Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our lemon tree was outrageously fruitful (no pun intended) this year!  We have given bags upon bags of lemons away to friends, relatives, the local firehouse, and neighbors.  We've used lemons to bake and to marinate, to freshen the micro and the garbage disposal, to scent the bathrooms or kitchen.

Is there anything else we can do with them?

Most lemon recipes only call for a tiny bit of lemon and/or zest, so we don't use up that much cooking.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Juice them and freeze the juice.  That way when it's not lemon season you'll still have the fresh juice for lemonade and such..

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
We have a small little lemon tree in a big pot in our 'sun room'.  This year, finally, it produced 2 real lemons!  It's been flowering for the last 3 or 4 years, and the last 2 or there it's gotten 'starter lemons' but they never got big enough to actually eat.  But this year, we have 2.  DH has already picked one. . .used it in his tea or coke.  They are really good too. . .very lemony but not at all bitter.

Sorry, no other use suggestions, though. . .just felt the need to share.  :)

Ann

·
Registered
657 Posts
Shaker Lemon Pie:

INGREDIENTS
2 lemons, thinly sliced
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

DIRECTIONS
Slice the lemons and combine in a large bowl with the 2 cups sugar. Let stand for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

Add the beaten eggs and mix well. Pour into an unbaked 9 inch piecrust and cover with a top crust.

Brush the top with milk and sprinkle granulated sugar on top.

Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the pie comes out clean.

I love this pie and unlike other lemon pies this one used 2 whole lemons :eek:

G

·
If life hands you lemons, make kitschy posters about them.  You don't have to be crazy to do it, but it helps.

And hang in there, baby!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Veal (or chicken) piccatta made with lemon
Watercress salad with lemon-dijon dressing
Steamed lobster with wedges of lemon

I love lemons....

L

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
libro said:
Our lemon tree was outrageously fruitful (no pun intended) this year! We have given bags upon bags of lemons away to friends, relatives, the local firehouse, and neighbors. We've used lemons to bake and to marinate, to freshen the micro and the garbage disposal, to scent the bathrooms or kitchen.

Is there anything else we can do with them?

Most lemon recipes only call for a tiny bit of lemon and/or zest, so we don't use up that much cooking.
I wish you lived near me. I eat them with a little salt on top. My favorite fruit by far :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
chobitz said:
Shaker Lemon Pie:

INGREDIENTS
2 lemons, thinly sliced
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

DIRECTIONS
Slice the lemons and combine in a large bowl with the 2 cups sugar. Let stand for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

Add the beaten eggs and mix well. Pour into an unbaked 9 inch piecrust and cover with a top crust.

Brush the top with milk and sprinkle granulated sugar on top.

Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the pie comes out clean.

I love this pie and unlike other lemon pies this one used 2 whole lemons :eek:
As I was reading this my mouth started to water. I am going to try this recipe for sure!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Bacardi Jim said "limoncello." BrassMan says "limoncino!" They'e the same thing. Here's how:

Take a potato peeler and peel the yellow (the zest) off ten or fifteen lemons in long strips. Put it all in a pint jar and cover it with vodka. Seal and let infuse for a week or two.

Strain through a coffee filter.

Make syrup: dissolve a cup of sugar in a cup of water, boil until clear, and let cool.

Now the tricky part: add the syrup to the lemony vodka until the sweetness balances the sharpness of the lemon. When you have it like you like it, rebottle if you like and keep in the freezer. A shot of that is like a lemon nuclear bomb going off in your head!

Squeeze the juice out of the zestless lemons and do what you will with it.

Cheers!
Al

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
These are all fantastic suggestions!  Should keep us very busy here :)  I appreciate all the ideas and recipes.  I never thought of freezing the juice, how silly.  I wonder about lemon zest.  A lot of recipes call for only a bit of zest.  I wonder if I can freeze the zest.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts