Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woot.com is offering a USB turntable today for $49.99.  The same item is available from Amazon for $108.  I have been looking for one of these to convert my old LPs and 45's to digital form.  254 of the 355 reviews on Amazon are 4 or 5 star reviews.  I will post review here after receipt and intial usage.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I actually bought one the last time they offered it, but it hasn't been out of the box yet....

I bought a regular turntable a few years ago, and a USB conversion tool, and converted all of my dad's old German vinyl to MP3.... I then burned CDs for him of each, put them in a binder, and gave it to him for his birthday.....

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I have one of these; works very well; you use Audacity software with it. I did not install the extra software that came with it (as some reviewers remarked that it did not work well).

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
They are making everything with USB now

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
LPs came after cylinders, before 8-tracks, cassettes, cds and mp3s.

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
LP's:  big plastic discs that had music on them.  LP for "long play" because they had around 45 minutes of music.  Which is not to be confused with 45's which only had about 5-8 minutes of music -- 2 songs, 1 on each side.  You'd play half and then flip 'em over to play the other side.  Then there were 78's which were really heavy and if you dropped one would break into a million very sharp pieces.  45 and 78 refer to how fast you set the record player to spin.  LP's were at 33 1/3.  Good record players came with a switch to change the speed.  Really good ones had a tall stack you could put several records on and they'd change and play automatically -- though you still had to flip 'em over after they'd all fallen and played.  None of this 853 hours of music without having to lift a finger, I tell ya!  :D

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Vegas_Asian (Experiment#305) said:
oh. Thanks! I see now. lol. yep. When I was born there were cds, but most people were still on casettes
OK - now I feel REALLY old!

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
FYI, you can still buy new LPs, though by no means is there as big a selection of music as there is on CD (and they often cost a bit more than the CD), but you might be surprised just how much is available. Many people (including me) feel that an LP played on a decent turntable/cartridge still sounds better than any CD can sound. I'll even put up with a few clicks and pops (though I try to keep my LPs clean) if it means avoiding the harshness of CDs. (SACDs have gotten pretty close to LPs now, though they're still not quite there.)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
My daughter's boyfriend collects LPs.  He loves them and has very many.  He has found out that some labels are releasing LPs again.  He told me all about it, but I can't recall the details. 
I would love to have a USB turntable so I could transfer all of my parent's records onto my computer and put on my Ipod.  I missed the Woot sale.  Maybe next time.
deb

·
Registered
711 Posts
These look like great Christmas gifts for my husband and one of my sons.  I'll be keeping an eye on woot hoping they will offer them again.  I just looked on Amazon and got kind of confused (doesn't take much..).  Are there different models with different features? If so, does anyone know what's the best basic model? I just want to make sure what I buy will transfer the music to digital and they can then burn CDs.  Does the basic USB turntable do that without needing to buy any extras?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts