Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm hoping this image uploads properly.
First I want I want to thank everyone that encouraged me to keep trying to write erotica. I've finally written two short stories that I'm proud of.

I'm planning on getting my covers created on fiverr and was working on some mock up for how I want it to look, generally speaking.
I'm planning on doing serialized shorts in a diary style. I would like the cover to be the same for every installment, with the only change being the title name in the center band.

Obviously the fonts won't we exactly the same, but what do you think about the overall look? Having the title hand written like a journal entry? Or the way her face is semi-obscured by the title for that bit of anonymity?

It will all be much more polished once I've got it professionally done. I did this with a simple app on my phone, but please let me no your thoughts and if I've just completely lost the plot with this design.

Thank you!

Thank you for your help. The cover images have been removed for pen name privacy.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Not half bad for a phone app! I am no expert; however serials I've noticed up on the Zon tend to have a few more differences than just the title. While the cover image might be the same, isn't each installment usually a different color? I don't read may serials, so take what I've said with a grain of salt and all that.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
I think it's excellent. I think you should just do it yourself! It doesn't really need to be more polished than that for erotica

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lisa_Blackwood said:
Not half bad for a phone app! I am no expert; however serials I've noticed up on the Zon tend to have a few more differences than just the title. While the cover image might be the same, isn't each installment usually a different color? I don't read may serials, so take what I've said with a grain of salt and all that.
Yes, most of the time they change the color or picture, but due to the style of serial this is there could very well be at least 30 installments. Which means I could run out of colors pretty quickly unless we start going dark pink, slightly lighter pink, sliiiiightly lighter pink, etc. So I'm trying to save myself problems down the road. I honestly don't know if I should call this a serial or a series. Each segment definitely stands on its own but they are still tied together with the one main characters. But journal entries can be countless.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Evenstar said:
I think it's excellent. I think you should just do it yourself! It doesn't really need to be more polished than that for erotica
Thank you for your kind words, but just as I refused to publish an erotic story I felt was below my normal writing skills I refuse to publish it with a cover that I'm not 100% proud of. I feel that my erotica deserves the same level of care and professionalism that I am puting into my urban fantasy novels. My writing means the world to me no matter the genre, and to release anything using half measures feels like I'm disrespecting myself and my potential readers. Basically, my 6 year old self would appear and kick my butt! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
You should probably add which number in the series the book is, or else people might just glance over your cover, thinking "I've already got that one", and move on. Wouldn't want that! :D

Great cover for an app, seriously. I'm sure a lot of us has seen much worse covers, and not just in erotica. I like the picture and the composition of the text. Though, as you said, the font could need some tweaking. While I understand your need for not releasing anything sub-par, please remember that nothing is ever 'perfect', and your cover is really nice as it is.  ;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joanna Wentworth said:
You should probably add which number in the series the book is, or else people might just glance over your cover, thinking "I've already got that one", and move on. Wouldn't want that! :D

Great cover for an app, seriously. I'm sure a lot of us has seen much worse covers, and not just in erotica. I like the picture and the composition of the text. Though, as you said, the font could need some tweaking. While I understand your need for not releasing anything sub-par, please remember that nothing is ever 'perfect', and your cover is really nice as it is. ;)
Thank you. Yeah the app only has so many fonts so I just picked the ones that fit my idea eg. Series Title = bold, book title = hand written, author = elegant, lol.

I didn't add the book number as I have no idea how I want it that will keep the design clean on there yet but I will for sure add it as you make a great point.

As for perfection I actually think that the covers for my UF series are perfect, but I'm biased, lol.
But no, I really don't mind spending $25 for this first cover as every one following will only cost $5. $5! Who is going to say "no thank you, I refuse to spend $5 to make my cover extra shiny"? Craaaaazy people that's who, lol.

If you look closely you can see the shutterstock water mark on it. I'm too lazy to buy my own stock and size everything etc etc which is why I'm willing to pay.
$5 for the cover to be made
$10 for them to purchase the image for me
$10 to recieve a copy of the editable file

Once I have the file I just send it back to them each time and they just swap out the title for me. I may be able to learn to do it myself but right now I have way too much on my plate to worry about it. I am SO willing to throw a $5 bill at the problem to make it go away, hahahah!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I think it looks great. I don't like "phone girl" for some reason.

Just the words. And I can't think of an alternative. (sorry! I usually try to have suggestions but my mind is blank- not enough sleep!)

Other than that, it's an awesome cover!

I do my own covers and the first few tries were awful.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dianapersaud said:
I think it looks great. I don't like "phone girl" for some reason.

Just the words. And I can't think of an alternative. (sorry! I usually try to have suggestions but my mind is blank- not enough sleep!)

Other than that, it's an awesome cover!

I do my own covers and the first few tries were awful.
My original title was "Secret Confessions of a Phone Wh*re" but people were pretty sure Amazon would slap the "adult" tag on me and then I'd be screwed.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Stephanie Marks said:
Yes, most of the time they change the color or picture, but due to the style of serial this is there could very well be at least 30 installments. Which means I could run out of colors pretty quickly unless we start going dark pink, slightly lighter pink, sliiiiightly lighter pink, etc. So I'm trying to save myself problems down the road. I honestly don't know if I should call this a serial or a series. Each segment definitely stands on its own but they are still tied together with the one main characters. But journal entries can be countless.
30. lol. Yes, you would certainly run out of colors. So using the same basic cover makes total sense. But I like the idea the other commenter had about putting a book number on it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lisa_Blackwood said:
30. lol. Yes, you would certainly run out of colors. So using the same basic cover makes total sense. But I like the idea the other commenter had about putting a book number on it.
Yeah I did an update mock up but it keeps showing up HUGE! I'm still trying to get it to post right. I added the book number and changed up the series title a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts