Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Valentine Day is right around the corner. I love Godiva chocolates and African violets. I have to be honest and say this year I would love the chocolates with an Oberon Cover. Time to start dropping hints.  ;)

What about you, what do you want or enjoy for Valentine Day? Very interested to hear what some of you guys say.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts

I have been coveting this for years, I think it's going to be mine soon. ;D

·
Registered
52 Posts
My husand and I don't have much extra money this year (with the economy, and with my karate tournaments).  He's taking me to a tournament the weekend before Valentine's, and we'll probably go out to dinner.  There's really nothing that I want, that I can't live without.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I want to go away for the weekend with my husband...alone!  Last time he gifted me with a surprise weekend away it was a year ago.  Unfortunately, midway through the trip he developed a kidney stone?!  We were having such a *romantic* time (until he became sick) in the most beautiful B&B.  I would just like to get away with my husband again!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
libro, that is sooo sweet. 
Last year I had minor surgery on Valentine's Day.  I got roses the day before, but it was kind of a crazy day with getting pre-tests done, and such.  I took a ring to the jeweler's last week for a minor repair.  While they worked on it we browsed.  I hope he listened.  LOL.  And....the beautiful item is on sale.  We'll see. 

·
Registered
736 Posts
drenee said:
libro, that is sooo sweet.
Last year I had minor surgery on Valentine's Day. I got roses the day before, but it was kind of a crazy day with getting pre-tests done, and such. I took a ring to the jeweler's last week for a minor repair. While they worked on it we browsed. I hope he listened. LOL. And....the beautiful item is on sale. We'll see.
I hope so, too, Drenee! Hopefully you dropped enough hints?

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Only time will tell.  LOL

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
We actually boycott Valentine's Day.  I, personally, think it's such a stupid holiday!  I guess it's a good reminder to appreciate each other, but I don't think I need flowers (that die) or chocolate (that lives on my hips) for that!  Our present to each other for Valentine's day is not getting anything for each other on Valentine's day!  We just take the time to stay home and watch a movie together or something. 

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I don't have anyone that gives me things on Valentines day, but my parents who were married 53 years had a tradition that they gave each other the same Valentines card every year.  They gave each other the cards the first year and every year thereafter they exchanged them again with a new note.  They are both gone now, but it is a great memento of them to read the messages through the years on the cards.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Gables Girl said:
I don't have anyone that gives me things on Valentines day, but my parents who were married 53 years had a tradition that they gave each other the same Valentines card every year. They gave each other the cards the first year and every year thereafter they exchanged them again with a new note. They are both gone now, but it is a great memento of them to read the messages through the years on the cards.
Aaaw! That's so romantic! I love that idea.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gables Girl said:
I don't have anyone that gives me things on Valentines day, but my parents who were married 53 years had a tradition that they gave each other the same Valentines card every year. They gave each other the cards the first year and every year thereafter they exchanged them again with a new note. They are both gone now, but it is a great memento of them to read the messages through the years on the cards.
What a touching story, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love the story but I do want an Oberon cover.  :-[

I have also had years when I was divorced and didn't receive anything from a significant other. I think Valentines Day can signify love in general, love of family, love of life, etc.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
I have also had years when I was divorced and didn't receive anything from a significant other. I think Valentines Day can signify love in general, love of family, love of life, etc.
I agree. Valentine's Day was made up by Hallmark, but we can make it what we want. My grandkids usually make me something. I give them cards and little gifts or a small box of candy. It's a time to say "I love you" to ALL of those we love.

·
Registered
657 Posts
My husband and I usually go out to dinner and go to a movie because we are big movie buffs.

We have a weird tradition. The day after valentines we go to target and get valentine candies. Its just as good and 50% (or more) off! More candy for the money than if DH got it the day before!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
We usually do a nice lunch somewhere.  Evening dinners are crazy to get into.  And flowers and a card.  Unless one of us forgets (usually him).  We worked together for years, I used to write on his calendar a few days before Valentine's Day ("buy card for Betsy").  Then, when I got a job somewhere else, I had a girlfriend write it on his calendar, LOL!

Now we spend Valentine's Day in San Diego and he really does remember to get me flowers and a card.  And lunch or dinner in my favorite place there, though not necessarily on V-day.  (Hate crowds).

Betsy

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've been single for such a long time that sometimes I'd rather think this holiday doesn't exist.

Since that doesn't work out, I tend to pamper myself on Valentine's Day instead of waiting for a loved one to do it for me. One year my roomie and I invited a friend over and we had "Thank God I'm Single" day. We played a drinking game while watching Iron Chef, had chocolate and take-out, and the friend who came over brought us bouquets of irises. It was very sweet, and very fun.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Since we're getting married and going on a honeymoon in June, we've decided to save our money to put toward Maui & Kauai.  Maybe we'll call a helicopter ride on Kauai our Valentine's Day present.  ;)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts