Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking (dangerous, I know) whether this would be both feasible and ethical.

I'd host a giveaway for x number of paperback copies of my book on Goodreads. In the details section, mention that there is another giveaway on my web site/blog for another paperback copy, and that giveaway includes a free e-book copy for all entrants, and link to it.

Having a giveaway with Goodreads is a good way to get some exposure (the first one I hosted had 500+ new people adding my book to their "to-read" lists), and I was wondering if I could piggy back off it to give away lots of e-book copies, in the hope that they too might be read and reviewed.

So I guess my questions are: 1/ Is this allowed? 2/ Do you think it would work? / Have you already tried this and did it work? 3/ Can you have links in your Goodreads giveaway description?

?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I don't recall it being specifically prohibited by the goodreads giveaway conditions. I don't overly find it unethical myself.

You know how to find out? Set up the giveaway. Goodreads has to manually review every giveaway. If they kick it back, it's not allowed.

·
Registered
622 Posts
All your books should always have links to your other books regardless. Should book #1 be free this week readers will see your other books via their links.

We did a 4 day weekend give away this past weekend and saw 8,000 + [still counting] downloaded. The other 23 books are all listed and linked up. We saw for each day between 100% and 200% increase in sales for the other books.

You can't pass up an oppty to make your books visible to anyone who picks up one of your books.

The free one until the end of the day today is

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so I tried to do this, and here's the response:

Thanks for listing your giveaway with Goodreads! Unfortunately, we cannot approve your request to post your latest giveaway for The Genesis until it is edited. It might help to note that you are only allowed to promote this giveaway within the description. Would you mind removing the reference regarding your other giveaway (you can do so by clicking "edit this giveaway" on the top right of the giveaway page)?

"Also check out [site link] to be in with another chance of winning a paperback copy of "The Genesis", plus a bookmark, and a FREE e-book copy of "The Genesis" for EVERY ENTRANT*"

I'd suggest saying the following instead:

"Visit my website (add link) for more special offers."

Once you've made the changes, just let me know, and I'd be happy to approve the giveaway for you right away.
I thought I might've been a little cheeky with my wording there. Ho hum.

So the important part is: no, you can't use a giveaway to bring attention to another specific giveaway, but you can link to a general "special offers" page or site.

I'm going to do the changes as suggested to go ahead with this giveaway, and keep the other giveaway prominent on my site, see how that goes.

Will keep you posted!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts