Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm compiling short stories into an anthology and am using Word to create my eBook. Now, I'm digging through the KDP site, but would rather hear from people who have done it. I'm no stranger to formatting (my stories are currently Smashwords formatted) and was hoping that I could get the quick and dirty tricks and tips from fellow writers instead of reading such gems as "Spellcheck your words" and "Don't forget a title page!"

All help appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, thanks! Didn't know how different the formatting would be, glad to hear I don't need to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
For SW, follow the guide in detail.

For KDP... download MobiPocket.  Save your book as a HTML and upload through there.  Then take it to KDP.

-jb 8)

·
Registered
93 Posts
One thing I have started doing differently on the Kindle version than the Smashwords version is to insert page breaks after every chapter (Smashwords doesn't always recognize these but KDP seems to). Also, I save my Word document as a filtered web page and upload directly to Kindle, by-passing Mobi.  It saves a step, and I get exactly the same results (I'm sure I was the last person in the world to figure this one out :-[)

Actually I find KDP MUCH easier to deal with than Smashwords so I'm sure this will be a breeze for you!

·
Registered
110 Posts
After saving as html, you might want to use MobiCreator to convert the html to a .prc file. I've had the most success doing this and then side-loading the .prc file to the Kindle app on my computer to see what it will actually look like. If you don't like what you see, it's easy enough to tweak the html code. DTP will accept .prc files and they seem to convert the best (at least in my experience).

Good luck.

Melaine

·
Registered
399 Posts
I use the same Smashwords file (Word .doc), saved with a slightly altered file name.  Then I change the Smashword edtion to Kindle Edition and replace the Smashwords blurb with a generic disclaimer.  I don't convert to HTML or put it through MobiPocket Creator (except to test it) or another other program.  I upload a Word .doc file. 

I've asked on this forum before, but no one's ever given me a reason to do anything but use a regular Word file.  If a .prc file will load faster, or an HTML file will load faster, I'd do that.  As it stands, I see no reason to change my method until I learn of some benefit of putting in all that extra effort.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
If you create a Word Web Filtered file (HTML), it can be input to Mobi. Mobi outputs a prc file. That file can be USB copied to your Kindle so you see exactly how it looks on the Kindle. When you like how it looks, upload the same prc file to Amazon. No surprises.

Input the same prc file to Calibre and create an ePub file for Nook. USB copy to Nook to see how it looks. When you like it, upload to B&N. No surprises.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ended up using the .prc method so that I could view it as a Kindle file. I did remember to change my notice, but I just called it the Kindle edition. That and added a few choice words to my copyright notice which included such terms as "worldly possessions."

Thanks for all the help. Was pleased to discover I can write my stories the same for Smash and Amazon. I type in Smash format now with the show button clicked, my manuscripts are so full of dots and symbols, happy it's not for nothing.

·
Registered
399 Posts
JRLeckman said:
Ended up using the .prc method so that I could view it as a Kindle file. I did remember to change my notice, but I just called it the Kindle edition. That and added a few choice words to my copyright notice which included such terms as "worldly possessions."

Thanks for all the help. Was pleased to discover I can write my stories the same for Smash and Amazon. I type in Smash format now with the show button clicked, my manuscripts are so full of dots and symbols, happy it's not for nothing.
BTW, you do nuke the manuscript then cut and paste into a completely new Word .doc file? That's the fastest and easier way to wipe out problematic formating issues. But you'll have to go back and fix the bold and italics in the story. Just follow the Smashword's style guide.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The only thing I don't see anyone mentioning is a Table of Contents (TOC) which most people use for an anthology rather than a novel so the reader can select a story from the beginning of the ebook. I'm not sure whether you can do that from your word doc or whether you'd need to go into mobi-pocket. I've only ever published novels without TOC so hopefully someone else will advise you on that.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ali Cooper said:
The only thing I don't see anyone mentioning is a Table of Contents (TOC) which most people use for an anthology rather than a novel so the reader can select a story from the beginning of the ebook. I'm not sure whether you can do that from your word doc or whether you'd need to go into mobi-pocket. I've only ever published novels without TOC so hopefully someone else will advise you on that.
Of my three ebooks, only one is a novel. Short stories don't need TOC. As for the novel, a TOC was generated when I uploaded it into the system.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
"The only thing I don't see anyone mentioning is a Table of Contents (TOC) which most people use for an anthology rather than a novel so the reader can select a story from the beginning of the ebook. I'm not sure whether you can do that from your word doc or whether you'd need to go into mobi-pocket. I've only ever published novels without TOC so hopefully someone else will advise you on that."

One way to make a live TOC:

1. Use Heading-2 STYLE in word for the things you want in the TOC. Don't use it for anything else. When the Web Filtered (HTML) file is created from Word, this puts a "h2" tag on those items.

2. Input the HTML to Mobi.

3. In the Mobi TOC tab, enter "h2" as the TOC tag. It will go in the top left box. Be sure to click "save" or "update" on this page.

4. When the prc file is created from Mobi, it will have the TOC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts