathsome in the internet as it is in the physical world.  And I have very strong feelings about any male that would violate a child or a woman.  Sorry, I will stop here.
Just sayin.....

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Though infrequent, we have had members, both male and female, receive harassing messages in the past.  (Note that Harvey did not indicate the gender of the members who had received the messages he cited.)  If any of you get any inappropriate PM, we encourage you to report it to a mod, just as you would any post you found offensive.

You can quote a PM that has been sent, just as you can quote a post, and it will give us the name of the sender as part of the quote.  We can take it from there.

Betsy

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Thank you Harvey and Mods for looking out for us.  I appreciate that you jumped right on this and put a stop to it.  It sounds really creepy and disturbing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts