Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the Kindle2 is plugged in to the computer via USB it says  "If you want to use your Kindle and continue charging, please eject your Kindle from your computer"

I went to the little safely remove hardware icon and closed the Kindle, but it's not ejecting. Is there another way to eject it?

Tried restarting my computer and it hasn't changed it.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No error message, the screen of the Kindle doesn't change.

According to the screen, I should be able to read while my Kindle2 is plugged into the computer if I eject it. I try, but can't read :(

Nothing I have to fix tonight. Bella and I are headed to bed shortly. I just haven't heard anybody else mention it (I've heard other USB probs though)

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CS couldn't help. They've escalated the problem and should get back to me shortly.

Forgot to say computer says hardware ejected safely and I can remove hardware. Kindle screen doesn't change though. The way I understand it is once I eject, I should go back to my home screen and stay plugged in to computer for charging.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Have you reset the Kindle? Mine frozen up the first time I turned it on.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. I did a reset and restart. Customer service just called back. I tried it on my daughter's laptop and it worked fine so it appears to be a Vista issue and not a problem with my kindle.

While I was on the phone I also mentioned my desire for folders or tags of some sort. 

·
Registered
36 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
so it appears to be a Vista issue and not a problem with my kindle.
Just another reason I love Vista...

Guess I'll only use the Kindle attached to my desktop computer (XP) and not my laptop (Vista).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wanted to update that I am having the same issue with my new K2 and Vista. I cannot eject mine either and further I cannot see the storage of the Kindle as a drive, the windows explorer freezes every time.

The drivers seem to load fine, the computer said everything was ready to go, then when I tried to view the storage to add my files, windows explorer freezes. Everything else on the computer works fine while WE is frozen (I am writing this while it is doing it). I cannot then eject the Kindle from the USB using the computer it simply doesn't do it - no error message just nothing -the little circle signifying it's "working" just goes on and on.

If I simply pull out the USB the windows explorer immediately returns to working normally and the kindle 2 is fine also.

I spoke with Amazon CS last night and they couldn't help but did take all the information and are bumping it up, I am hopefully going to hear back soon.

Just for added info - the K1 works fine with both Windows XP and Vista here, and the K2 works fine with the XP computer - so I was able to transfer my old files... BUT... hopefully they will come up with something soon.

I just want to post this as I didn't know if others were having this issue using Vista (32 bit version) or if luvmy4brats (the OP) is having this additional trouble with trying to view the Kindle as a storage drive or just in the ejecting the USB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for that confirmation. I did tell CS that I knew at least one other person was having the non eject issue using Vista from seeing it on these boards. Glad to know yours is working as far as seeing files! If they give me a solution for the other I will post it.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I was able to connect the K2 to my Vista box and add content to it today.
But when I did the "Safely Remove Hardware" and it said that I could remove the device, the USB Drive Mode is still on the screen of the K2 and nothing that I press will remove it.  So I guess I am having the same problem.
I have Vista Business with Service Pack 1.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I connected my K2 to my laptop (Vista) and got the same message as Luv. Windows Explorer worked and I was able to transfer files. I used the "safely remove hardware" icon to remove it and that was fine. But while connected to the computer, I could only see the "eject" screen.

L

·
Registered
130 Posts
Add me to the list of K2 users with Vista (32 Business) which doesn't eject it properly to be able to read when plugged into USP port.  I'll watch this thread to see what CS says on the already-open service tickets before I bother them with yet another report.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I thought I'd make a note in here too with my Vista eject experience.

I have Vista Ultimate and when I go to Eject, I get the message:

Kindle (K:) is currently in use. Save any open files on this disk and then close the files or programs using the files before trying again. If you choose to continue, the files will be closed, which may cause data to be lost.

I click on Continue, and the screen on my Kindle goes from the "USB in Use" screen back to whatever I was doing when I plugged it in, along with charging the Kindle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I  didn't realize what everyone meant by being able to dismount it from the computer and read while it charges.  Now I understand - and I can't do it either - laptop is vista, which luv explains now. 

So here's my hand raised in a "me too".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update - my Kindle 2 just updated to version 2.0.1 (303870012) and now my Vista (Home Premium, 32 bit) computer recognizes it as a drive so I can move files -YEA!!

BUT I still get nothing when I try to "safely remove hardware". I choose the proper drive to eject but nothing happens and the screen on the Kindle still shows as if it is plugged into USB. The drive no longer shows on the computer but the Kindle still thinks it's connected so it is charging and cannot be used, even while the computer doesn't think it is still attached.

So one of my problems has been fixed but not the other. Oh and Amazon 2nd tier support never called me back, which I thought they were supposed to. But I guess this is the fix they were working on? 1/2 done. :-\

·
Registered
6 Posts
Whoops sorry I didn't try this first before posting last.

Now that my Kindle 2 IS appearing as a drive in my Windows Explorer (Vista Home) I can right click the drive in Windows Explorer and rather than choose "safely Remove hardware" I choose EJECT and it does "eject" the Kindle so the main home screen comes back yet the computer is still charging the Kindle.

So Kindle can be used for reading etc. while still charging from the computer.

Safely Remove Hardware doesn't give any indication that it safe to remove hardware or not and I assume not as the kindle screen is still saying it is connected when doing it that way.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My Kindle 2 connects properly via USB and provides computer access to the Kindle 2 files.  While using the USB connection, the Kindle screen displays the USB Drive Mode screen and the following message:  "If you want to use your Kindle and continue charging, please eject your Kindle from your computer."  After I eject the drive using my computer, the USB Drive Mode screen continues to display.  This occurs with Vista.  Does anyone know how I can clear the USB Drive Mode screen so I can use the Kindle while it continues to charge via the USB connection?

·
Super Moderator
67,247 Posts
Fed. . . I'm going to move this thread to Tips Tricks and Troubleshooting. . .it might get more eyeballs there.

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Fed said:
My Kindle 2 connects properly via USB and provides computer access to the Kindle 2 files. While using the USB connection, the Kindle screen displays the USB Drive Mode screen and the following message: "If you want to use your Kindle and continue charging, please eject your Kindle from your computer." After I eject the drive using my computer, the USB Drive Mode screen continues to display. This occurs with Vista. Does anyone know how I can clear the USB Drive Mode screen so I can use the Kindle while it continues to charge via the USB connection?
This seems to be a Vista problem. The same thing happens to me and I believe a few other Vista users have reported on this too. I think someone even contacted customer service but I haven't heard of a solution, yet.

L

1 - 20 of 73 Posts