Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So annoying.  I checked my works today and had a slew of new reviews across all my work ranging from 1-5 stars.  Considering how often people rate things there, plus the fact that the stories are from different genres, and then add to the fact that some of the newly rated stories I've only sold 2 copies of on B&N.... I find this all highly suspicious.  And did I mention annoying?

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
It may not be a troll, especially if they aren't all 1 or 2 star reviews. Is the style of writing the same on all reviews?

Sometimes it's a coincidence (mine tend to come in clusters, albeit smaller clusters). Or it may just be someone who tends to do things in batches (or a 'book club' doing the same thing. It is unusual, but not that unusual.

I do think B&N is rife with troll-like behavior. Perhaps it's the fact they can post anonymously. I don't know. (I did notice that for a while, whenever I would disagree with certain popular opinions here, I would get a new two star rating over on B&N. It didn't happen quite enough for me to be sure, but more often than would be usual.)

But in the end, it doesn't matter. We did some informal data gathering on eHow for a while about ratings and rankings and such, and found that activity -- even malicious troll activity -- tends to boost algorithmic rankings. So in the end, all you can do is shake your head and shrug it off.

Camille

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
daringnovelist said:
It may not be a troll, especially if they aren't all 1 or 2 star reviews. Is the style of writing the same on all reviews?
Sorry, I should have been more clear: it was a series of star ratings only. No written reviews at all. Which also added to my suspicion. I agree reviews can come in clumps. It's like people see the other review and become inspired to write one. But 6 star ratings across 6 different works just seems like someone went through and randomly clicked on stars.

daringnovelist said:
But in the end, it doesn't matter. We did some informal data gathering on eHow for a while about ratings and rankings and such, and found that activity -- even malicious troll activity -- tends to boost algorithmic rankings. So in the end, all you can do is shake your head and shrug it off.

Camille
Agreed. I'm already over it. I just had to have a brief "grr" moment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts