Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have the Sony 700 and it has a touch screen. I bought it because I wanted to keep reading my Sony stuff and have access to their store, which offers a lot that Amazon doesn't still. But the 700 has a search feature, that the 505 didn't have it. So I gave the 505 to a friend. I was concerned about the touch screen on 700. But fingerprints don't show anymore than they do on Kindle. And to be honest I don't use the touch screen I use the buttons. I don't care that it does have a touch screen. That isn't why I bought it. But it doesn't bother me. Maybe because I don't use it ;) . They way the touch screen comes in handy is with the annotations and for that I use the stylus, a habit I got into with my old PDA pre iphone days. I don't know why everyone wants a touch screen on Kindle, but I'll bet, like me, once they had it they wouldn't use it. It is easier to turn pages with the buttons then to slide across the screen. At least I think so.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The touch screen is no interest to me either.  Do iphone users still LOVE their touch screens... or do they sometimes miss their buttons?  I wonder.

Did you guys read this in the article:

The original Kindle had separate power and wireless buttons. Kindle 2 loses the wireless switch, a potential nuisance for fliers. To read on a plane, you'll have to remember to turn the unit on, turn wireless off through a menu setting, then power down again before takeoff.

I didn't realize they took off the wireless button.  I wonder if not having the button will be annoying.  I never had a kindle 1 so I guess I won't know what I'm missing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Both my PDA (Windows Mobile 7) and my GPS have touch screens. The fingerprints drive me nuts. I am constantly (and I mean obsessively) wiping down the screens.

·
Registered
60 Posts
k_reader said:
Do iphone users still LOVE their touch screens... or do they sometimes miss their buttons?
I still love the touch screen on my iPhone. The screen is generally lit well enough that fingerprints and smudges do not really show unless it is turned off or turned to an angle that reflects them, which is not an angle you would be using it at anyway.

I would not want a touch screen with my K2 though. I am glad it does not have one.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I love touchscreens! When I went from my Trio to my Blackberry it was a huge adjustment. I can't wait for the Kindle to have a touchscreen and color. I know it'll be awhile, but I'll for sure upgrade when they have either one of those.

My GPS is also a touchscreen and it gets all fingerprintery too but I don't really notice it unless the sun hits it at a particular angle, so not a big deal. Besides, everytime I take the car in to be washed they "clean" my GPS screen so it gets cleaned fairly often and almost always is fingerprint free. It's the more matte type of finish, like the Kindle, so prints don't show up that well.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I am another one who would love touch - as long as they keep my page turn buttons! I want touch more for navigation, highlighting, and hopefully it will have handwriting reciognition to make notes and do puzzles.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yep, I think a touchscreen would be a great addition and make the device a bit more versatile. With that said, I do NOT think hard buttons should be completely replaced. 

·
Registered
392 Posts
From what I've read though, the problem with touchscreens on the Sony is that it lessens the clarity of the screen.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have an iPhone and can honestly say that I love the touchscreen.

However, I wouldn't want a touchscreeen on a Kindle.  Mainly because my iPhone DOES get fingerprints on it, and I'm constantly wiping the thing on my jeans to clear the smudges.  With the recessed screen of a Kindle, you'd have to carry a dedicated cloth around the clear the smudges.  That, and the glossier surface required for a touchscreen would add additional glare.

·
Registered
860 Posts
stargazer0725 said:
That, and the glossier surface required for a touchscreen would add additional glare.
My GPS has a non-glossy touchscreen that has great clarity. Glossy is not a requirement for a touchscreen. In fact when I got my Kindle one of my first thoughts was how the screen reminded me of my GPS - it has a more matte finish than just regular glass. I'm sure they could make a touchscreen for the Kindle that's not glossy - just ask the GPS developers!

·
Registered
679 Posts
KindleMom said:
My GPS has a non-glossy touchscreen that has great clarity. Glossy is not a requirement for a touchscreen. In fact when I got my Kindle one of my first thoughts was how the screen reminded me of my GPS - it has a more matte finish than just regular glass. I'm sure they could make a touchscreen for the Kindle that's not glossy - just ask the GPS developers!
They can - now. There was an issue with it earlier becuase of the eInk (one either had to use an overlay screen which gave the glare or use the Wacom driver which eats batteries), but a company has been working with the makers of eInk on zTouch which is supposed to work behind the eInk screen, thus no change in clairty. They just really started developing this last year, so it may be another year before it is implemented.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm personally not a big fan of touch screens.  I guess you can say I'm a clean freak :)  I constantly clean the screen on my cellphone and its not even a touch screen  :eek:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
wilsondm2 said:
From what I've read though, the problem with touchscreens on the Sony is that it lessens the clarity of the screen.
I had the Sony 505, the 700 and the Kindle 1, (I gave the 505 and Kindle1 to a friend) but when I had them all I did a side by side, the Sony 700 screen has less "clarity" than the 505, but more than the Kindle 1.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Sweety, I was thinking the same thing...I'm always cleaning off the screens of my non-touch cell (and now Blackberry), just from the smears they get from fingers holding them or cheeks or ears!

Sweety18 said:
I'm personally not a big fan of touch screens. I guess you can say I'm a clean freak :) I constantly clean the screen on my cellphone and its not even a touch screen :eek:

·
Registered
288 Posts
The touch screen is no interest to me either. Do iphone users still LOVE their touch screens... or do they sometimes miss their buttons? I wonder.
YES! I love my iphone and don't miss the buttons, however, I didn't buy the iphone for the touchscreen. I bought it for the quality of the product and versatility of the phone, ipod, and pda combination. Also, a nice matte screen protector eliminates the fingerprints.

That being said, I still chose a Kindle over the Sony 700 for reasons that we all share and are too numerous to outline here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts