Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really interesting post from Ed Robertson about using KDP Select as kind of a market research tool:

http://www.edwardwrobertson.com/2013/02/using-kdp-select-to-crowdsource-your.html

I don't know if I agree with this. Volume of downloads has a lot more to do with the book's genre and which sites feature you than overall appeal, IMO. But it's an interesting idea.

And while I was stalking his face reading his blog, I noticed that there's a new Breakers book, too. :) Awesome.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I love Ed's blog posts.  He knows his shizzle.

By the way, SM Reine, I got an email from Amazon today telling me I should buy your latest book.  I hope it paid off for you in massive sales!  I assume I'm not the only one who got it.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ellecasey said:
I love Ed's blog posts. He knows his shizzle.

By the way, SM Reine, I got an email from Amazon today telling me I should buy your latest book. I hope it paid off for you in massive sales! I assume I'm not the only one who got it.
He really does. He's one of the few authors I actually follow in my Google reader. (As well as David Gaughran, natch.)

Whoa, really? For Wings and Wolves?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, cool. I had a couple of KBers send me the same email last week, and my mother AND mother-in-law received that email as well. Not sure why Darkmoon's getting so much Ammy love, but I'm not complaining!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Aw you guys.

smreine said:
I don't know if I agree with this. Volume of downloads has a lot more to do with the book's genre and which sites feature you than overall appeal, IMO. But it's an interesting idea.
You're totally right. I'm going to try to explain how to read the tea leaves of a giveaway--genre, site mentions, duration, etc.--but it's.. complicated, haha. So much so that I might take a nap with my dogs instead. Now those guys have the right idea.

I did this type of crowdsourcing when I was bootstrapping myself up last year. I didn't really know what I was doing at all, but by comparing my (somewhat lacking) results to a bunch of other books, I changed some covers and stuff and it made a huge difference. Funny thing is, probably everything I learned is common KB wisdom, but for some reason (that may or may not have to do with thickheadedness), I had to experience the power of covers etc. for myself before I took it to heart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts