Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does it take to get a .doc file converted and sent back? I sent something 4 days ago and still haven't gotten it.

Darren

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
meempdog said:
How long does it take to get a .doc file converted and sent back? I sent something 4 days ago and still haven't gotten it.

Darren
I haven't used the free address. When I send stuff to <name>@kindle.com, I always make sure the Whispernet is on. The file usually shows up in a minute or two.

If it has been four days, I'd try resending.

L

·
Registered
788 Posts
If you haven't received it in 4 days I'd say there was a problem with the conversion. I usually get mine back within the hour. Now you made sure you sent it to the right address right? Your name on the free kindle e-mail address might not be the same as your amazon username.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Go to Amazon and log onto your account.  Go to "Manage my Kindle".  You'll see a lot of info there about getting stuff to your Kindle. . .as well as what you've bought.

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Also at your Amazon account, make sure you've authorized your email address to send mail TO your Kindle.

L

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Okay...I know I've been on the KB for a while, but I've never sent a document to Amazon to be converted. So all I do is to my email, attach the files, and sent to (kindlename)@kindle.com ? Then I will recieve through my K?

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
word of caution:  if you have more than one e-mail address, make sure you're using the one you've set up as "allowed" at Amazon.  One time I couldn't figure out why something I was sending never made it.  I finally realized I was sending it from a different address than I'd listed.  I promptly listed that address too.

Ann

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So if I send something to the free kindle address to get converted will it come back to my email and then i download it via usb? If so what is the address do I send to?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
meempdog said:
So if I send something to the free kindle address to get converted will it come back to my email and then i download it via usb? If so what is the address do I send to?
Yes.

I believe the address is <name>@free.kindle.com

If you live in an area with Whispernet, it is just as easy to use the <name>@kindle.com address. Then the file will go right to your Kindle. Supposedly there is a 10 cent charge but no one has ever been charged. Make sure to have the Whispernet on when you send the file. It should come back within a few minutes.

L

·
Registered
325 Posts
I read somewhere else that Amazon charges once you reach $3.00 for the wirelessly delivered documents. That works out at 300 of them. I think I've maybe sent two or three... so it will be a while before I get charged, if this is true.

I sent something today, I did have to go check what my @kindle.com address is on my Amazon account.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Lotus said:
I read somewhere else that Amazon charges once you reach $3.00 for the wirelessly delivered documents. That works out at 300 of them. I think I've maybe sent two or three... so it will be a while before I get charged, if this is true.

I sent something today, I did have to go check what my @kindle.com address is on my Amazon account.
It's really only 30 documents. If you send 300, it's going to cost you a little more. ;)

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Lotus said:

I think you dropped a decimal point :)

10 cents per e-mailed doc. So 10 docs are $1. $3 would be 30 docs sent. I pretty sure I've sent at least that many and I've never been billed.

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I know I have sent more than 30 docs and haven't been charged, either 10 cents for a singleton or $3.00 for a thirty-something package.

L

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just sent the same document to [email protected] and [email protected] - a one page Word document.  Both took approximately 33 seconds to hit my Kindle or my email on the computer.  Not too bad.

If you have waited four days, something is amiss.  As others have said, check to make sure your sending email is listed as an authorized email sending address.

Good luck.

·
Registered
325 Posts
KindleMom said:
It's really only 30 documents. If you send 300, it's going to cost you a little more. ;)
Duh! I can be such a moron sometimes!

It's still going to be a while before I get charged (if I ever do).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts