Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use Ingram Spark, or Lulu.com, etc, to publish my ebook on the amazon.com marketplace? Or do I have to publish on Amazon KDP??

I'm basically trying to avoid Amazon as much as possible because I think they have too much power, but I don't want to miss out on ranking on their search engines (their marketplace),

Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
A lot of writers do both; you need to ISBNs, however. Ingram is better for expanded distribution. The printing quality is usually better as well.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
alexandervalmont said:
Can I use Ingram Spark, or Lulu.com, etc, to publish my ebook on the amazon.com marketplace? Or do I have to publish on Amazon KDP??

I'm basically trying to avoid Amazon as much as possible because I think they have too much power, but I don't want to miss out on ranking on their search engines (their marketplace),

Thanks
If your book is published on Amazon, you're not really avoiding it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
ShayneRutherford said:
Right. And you're just earning less money for doing so. IngramSpark keeps too much of the revenue for ebook sales. It's best to go direct with an ebook where you can (KDP, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, Google) and use something like Draft2Digital or Smashwords to reach the smaller ebook retailers.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
ShayneRutherford said:
Sleeping Cat Books said:
Right. And you're just earning less money for doing so. IngramSpark keeps too much of the revenue for ebook sales. It's best to go direct with an ebook where you can (KDP, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, Google) and use something like Draft2Digital or Smashwords to reach the smaller ebook retailers.
This.^

Never use Ingram for ebooks, nor for promoting/marketing.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Don't use Ingram for ebook sales. I echo this ^^
I do use them for my paperbacks.

If you still opt to use them for ebooks, they will automatically sell your ebook to all retailers including Amazon. They will do all of this for you, but you will have difficulty controlling your pricing, marketing and sales information.

Edit: And if you do opt for their ebook service but change your mind, realize that it is a very difficult move to undo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wan my ebook to be able to be sold on the Amazon marketplace but I just don't want Amazon to have power over me. I see a lot of poeple with their KDP account getting banned etc. I was wondering if someone publish through Publishdrive, or draft2digital for example, is there ebook still on the Amazon.com marketplace?

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you're going to use a distributor, I'd consider D2D. They have an easy interface.

All distributors can distribute your ebook through Amazon. They know they can get your greatest $ there. But you will lose sales information and some control by not going direct through KDP. I advise you go direct through Amazon.

I don't think by going direct with Amazon you're increasing risk of getting banned, if that's what you're worried about. Maybe publishing through the KU program could because there are more rules, though publishing through KU for a first book is a good strategy. Just play by the rules and don't do anything fishy or immoral.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
alexandervalmont said:
I wan my ebook to be able to be sold on the Amazon marketplace but I just don't want Amazon to have power over me. I see a lot of poeple with their KDP account getting banned etc. I was wondering if someone publish through Publishdrive, or draft2digital for example, is there ebook still on the Amazon.com marketplace?
As an indie, the vast majority of your sales will be from Amazon. You cannot avoid that.

I would take a lot of the ban stuff not with a grain of salt, but with a large Siberian salt mine. Yes, Amazon makes mistakes. But a lot of this is simply "everyone in prison claims they're innocent."

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sleeping Cat Books said:
Correct re ebooks and Ingram Spark. However, you get more from expanded distribution if you use Ingram for paperbacks.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
alexandervalmont said:
If your book is sold on Amazon, Amazon has power over you. There's no getting around it. They can ban you whether your account is direct with them or with someone else. But if you have an account elsewhere, you can't do AMS ads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts