Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPDATE: This might not work. Earlier today, a Kindle rep told me how to do this over the phone and it worked for my book, but he may have done something else on his end to update the file, too. He told me that I could always get the latest version of any ebook this way, but he might've been wrong. It's not working on all of my books.

I learned a couple nifty things today.

Here's how to get a new version of a kindle ebook sent to your kindle without calling customer service.

1) On your kindle, delete the current version of the book. Be sure to do this on your actual kindle device, not from your kindle library on Amazon.com (if you do it on the website, you'll have to buy the book again).
2) Go to your "Archived Items" on your actual Kindle (not on the website). You'll find your book there. Click on it and have the book sent to your kindle. Voila.
The "Archived Items" will show up as a single item with the rest of your books. A quick way to find it is to sort your Kindle books by title (you do this at the top of your home screen), and then look for "Archived Items."

I also learned that when you update a book file, the updates to your book happen before KDP finishes "publishing" the book. For example, last night I updated my ebook file. I checked it this morning, and the new version is already there even though my 'Bookshelf' on KDP still says "Publishing." I still have to wait the 24-48 hours before I can do another update, but the book is already updated for customers.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Thanks Moses.  I just did this on my Kindle because I wanted the newest version of Quest for Nobility downloaded to my Kindle.

It worked like a charm.  Thanks for sharing.

Deb

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hmm, this doesn't seem to work on the Kindle Apps yet (or at least Kindle for Mac).  I'll try it out tonight on an actual Kindle.  I know Amazon was suppose to be making it easier to get updated versions of books.  Good to hear its out there.  Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I have never understood why people couldn't get the new version. As a writer, I want people to get the newest version. Though I think it probably erases any bookmarks or highlighting and comments you might have put in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts