Kindle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Ann in Arlington said:
Here's the problem: Amazon said they'd sell NYT bestsellers at 9.99. And you know, they pretty much do. But not all books are on the bestseller list the day they're released, and some never make it. In fact, there are a LOT of books that never make NYT bestseller that are still only 9.99. Or. . .Even Less. . . .But what the whiners heard is 'no book more than 9.99' which is patently false so they get bent out of shape because it's Amazon's fault that they can't understand plain English.

Here's my rule: if I want a book, and feel it's worth the price, I buy it. If I'm not sure, I sample it. And, if I know I want to read it but the price is higher than I want to pay, well, I'll wait. I've got so many books on my Kindle now -- not to mention paper books -- that I wouldn't get to it for a year anyway. :D

BTW, there was someone who had posted a site where you can sign up and they'll watch book prices and notify you when it gets to your "I'll pay this level". . . does anyone remember where that is? (I should probably go look under '"booklovers' links")

Ann
Good analysis of the situation, Ann.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Well, and some of the prices are starting to go well beyond $9.99.

But the bottom line, as a number of others has pointed out, is that price shouldn't be a rating factor. If somebody thinks it's too much, then keep on going! But to sit and spend the time (even if it's a minute or two) to write a bad review just because of the price? Obviously some people just have waaay too much time on their hands!  ::)

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
But to sit and spend the time (even if it's a minute or two) to write a bad review just because of the price? Obviously some people just have waaay too much time on their hands! ::)
On the other hand, maybe it's best to just let them have their fun. (I guess they think it's fun?) It's easily ignored by the sane folks and isn't likely to cause society as we know it to implode. :D

Ann

·
Registered
175 Posts
Interesting. I hope they fix it!

I do see a difference with the people giving a low rating for price and the Lord of the Rings DVD pack. Finding something lacking in the set would be a valid reason to give it less than a great review/rating. You're reviewing the SET, the DVD, what's on them, what's lacking, the quality, etc. not just the movie itsself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kilgore, is that who I think it is? Oh PODBRAM founder? ;D What an interesting screen name--are you a fan of "Venus on the Halfshell"? (A wonderful bit of homage S/F...)

It's difficult to know on Amazon just who is reviewing what for what reason...could be best friends, enemies, etc. There is only one good thing I can think of about being a total hermit, and that is the reviews my books receive are pretty much the real deal. I do think it's fair to discuss the actual package you've received in your review i. e. a shoddy slip cover that falls apart when you open it or a terrible color transfer from the original (film) but it probably shouldn't be part of the star rating. I've always seen the star rating as a content measurement--good film/good story, or bad film/story. When I review, I try not to tear someone a new .... but at the same time, I do try to be honest, and say what I think.

Kilgore Trout said:
Please allow me to speak for a moment on the subject of Amazon reviews. As the founder of PODBRAM, I have developed a keen sense for the smell of horse puckey from the Amazon reviews. There are several different categories of Amazon reviewers.

The most common are the ones who just slap five stars up there and add a few blase comments because the reviewer is either a friend of the author or an addict of the subject matter. The one-star reviews from the same group can also be the opinions of self-proclaimed experts in the genre, or, as mentioned in the opening of this post, someone who is complaining about something irrelevant to the content of the book!

The second most common type are the volume reviewers and Amazon addicts. Most of these will compose a review of most anything, whether they have read the whole book or not, although I suspect they are more likely to have completed the book than those in the first group. Most of their reviews are of the five-star type.

The third category is closely related to the second one, except these reviewers have been paid by the authors. The ringleader of this club is Reader Views, a very high volume review for hire business located very close to me. I find this operation particularly despicable because the people running the operation get the cash, not the actual reviewers, many of whom are kids. This is far from the only one of these review for hire operations, but it is the largest.

The fourth category of reviews are the only ones composed as most readers would actually expect. A customer buys the book, reads it, and writes an honest review. An unfortunate percentage of the total Amazon reviews are actually of this type.

The fifth category is the home of PODBRAM and many other free review sites. We are organized and honest in our opinions, and we are not in it for the money. As with most of these sites, most of our reviewers are also authors, so we are in the been-there-done-that category.

The final category are the Amazon Vine Reviewers. I am also officially one of these, although I think I have actually reviewed only one book under this system. The reason is that I am simply covered up in PODBRAM activity, with books always waiting to be read. When you see the Amazon Vine logo, this means the reviewer probably had a pre-release review copy, so the Vine review might seem to appear before anyone has had time to read the book, but that is not the case.

You can learn a lot more about these categories of Amazon reviewers simply by doing a little research. Anytime you question what is being said by a particular reviewer, just track him down from the links and see what else the person or group has reviewed. You will be surprised how much you will learn! Thank you.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
It tempts me to give the book a 5-star rating just for the balance - and put in the "review" that that's the reason I gave it 5 stars.  Of course then I'm doing exactly what I dislike. 

What's even sillier is that most of the time (like in this instance with this particular book) the price DOES come down once it hits the bestseller list.  And of course there are the people who fixated on 9.99 - never bothering to look at the actual policy.  Just all-around annoying.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm glad to see that you have joined us, Juliet! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is the Juliet Waldron who has written the highly acclaimed historical fiction novel, Mozart's Wife! You can learn a lot more about Juliet over at PODBRAM, where she is one of our newest team reviewers. Al past loved her book, too. You can read his reviews at PODBRAM and at Amazon. Kilgore Trout and icenine are from my favorite of Kurt Vonnegut's books, Cat's Cradle.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I went ahead and sampled Mozart's wife, because I find the subject interesting.  But, really, I sampled against my "better judgement".  I don't know who does the product descriptions, but I hope it isn't a reflection on the book. The first sentence of the description makes me think of some college age cat fight. 

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Red said:
I went ahead and sampled Mozart's wife, because I find the subject interesting. But, really, I sampled against my "better judgement". I don't know who does the product descriptions, but I hope it isn't a reflection on the book. The first sentence of the description makes me think of some college age cat fight.
I read it a few months ago and enjoyed it very much. Right after I finished it, I re-watched Amadeus. Interesting to compare the two.

L

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Well, and some of the prices are starting to go well beyond $9.99.

But the bottom line, as a number of others has pointed out, is that price shouldn't be a rating factor. If somebody thinks it's too much, then keep on going! But to sit and spend the time (even if it's a minute or two) to write a bad review just because of the price? Obviously some people just have waaay too much time on their hands! ::)
Yes, I read an interesting article (have to go find the link...) about how some of the big publishers are gaming the system. They are setting their "Digital List Price" higher than the print list price. Amazon then gives its customary discount which gets books below 25.00 to 9.99 but not books higher than 25.00. Amazon gives the publisher 35% of the Digital List Price, not the discounted so on the higher priced books the publishers take can be higher than the price Amazon sells it for. Hopefully it does not become a huge trend, as it could be a way for anti-digital publishers to slow down the ebook growth.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Chad Winters (#102) said:
Yes, I read an interesting article (have to go find the link...) about how some of the big publishers are gaming the system. They are setting their "Digital List Price" higher than the print list price. Amazon then gives its customary discount which gets books below 25.00 to 9.99 but not books higher than 25.00. Amazon gives the publisher 35% of the Digital List Price, not the discounted so on the higher priced books the publishers take can be higher than the price Amazon sells it for. Hopefully it does not become a huge trend, as it could be a way for anti-digital publishers to slow down the ebook growth.
I found the link: http://ireaderreview.com/2009/05/01/kindle-edition-books-what-cut-of-999-do-publishers-get/

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
You can report such reviews to Amazon stating that there is a bias that has nothing to do with quality, but a seemingly engineered device to smear the product. Amazon will delete the reviews and chastise (even revoke the posting privileges of) the reviewers. In the interim, you should check the "Helpful NOT" button as you truly did not find the review helpful. Authors sometimes encounter such things. (I haven't, Thank God - but I treat readers as "my precious"). There are some cases when bad reviews are given for nonsense reasons. When the Kindle version of Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath came out, it had a 1-star review. I was astonished. After reading the review, it appears that the reviewer sampled it (didn't even buy it), read Steinbeck's rather long Drepression statistical prolog and declared that "this is boring and long and too much . . . I'm not bothering to download it," and gave it 1 star. I ran a campaign with readers and authors who have read The Grapes of Wrath to post their own reviews of the Steinbeck classic, which counter-acted that misguided reviewer. All is well now East of Eden. he he. BTW, I'm not opposed to a 1-sat review on a classic that is poorly formatted, but to label a book 1-star for reasons other than quality or as part of a smear campaign, is outrageous.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
3,404 Posts

The Red Wolf Conspiracy (Kindle Edition)
by Robert V. S. Redick (Author)
6 Reviews
5 star: (4)
4 star: (1)
3 star: (1)
2 star: (0)
1 star: (0)

› See all 6 customer reviews...
› See all discussions...

4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (6 customer reviews)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digital List Price: $26.00
Print List Price: $19.10
Kindle Price: $14.30 & includes wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet
You Save: $4.80 (25%)

This is one I have been wanting....but the Digital Price is $7 higher than the print price and I just can't do it. I hate feeling like I'm being swindled!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

6 Reviews

› See all discussions...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one I have been wanting....but the Digital Price is $7 higher than the print price and I just can't do it. I hate feeling like I'm being swindled!
Obviously, the reviewers have not attacked this book because of the intro price as they did the Baldacci book I mention in my OP.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I think Amazon must be doing somthing about it now, I just looked at about two dozen books priced over 9.99 and none of them had 1 star reviews based on price. There were some who wanted their money back because it sucked...but at least they read the book! The 9.99 boycott tags are still there though.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts

6 Reviews

› See all discussions...

I'm not sure whether it's a swindle. Looking at the editions and the pricing (the Hardcover is down to $17.00), this book is handstrung between DelRey and Ballantine, and there's an obvious disconnect which the author should try to resolve with their publisher(s), as he doesn't have the electronic rights - but he's the sufferer because of these issues. Shame. It sounds like a winner to me, but since I price all my 12 Kindle books at $3.99 and less so there's no barrier between me and my reader's pocketbook (I want the reader's heart and mind, a much more valuable asset than their pocketbook), I shudder when I see how Tradipublishers hamstring author's best chances to get into a reader's hand.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yeah, I also don't understand why people  would give it such a poor rating because of the price. The price does not make it a bad book. A Ferrari is a bit pricey, does that make it a bad car? Not really.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts

6 Reviews

› See all discussions...

I admit to being confused.
I understand where you are getting the $7 from.
But the Kindle price is $14, so you are not paying more than the hardcopy price. And I searched all over Amazon and could not find a HardCopy available for sale. The help says that the Digital Price is the price set by the author. Not sure what that means.
However, the book is reviewed and strongly recommended by Terry Brooks. So it should be a no-brainer, even for $14.
Just sayin......

41 - 60 of 72 Posts