Kindle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do urban fantasy serials work? If they do, what's a preferred release rate on them? How long "should" they be?

See, I've been toying with the idea of doing a serial/prequel based on one of the tertiary characters in the lillim series. I'm just trying to figure out the nuts and bolts of it.

I remember reading The Human Division by John Scalzi a while back, and this was really what I was thinking. A bunch of missions that sort of tie together in the end. Like a television series.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
I suspect the preferred release rate for readers interested in a series is "as fast as possible if not yesterday" and for writers is "as fast as I can write and publish while keeping the quality up to whatever my standard of quality is". They should be as long as they need to be to meet your goals as a storyteller. Basically, there are no rules.

I have no idea if they "work" or not, but I'm developing an urban fantasy series I'll publish eventually that'll consist of ~40k word titles released monthly. Not sure if I'll break it up into "seasons" or not, but might play with that concept.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts