Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
???Wouldn't it be nice if one USB cord worked for everything. I just don't understand why a new USB cord comes with every gadget you buy and none are interchangeable. I got a digital keychain for Christmas with another USB cord. I have to label the things to keep them straight. I now have 12 different ones. I'm running out of space for them.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
USB cords and power cords.... I have cornered the market on both. I too have labeled each of them, and I keep them in a shoe holder in the closet so I can find them easily. Like this one:

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pidgeon92 said:
USB cords and power cords.... I have cornered the market on both. I too have labeled each of them, and I keep them in a shoe holder in the closet so I can find them easily. Like this one:

Nice idea. I keep the ones I use the most in a drawer next to my computer. We completely redid the condo we live in 1 1/2 years ago and I build a really nice office. All of the desk is built into 2 walls with doored cabinets overhead for office supplies and I have 4 closed in book cases. I thought I would never be able to fill all of them up, but it didn't take long. My DH works out of the house, so he has everything overflowing in the office. I don't think he ever throws a piece of paper out. ::) He is out of town this weekend and I'm stacking piles for him to go through. Hopeful thinking anyway.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I've never had any trouble using a single USB cable for all my USB devices (I don't keep anything hooked up permanently to my laptop). As far as I know, all USB cables are wired exactly the same, with some minor exceptions of those with additional connectors for non-USB related tasks.

I started using USB devices when they first came out in 1996, and I've never carried more than one cable with me to connect up all the devices I use.

Mike

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jmiked said:
I've never had any trouble using a single USB cable for all my USB devices (I don't keep anything hooked up permanently to my laptop). As far as I know, all USB cables are wired exactly the same, with some minor exceptions of those with additional connectors for non-USB related tasks.

I started using USB devices when they first came out in 1996, and I've never carried more than one cable with me to connect up all the devices I use.

Mike
I don't keep anything hooked up permanently to my laptops either. The cables for my digital cameras will only work on the camera they came with. I also have a chip that is for the boat GPS, which won't work on unless using the USB cord it came with. Also the GPS we have for the car will only use its own USB. Some of the USB's work on several things, but they won't work on the cameras or the GPS systems. If you know how to make one work on everything I would be very appreciative of the advise. Maybe there is something you can buy that is universal?

It seems like every time you buy a new cellphone it has a different charger and of course none of the extras you have around the house go with the new phone. My DH won't throw any of the old chargers out, he always thinks we will be able to use it again. We have a plastic tub of old connectors, USB cords and chargers for things we no longer have.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Kathy, I think we have a basic misunderstanding: when someone says USB cable, I think of a standard USB cable with standard connectors on both ends:

I think some people would refer to this as USB cable, but I wouldn't, because it's specific to an iPod, for instance (I'd call it an iPod cable):

Therefore, all USB cables are interchangeable, but not all device cables are, as they are USB cables only on one end.

That's probably less clear than before, heh. :)

Mike

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
pidgeon92 said:

This also comes in handy in the dorm! I used it! (just be sure the put shoes on the bottom to keep everything else clean.)

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jmiked said:
Kathy, I think we have a basic misunderstanding: when someone says USB cable, I think of a standard USB cable with standard connectors on both ends:

I think some people would refer to this as USB cable, but I wouldn't, because it's specific to an iPod, for instance (I'd call it an iPod cable):

Therefore, all USB cables are interchangeable, but not all device cables are, as they are USB cables only on one end.

That's probably less clear than before, heh. :)

Mike
No, I was talking about USB cables, like the picture on top. I'm hoping for help. When I try to use the one that came with my digital camera on the GPS devices it won't work and vise versa. It regonizes the USB cord, but the when you try to download or upload with it, no go. As soon as I attach the one it came with it works. Same thing with my cellphone, if I don't use the one it came with it doesn't work. I travel a lot and would love to just throw one USB cord in my briefcase to use, but just don't bother because I never know if it will work or not. I am really interested in finding out if there is a way to get one to work with everything.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Interesting. I've used something like 30-40 devices that had standard connectors, and they have never failed to work with any regular cable I used, regardless of where it originated. The only problems I've had have been with cheap powered USB hubs that were marginal and would work with some devices and not with others.

I have a drawer full of cables that have never even been unwrapped (I have no idea what they originally came with, heh).

Very puzzling. The only other thing that occurs to me is that you have a mixture of USB 1.X and 2.X equipment, and a marginal chip set in your computer.

Mike

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a new Dell laptop and had it upgraded on everything I could think of, but I think that it is possible I have a mixture of 1.X and 2.X equipment.  I am a software trainer, which means I know how to use the software, but not the hardware. Sort of like driving a car, I can drive it, but don't ask me to lift the hood for anything else. I think I'm going to try the various cables and see which will work with multiple things. Maybe I'll find one that is more universal. Thanks for the advise.

G

·
It doesn't matter as soon as we get it all sorted and figured out, some new tech will be dropped in our laps and we start learning all over again.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vampyre said:
It doesn't matter as soon as we get it all sorted and figured out, some new tech will be dropped in our laps and we start learning all over again.
To true. I'm have to stay up with all the new versions of the software I teach. Keeping up with the techie side is just exhausting. I'm getting to old for this, but I love my gadgets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts