Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I'd joined a NetGalley co-op with 19 other authors. I own my "spot" in the co-op for a year (instead of the normal 6 months if you go direct) and I can swap out my title throughout the year (which I plan to take full advantage of, since I expect to have approx. 6 new releases this year).

I also volunteered to help out with the approval process for the 20 of us in the co-op (so that the author who organized the entire thing wouldn't get swamped), so I have admin privileges and can see statistics in the account.

I've just passed the 2-week mark, so I thought I'd shared what has happened so far in the very short time I've been in the co-op. I don't know if this is average, below average, or above average. I honestly don't know what to expect. But it's interesting at least. (No, I'm not going to share actual titles -- keeping this quasi-anonymous, although I don't care if you know my own stats.)

Of the 15 titles currently being managed (a few spots have been paid for but the author isn't ready to submit yet), the title with the least number of requests was a spicy contemporary romance that has been requested 55 times, but I don't believe it has been actually live on NetGalley for the full two weeks, so this might not even be a relevant statistic. (My book, a YA contemporary, had the second least number of requests, with 80. It was also the only YA in the sample.) The book that has been requested the most is a New Adult, which has been requested 214 times. The second-most requested book was an erotic romance with 190 requests. (The mean number of requests in our sample of 15 is 105.)

As for my own YA, of the 80 requests, 66 of them were approved (with 18 of those reviewers being added to the auto-approve list). 2 have already resulted in Goodreads ratings (one of which also has resulted in blog reviews and Amazon reviews -- my very FIRST Amazon review, mind you!). Several have resulted in Goodreads TBR adds, and a few have resulted in mentions on their blog as "up next in my TBR pile!" with a picture of the cover.

Here is the breakdown of my own approvals. Of the 66 that have been approved:
24 are book bloggers (who also review on Goodreads and most cross-post to retailers as well)
12 are Goodreads reviewers with large networks
11 are educators (mostly high school and middle school teachers)
11 are librarians (about split evenly between school libraries and public libraries)
5 are booksellers
3 are media professionals (magazines, newspapers)

So there you go. Like I said, I don't know how these results compare to others who use NetGalley, but I thought that was pretty good for 2 weeks and VERY little effort on my own part.

Of course, whether those 66 approvals results in reviews remains to be seen (the 27 librarians, teachers, and booksellers probably won't -- they're most likely requesting to see if it's worth ordering and recommending).

But I still have 50 weeks ago, and still have the right to put in any of my other titles, so I definitely think it will shape up to be $295 well spent.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Amanda! (I'm part of the same co-op as Amanda, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to know what my stats are!)

I think the coolest thing that's come out of being on NetGalley so far was being mentioned in an online article where my book was discussed alongside a recently released NY book - Romance and Me: Healing the Mad Hero. It's just a short piece, but I'm wondering if my book being on NetGalley is the reason it was mentioned at all.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Thank you for sharing, Amanda! This is interesting. I know a lot of the book bloggers I follow (who mainly read trad pub still) get a lot of their ARCs from NetGalley, so that would be a huge deal to have advance copies available there too.

My question is: how does one get into one of these co-ops???

(Not that I'm ready to at the moment. Just wondering.)

And if anyone is willing to share, how much does it cost to join a co-op as opposed to signing up alone? (If an indie is even allowed to sign up alone, that is.)

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Suzanna, I can pull your stats if you're interested. Just let me know!

Rachel, definitely get moving on it! It's completely painless ... once you've paid that is. (And since you've already done that, you have nothing to lose! If the reason you're waiting is because you're not ready with a not-yet-released book, then go ahead and put an old book in so you're not losing time. Seriously, it's easy and even if you swap that out relatively soon with the new book, so still might gain some new reviews for one of the old titles.)

You have nothing to lose!

Laura, I got into the co-op because an author I know was contemplating doing it to bring her cost down but she didn't know if she could find enough people who were interested. Ha! She sold out within a couple of days.

It's $399 to go direct, and that gives you 6 months worth of access to the database. However, NetGalley sells what basically amounts to publisher access for listings of multiple titles. The co-op I'm in bought a package that gives access for up to 20 titles for one year, and it came out to $295 per spot (I'm saying "spot" because I'll be using my spot for potentially up to 6 different books, although only one book at a time of course). So if you can find 19 other authors who are interested, then you could organize your own co-op.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Can you join NetGalley if you are in KDP Select?

I know NetGalley focuses on ARC but I see they do accept already published works.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EmilyG said:
Can you join NetGalley if you are in KDP Select?
That I don't actually know, but it would seem logical that you could since the copies are not being sold but rather distributed for review purposes only. I admit I haven't really looked into the KDP Select rules because I don't use it. Does KDP-S allow you to send out review copies to bloggers? If so, then this is basically a more sophisticated version of querying bloggers to solicit reviews. It may be a slightly less effective for KDP-S books, however, because some book bloggers and other reviewers refuse to review books that won't be available widely to all their readers.

EmilyG said:
I know NetGalley focuses on ARC but I see they do accept already published works.
Yes, and I should note that all but one of the books currently in our co-op are already-published, so it's possible that our request rates might even be on the low side because some bloggers and most "media professionals" (at least those who work for print media, that is) won't review books that have already been released. I do plan to put in a true ARC later this summer, but it wasn't possible for this book at this time, because the co-op was only envisioned about 2 days before my new book even released. LOL!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Amanda, I'd love to see my stats if you get a chance. I've already seen a handful of reviews show up on Amazon and Goodreads and book blogger sites. Really good quality reviews. I'm happy with it so far. Definitely worth it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Very cool, Amanda. Thank you for sharing. What a great opportunity for the pooling of resources to really work out in a beneficial way!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I've looked at Netgalley, but it seemed so expensive. I had no idea about co-ops, so thanks for for sharing your info!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
This is AWESOME. I'm totally looking into setting this up for my Indelibles group.

Thank you for sharing the data!! And... where do I go to get started? (ETA: here's the netgalley page)

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Hey All,

I thought I'd add in my own NetGalley experience so far.

I paid the $399 fee to have access to NetGalley for six months for one title. The title published on April 10th (of this week) and also went up on NetGalley the same day. So far I've received 44 requests and auto-approved them all. It was my view that for this experiment, since I'm paying so much money, I want to reach as many people as possible for reviews as well as word of mouth potential.

NetGalley does accept already published books as well as one's just on KDP. In fact there are couple books on there that published in 2011. Anyway this experiment is just starting but it's going well so far. We'll see when the reviews start coming in. Also if anyone wants to start a co-op I definitely want in.

Updated to add stats:

Book Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Title: Sworn to Raise
Experiment Start: 04/10/13
Requests (so far): 44
Reviews: 0

The only way I'm attributing reviews is if they post them on Netgalley OR they post them on Amazon/Goodreads/etc with a note that said they got the book through NetGalley. I can't add To-Read stats because I have a GR giveaway going simultaneously - would throw off numbers.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Wansit said:
Also if anyone wants to start a co-op I definitely want in.
I'm considering starting one - first exploring with my 25 Indelibles authors (but not all of them will be interested). Can I get a show of hands of who, here on KB, would be interested in a co-op, should I start one?

Also: Amanda - how much work am I signing up for, in managing this thing?

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Susan Kaye Quinn said:
Also: Amanda - how much work am I signing up for, in managing this thing?
I'm not sure. I'm not the one who organized the thing...I just volunteered to log in to the account once or twice a week to do approvals.

The author who organized said that the set-up can be a bit tricky, but once you've done the first couple of titles then it goes much more smoothly and then it's just approving titles after that, but if you want you can set everything to just auto-approve and not do any approvals (we're moderating for now because there have been some really random requests that didn't seem to make much sense but if it gets to be too much work we'll likely just go auto-approve from that point on out).

I can say that moderating the account and doing approvals is pretty fun -- kinda like playing God.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts