Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished the 3rd of 5 seasons of the iconic British mini series, Upstairs Downstairs and I have to say it has lived up to it's legendary reputation. I became interested after the recent airing on PBS of a new installment of the series which takes up about 30 years after the conclusion of the first. I had always wanted to see the original which aired from 1971-75 and had it in my Netflix Q. I went to move it up to the top only to find it was now listed as unavailable. A new version had just been released in March so I bit the bullet (a not cheap at 129.00 +) and bought Upstairs, Downstairs: The Complete Series - 40th Anniversary Collection on Amazon. I am so glad I did!

I have watched many similar series most recently Downton Abbey, which takes quite a lot from Up/Down... it is ava via netflix streaming. Two other favorites of mine The Grand and The House of Eliott.

I also just notice Thomas and Sarah a spin off of Up/Down has also gone MIA on Netflix. I have to say I have a retro crush on Thomas as he appeared in the original... He is about 70 now ::sigh:: but so sexy back in the day!

I know there must be some other Anglophiles out there who like me may have recently discovered the show cause of the new version? Please use spoiler tool to hide anything... since many (like me) may not have seen it all yet.

I am also anxiously awaiting the follow up of Downton Abbey! I think it will probably reach us sometime next year... so cruel!

Oh and I just read there will be more of the new Up/Down. Other than Rose none of the other characters come back and though the production values improved greatly, somehow I prefer the original simple, tape version... it almost feels more real. It surprises how much these characters have touched me, when I watched the beginning of season 3 and
it's revealed Lady Bellamy is on the Titanic
I cried and did not stop till the 3rd episode!

I discovered this fan site for the show...

Oh and please recommend your favorite shows!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I love Downtown  Abbey. Bob Mayer suggested it to me and I loved it. I watched the miniseries of Upstairs, Downstairs and I thought it was rushed. I liked it, but thought they really flew to the ending and I felt a bit cheated. I will be checking out the entire anniversary collection.

Two other BBC series I really liked in a different Genre:

Luther (Also a Bob Mayer recommendation) and Waking the Dead.

Waking the Dead got a bit too much of the same thing near the end, but it had some very interesting episodes. Each cold case was two episodes. One was brutal and I didn't see a death coming. I really enjoyed it.

Got to love Netflix!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I love everything British and historical.  Downtown Abbey just aired for the first time in Oz last night but I had to tape it as we were out.  I'm dying to see it.  I haven't seen Upstairs Downstairs either (bit before my time, lol) but it sounds like something I could get into.  Maybe I should chase it up...

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made the same mistake both of you made by calling it Downtown Abbey... it's actually Downton. It was only in the last episode I realized it, when the butler was practicing answering the phone...! ;D

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
I love, love, love Downton Abbey. It's an awesome series and I'm dying to see the next season. I also enjoyed the new Upstairs/Downstairs recently aired. I have to confess when I tried the old Upstairs/Downstairs I couldn't get into it but maybe I just didn't give it a long enough try. I only watched the first few episodes.

Another series you might enjoy is Berkeley Square. There's only one season before they stopped airing it but I'm really annoyed they didn't make more because I found them very interesting. You can learn more about them on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Berkeley-Square-Clare-Wilkie/dp/B00004W5P5/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306723295&sr=8-2 I think it's available on NetFlix too.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I'm a long time fan of Upstairs Downstairs. I watched the original airing and wouldn't miss an episode. I've been waiting and waiting for the price to come down. Someday ...

I haven't watched the updated version. I saw just a little. Jean Marsh has hardly changed. I think I would like to watch the original again before I watch the new one.

Loved Downton Abbey.

I highly recommend Poldark. Also very expensive. Very dark but wonderful. Maybe someday the price will come down on that.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dara England said:
I love, love, love Downton Abbey. It's an awesome series and I'm dying to see the next season. I also enjoyed the new Upstairs/Downstairs recently aired. I have to confess when I tried the old Upstairs/Downstairs I couldn't get into it but maybe I just didn't give it a long enough try. I only watched the first few episodes.

Another series you might enjoy is Berkeley Square. There's only one season before they stopped airing it but I'm really annoyed they didn't make more because I found them very interesting. You can learn more about them on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Berkeley-Square-Clare-Wilkie/dp/B00004W5P5/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306723295&sr=8-2 I think it's available on NetFlix too.
I do think you should give it another chance... the first few episodes were in b/w cause of a strike... and if you were watching the old version that was on netflix, I understand it is very poor quality with some stuff edited out. This new version I linked above is restored and the full original version that aired in England.

I did see Berkley Square and loved it and hated we were left hanging... I remember reading something about it being picked up and then cancelled maybe at the last minute! Have you seen House of Elliot, that is about two sisters who run a fashion house in the 20's, sublime. And The Grand is very much like Up/down but in a hotel. Both are on Netflix.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
I'm a long time fan of Upstairs Downstairs. I watched the original airing and wouldn't miss an episode. I've been waiting and waiting for the price to come down. Someday ...

I haven't watched the updated version. I saw just a little. Jean Marsh has hardly changed. I think I would like to watch the original again before I watch the new one.

Loved Downton Abbey.

I highly recommend Poldark. Also very expensive. Very dark but wonderful. Maybe someday the price will come down on that.
I am planning to list my set on eBay after I finished it. I wish I could afford to keep it but I really can't. I will let you know when I do!

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Cuechick said:
Have you seen House of Elliot, that is about two sisters who run a fashion house in the 20's, sublime.
I've actually got House of Elliot queued in NetFlix but it hasn't come in yet. Why is the best stuff never on instant streaming? :mad:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I love all of these British programs too. I read that
the reason they killed off Lady Bellamy on the Titanic
was that the actress wanted out of the show. She hated the character. I didn't start watching the series until '75, so I hardly knew of the Lady Bellamy character and only "met" her when I rented the first disc from season 1 earlier this year.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you Edit yout post and use the spoiler tags for the bit about Lady B.! Some may nit have seen it which is why I blacked it out in my original post.

I just watched the behind the scenes and yes, she felt her character came off too hard and asked to leave. But after the response it got she told the producer she realized she had made the biggest mistake of her career. I have to agree!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Two older ones (made in the late 70s) that I've enjoyed are "To Serve Them All My Days" and "A Horseman Riding By", both based on books by R.F. Delderfield.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
My brother got to visit the house on Downton Abbey.  Apparently, the insides are not in good shape, but on the plus side, because of the show, tourist traffic to the house has gone up considerably and so have revenues for the house!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Another to consider is Bramwell. It's about a female doctor opening a charity infirmary in the Victorian East End of London and stars Gemma Redgrave, David Calder and Robert Hardy. There were four series and I'm just starting the second. It's available as a series through Amazon UK and Amazon.com A good fun series.

Ian

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Cuechick said:
I am planning to list my set on eBay after I finished it. I wish I could afford to keep it but I really can't. I will let you know when I do!
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Another good one is Lillie which is all about Lillie Langtry. It was a long time before it came out on DVD.

Barchester Chronicles is also very good. Donald Pleasance, Nigel Hawthorne, Alan Rickman, Geraldine McEwan. I got that one because of Alan Rickman and ended up loving the series and everyone in it. It's based on Trollope's The Warden and Barchester Towers.
[/i]

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
I am glad that Gertie also mentioned Poldark.
One of my favs along with Up/Down.
I also enjoyed When The Boat Comes In and Riley Ace of Spies.
And I mustn't forget the Duchess of Duke Street.

It was fun living in London in the mid-seventies - so much good TV came out of BBC and ITV.

Just sayin......

·
Registered
290 Posts
I really loved Cranford - based on Elizabeth Gaskell's novels.  There was a 4 or 5 episode series and then a 2 episode Christmas special (although it wasn't at all Christmas-y, just broadcast at Christmas)  Dame Judi Dench was wonderful.

It's all available on DVD and Blu-ray on amazon.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh Lillie was great and I love, love The Duchess of duke Street. Also quite good was The Forsythe Saga. I added Poldark to my Q and already had Cranford. I will check out Barchester Chronicles, hadn't heard of it. One more, the most recent Bleak House mini series was fantastic.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Upstairs, Downstairs is wonderful--and the novels are surprisingly good, too.  Brilliant characters.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts