Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks ago, TattooedWriter posted about his results with the Dean Wesley Smith method. As an experiment, I too have been using it with surprising results, especially when the books are in a series. In today's KDP report, my series titles far outsell my standalones. But under one particular pen name where I've had some significant success, my series seem to be lifting my standalone titles.

I have three pen names currently. One is Contemporary romance (22 titles), a pen name which has shown the most success. The other is a thriller pen name (Five Titles) and finally I write under the name I have posted under here. (Paranormal Romance, 12 titles)

Discounting my own name under my pen names everything is 2.99 and ranges in wordcount from 10-35k. Nothing is at 99c

I have to say it hurts the ego when the pen names far outsell your own name but it certainly helps the bank balance.

Bilinda

ETA Six weeks royalties have been posted on page 2.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Thanks for posting. We just starting putting up some shorter backlist stories and I've been unsure about price. I'm at 99 cents right now for promotions but I might try 2.99 to see how that goes too.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Congratulations & thank you for sharing, especially in the light of the previous thread!  I appreciate you doing that & I'm sure others do too.  :)

It's even more encouraging to see it working out for both of you.  Long may it continue to do so! 

Now, if only I can step up a gear once the little one starts going to nursery for a few hours a week...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thank you indeed for sharing. I hope this doesn't attract a lot of negativity like TW had to face.

If I may ask, and of course you don't have to answer:

About the top 5 sellers (#1-#4 and #6), how many are in a series?
Also of these, how many are 0.99, how many 2.99? Sorry, just noticed you wrote nothing is 0.99

Congrats and good luck in the future.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweetapple .99c is good for a promotion I've never tried it myself although under my name I have one story (Lissie) price matched to free and that brings a little interest. 2.99 can be tough but once something takes root it grows and grows.

Zelah you're welcome I thought I'd bite the bullet and do a little sharing :)

Boris the top four are in a series. Number 6 is the first in a series and I'm hoping to release part 2 in the next couple of weeks.

7,8,9 and 10 are also in a series and 18,19 and 20 are too. I've literally just released number 20 and judging by the emails I've been receiving looking for it that number should grow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
How many of these are in KDP select?  How often do you do free runs?  GREAT job, I am really impressed with these numbers!  Do you have any of these books on B&N or other platforms?  I agree that $2.99 is the best price, .99 cents is a waste of time.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Righterman none of them are in KDP Select and I don't do free runs. I get  as many of them on B&N and everywhere else as I can but I'm in the UK so I can't go direct which is a pain. I tried select with one of my own around christmas time with some very limited success and since then I've haven't gone back. I really do think getting on as many platforms for me is the best route I can take. I'm making nice money from Amazon but I don't want to cut off other revenue streams either. Money is money :D

·
Registered
836 Posts
Wowzer, that's a lot of titles! Good for you! Thanks for sharing. I love seeing these kinds of threads. I just released my first fiction title and it's just laying there. Plan on some promotion, but mostly hoping that once I get books 2 and 3 out, sales will come on their own. Very inspiring to me. Hope sales continue to escalate!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
thanks for posting this. u rock! i've been playing around with this idea as well.

it makes sense that your romance series is doing the best since romance seems to dominate the market. can i ask how long those books are (word count)? i have a new romance novel thats coming out soon and i was seriously thinking about breaking it up into 40K word sections, but i think my readers will kill me. my last romance novel was 60K words and has great reviews, but a few ppl docked it a star b/c it was "too short."

decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
524 Posts
under my pen names everything is 2.99 and ranges in wordcount from 10-35k
I've heard this before and gave it some serious thought before deciding to keep my books at $1.99. Now I'm thinking about it once again--should I try and move the prices up. If I do, I will have to totally rethink my pricing strategy.

Thanks for the information. It always makes me happy to see that shorter works can sell despite some of the price disparities between them and novels.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Thank you for sharing this info, Bilinda! As always, seeing this type of info keeps me motivated to keep on writing at my furious pace (despite my husband complaining  ;)). 

·
Registered
667 Posts
Bilinda--When did you publish your first title? And what did you do to get such impressive sales? I know more titles helped, but surely you had to do something to get the whole thing off the ground, after starting from zero.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
A.R. Williams said:
I've heard this before and gave it some serious thought before deciding to keep my books at $1.99. Now I'm thinking about it once again--should I try and move the prices up. If I do, I will have to totally rethink my pricing strategy.

Thanks for the information. It always makes me happy to see that shorter works can sell despite some of the price disparities between them and novels.
SW posted a study on selling trends and found that the $1.99 price point sold the least number of units. It was interesting. It was like a cursed price point.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Callalily6 My romances are in the 10-18k range so far. I'm trying to increase the length with each release in the series and the next part will be over the 20k mark.

Mike I published my first title under my romance pen name last year. I put out about 12 maybe thirteen titles I think and nothing really seemed to happen so I took a little break from it. I wrote short thrillers and worked on building titles for my own name. Then in June of this year I decided to give it another go with my romance name. I started several series at once and began putting out a title a week. The pace is tiring and sometimes it is a little hard to keep track of. But I've found writing it like a novel and then breaking it into smaller parts to be a big help.

As for what I've done to get it off the ground I can honestly say nothing. I've done no interviews. No giveaways. I've only recently set up a twitter and facebook and blog for the pen name etc because I viewed that as extra work I couldn't afford to do outside of trying to get out a story a week. However, as more and more people contact me I've found I needed somewhere else they could go to, to interact with me and with each other. Hence the blog facebook twitter etc...

A.R Williams I tried the 1.99 price point but I do think its an odd price for customers. I don't know why but nothing I ever did sold at that price. Like everything else though YMMV

1 - 20 of 162 Posts