Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Have you heard of any authors getting dinged by using the Booksprout service on a book that's in the KDP Select program?

At first glance, it would seem like it wouldn't be permissible, but then there's a line in the KDP Select TOS that says:

You may also provide professional reviewers with a copy of your book via email for the purpose of editing, proofreading and helping with other quality improvements.

I'm not sure if the Booksprout service would fall under that line or not. Of course, we can surmise either way, but I'm curious if any authors have been negatively affected by combining the two.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
LauraWestbrook said:
Hi all.

Have you heard of any authors getting dinged by using the Booksprout service on a book that's in the KDP Select program?

At first glance, it would seem like it wouldn't be permissible, but then there's a line in the KDP Select TOS that says:

You may also provide professional reviewers with a copy of your book via email for the purpose of editing, proofreading and helping with other quality improvements.

I'm not sure if the Booksprout service would fall under that line or not. Of course, we can surmise either way, but I'm curious if any authors have been negatively affected by combining the two.

Thanks in advance!
You can't use BS to distribute if you're in Select.

The line you are referring to means you are sending your book to someone to review for the purpose of editing, proofing... It doesn't mean getting a review.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got this response in December 2018 when I emailed KDP to ask if "we were allowed to give out ARC review copies whilst in KU"...

Yes, you can give out ARC review copies and this will not be considered as violation to KDP Select terms & conditions.

Thanks for using Amazon KDP.

But perhaps another person could provide an example wherein they got a different answer. Maybe best to email them and keep a copy of their response in case you ever need to show them they okayed it...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sanne said:
I got this response in December 2018 when I emailed KDP to ask if "we were allowed to give out ARC review copies whilst in KU"...

Yes, you can give out ARC review copies and this will not be considered as violation to KDP Select terms & conditions.

Thanks for using Amazon KDP.

But perhaps another person could provide an example wherein they got a different answer. Maybe best to email them and keep a copy of their response in case you ever need to show them they okayed it...
Good to know. How do you think that translates to a service like Booksprout?

·
Registered
26 Posts
LauraWestbrook said:
Good to know. How do you think that translates to a service like Booksprout?
I'm not sure, Laura. I've only used Booksprout pre-release. Booksprout is a "professional review service" but most of the reviewers aren't "professional reviewers". The answer I received didn't specify who you could give the ARCs out to while in select, only that you could give them out. If you email KDP and ask them directly about Booksprout, you might get a definitive answer.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sanne said:
I'm not sure, Laura. I've only used Booksprout pre-release. Booksprout is a "professional review service" but most of the reviewers aren't "professional reviewers". The answer I received didn't specify who you could give the ARCs out to while in select, only that you could give them out. If you email KDP and ask them directly about Booksprout, you might get a definitive answer.
I'll do that!

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
From what I can see, Booksprout gives you reviews. That has nothing whatever to do with being in kdp select. Whether Amazon will accept the reviews or not is another matter and probably depends on their other little rules, like the reviewer having to have spent $50 on Amazon in the past year.

Select means that you will publish through Amazon and nobody else. And that only applies to e-books.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I use Booksprout to gather reviews *before* the book goes live on Amazon. When you set up the ARC for that book, just select the date the book goes live -- and the book will stop being available to Booksprout reviewers at midnight the day before. So, no violation of the Kindle Select TOS.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Doglover said:
From what I can see, Booksprout gives you reviews. That has nothing whatever to do with being in kdp select. Whether Amazon will accept the reviews or not is another matter and probably depends on their other little rules, like the reviewer having to have spent $50 on Amazon in the past year.

Select means that you will publish through Amazon and nobody else. And that only applies to e-books.
This is all true, but I think the issue is in the execution of the reviews. Booksprout has (or had, at the time--it's been a few years) the option to give away ARCs using a public link or a private link. Amazon has no issue with ARCs when done properly. ARCs are typically a limited number of books offered before a book goes on sale. Anyone using a service that offers a public link to a free download of the book that's in Select... I don't know. It may be against the Select agreement, or it may be mistaken by bots.

I'd ask. Contact Booksprout to ask how ARCs are made available, and then contact Amazon to relay those details and ask if it's okay.

·
Registered
283 Posts
From booksprouts own site >

FAQ: Can I use Booksprout for ARCs if I'm in KDP Select (Kindle Unlimited)?

Yes and no. When it comes to KDP's Select program, you agree to make your digital book available exclusively on Amazon during a 90 day period. That means that if your book is currently enrolled, then it's against the KDP Select program terms to make your ebook available on Booksprout.

..........If your book is currently enrolled and you wish to get reviews on it, we recommend that you un-check KDP's option to automatically re-enroll it. Then, mark it on your calendar when your book will be out of KDP Select. Once that day comes around, you can make an ARC on Booksprout for it!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trioxin 245 said:
From booksprouts own site >

FAQ: Can I use Booksprout for ARCs if I'm in KDP Select (Kindle Unlimited)?

Yes and no. When it comes to KDP's Select program, you agree to make your digital book available exclusively on Amazon during a 90 day period. That means that if your book is currently enrolled, then it's against the KDP Select program terms to make your ebook available on Booksprout.

..........If your book is currently enrolled and you wish to get reviews on it, we recommend that you un-check KDP's option to automatically re-enroll it. Then, mark it on your calendar when your book will be out of KDP Select. Once that day comes around, you can make an ARC on Booksprout for it!
I missed that! Thank you for bringing it up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've used Booksprout while in Select gazillions of times with no issue. Didn't even cross my mind it could be a problem  ??? :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts