Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Nexus 7 and I am curious if I could get a bluetooth keyboard case for writing. I want to get out of the house more when writing but don't want to lug around my laptop. My Nexus 7 actually fits in my back pocket nicely. So I figure if I got a bluetooth keyboard case this would be nice. I could be out and about more when I am writing without it being a chore to lug around my laptop in the city.

Just curious if this is practical or not? Anyone doing this?

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is how I writ with my iPad. I hate writing at my computer, since it's uncomfortable to sit there for very long. I have a $12 Bluetooth keyboard that's the same width as the iPad, so they go nicely together. If your tablet has Bluetooth capabilities, a keyboard case should work without any issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do the majority of my writing on my iPad and the editing on my computer.  I like being able to take the iPad anywhere I go.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sometimes I use this cheap Toshiba Windows 8 tablet I have, and a bluetooth keyboard. Since it uses Windows 8, that means I can run Scrivener on it, so it's really nice!  :D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice. I believe the Nexus 7 is a 7 inch tablet. The only concern I have is if the keyboard is too small/awkward for writing. I the keyboard case to snap on to the tablet and fit in my back pocket or it defeats the whole purpose. I see some on amazon but I fear the keyboards might be too small. I cannot find any of these cases in stores to see how small they are.

·
Registered
262 Posts
dragontucker said:
Nice. I believe the Nexus 7 is a 7 inch tablet. The only concern I have is if the keyboard is too small/awkward for writing. I the keyboard case to snap on to the tablet and fit in my back pocket or it defeats the whole purpose. I see some on amazon but I fear the keyboards might be too small. I cannot find any of these cases in stores to see how small they are.
Read the negative reviews. That's how I found mine. It had a bunch of people complaining that it was too big for their phone, while others complained that it was too small for their computer. It's perfect for my iPad.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I do my writing on my Surface tablet with a type cover and I love the portability and not being glued to the office chair but I personally wouldn't want to use anything smaller, mainly because of the keyboard size but also because of the screen size. When I write I have the tablet farther away from my face since the keyboard comes between it and you which means text becomes more difficult to read so you end up increasing the size but then you can have less text on the screen at a time which can become annoying.

When I write I want things to be as easy as possible to facilitate the writing and messing around with a tiny keyboard might not do that, at least it wouldn't for me, but everyone is different.

·
Registered
449 Posts
There's also the risk of hurting your wrists when using a tiny keyboard, which is why I try not to use one for too long. They're not exactly designed to be ergonomic!  ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Logan Rutherford said:
There's also the risk of hurting your wrists when using a tiny keyboard, which is why I try not to use one for too long. They're not exactly designed to be ergonomic! ;)
I agree with this. I do most of my writing at home on my desktop with a full size deluxe keyboard, but I do almost half my writing on my laptop (small Acer Aspire V5, decent size keyboard).
On occasion, I do use my tablet to write. But when I do, I use a folding bluetooth keyboard that is a decent size: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BU4OV50/
It works, but I wouldn't recommend it for more than an hour's worth of writing.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I do all of my writing, editing, typesetting for ebook and print, and cover design on my Asus Transformer Infinity. It's a 10" tablet with a sleek keyboard dock that turns it into a small seamless looking netbook. I can easily work on it 10 hours a night. My brain gives out before my hands do, lol. The keys have great travel and a wonderful "clack" sound.

So it's very much possible to do on a tablet with the right set up, you just have to find the right set up for you.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I did a lot of writing on an iPad worry a Bluetooth keyboard when I was heavily pregnant, had rubbish air conditioning and it was a heatwave. Thank heavens for libraries.

Now, I do my heavy writing sessions at a computer, but I use Swype to write I in shorter sessions on my iPad and Nexus.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Use my ipad mini with the Zaggfolio case. I believe the size specs for the 7 are very similar, love the Zagg keyboard; it even has shortcuts forl ocking, unlocking, messages, etc. that work great.

My standard workflow is write in Pages on my mini, then do edits in Scrivener.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm...a lot of mixed opinions :) Interesting responses though. I suppose I just need to bite the bullet and order one on amazon. Guess I won't really know until I try. At least I know some members here are using it with ease. That makes this worth a try :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
JRHolmes said:
Here is an interesting Bluetooth keyboard for very small devices (even phones).

Here's the page with more info: http://www.iphoneness.com/iphone-accessories/textblade-for-iphone-6/

I can't vouch for how easy it would be to type on (and it looks tiny to my fingers), but the gadget nerd in me is going "I want that..."
The website says the keys are the same size, just squished together...or something like that. Either way, it looks super cool and I want one now. I'd probably end up never using it though! ::)

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I have yet to find the perfecf 7 inch case. The keyboards are great. Easy to type on, long battery life, but the cases I've found are all lacking in one way or another. Would love a snap in Zagg case, but they don't seem to come in that size. :(

Rue

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've written loads on iPads, minis and standard, using the on screen keyboard.  Don't notice much speed difference to a regular keyboard.  Ulysses for iPad will be out tomorrow, so I think I'll be doing a lot more writing on the iPad :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts