Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Review by J. STEPHEN BOLHAFNER

Anita Blake's 17th adventure takes her to Las Vegas, which she describes as being "like Disneyland on crack, for grown-ups." The head of her counterpart, the official Vampire Executioner for Las Vegas, was mailed to her by a vampire serial killer.

You may think all vampires are serial killers, but not in Anita's world. The series, written for adult readers by St. Louisan Laurell K. Hamilton, is set in an alternate universe. In Hamilton's fictional universe, vampires and werewolves and such are not only real, but out in the open and struggling for civil rights.

Not all vampires kill. They can find lots of willing donors, because vampires are just as hot and sexy in Anita's world as they are here in our world, where they're confined to fiction.

Vittorio is different. Psychologically and sexually sick, he has the mind and soul of a human serial killer with the preternatural powers of a vampire. Anita encountered Vittorio five years ago, in "Incubus Dreams." He got away at the end of that book, and she vowed to track him down. Now, she has a lead.

All she has to do is walk into an obvious trap.

Anita encounters difficulties other than those posed by the enemy. There's a SWAT team that demands she prove herself, an openly hostile sheriff and the wife of the city's Vampire Master who wants to use Anita for her own purposes.

The 17th book of an ongoing series is never an ideal jumping-on place for readers. However, most of the established elements are either explained fully or not really necessary to the plot.

"Skin Trade" is a solid effort from a first-class storyteller.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I liked this Anita Blake adventure (beyond the fact is happened in a certain city ::) ). One of my favorite character made a reappearance into the series. I recommend this book to those who really liked Obsidian Butterfly. I'd add this to my top favorite Anita Blake books as we return to a police investigation involved plot

·
Registered
701 Posts
I just finished this last night and it is nice to have more classic Anita back. Unlike some of the more recent Anita Blake books, we were long on plot with this one. One of my favorite characters was featured in this book, just not as much as I would have liked. I think it is one of her better Anita books in recent years.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Here is a clickable link:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I liked almost all of this book.  IT really was back to the Anita kicking ass that I love.... BUT the end felt rushed to me.  It felt like she got to page 475 and realized how long it was and just decided to wrap it up.  It didn't make sense to me that those in her crew (Edward, Olaf, etc) were with her the entire book and then were just kind of dropped toward the end.  IT just didn't flow as nicely there.

But a great effort to get back to a more plot driven story and I will def. be waiting anxiously for the next one.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just reading this review and just wanted to share. I know there are a lot of vampire lovers out there.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
patchymama said:
I liked almost all of this book. IT really was back to the Anita kicking ass that I love.... BUT the end felt rushed to me. It felt like she got to page 475 and realized how long it was and just decided to wrap it up. It didn't make sense to me that those in her crew (Edward, Olaf, etc) were with her the entire book and then were just kind of dropped toward the end. IT just didn't flow as nicely there.

But a great effort to get back to a more plot driven story and I will def. be waiting anxiously for the next one.
Patchy did you go to the book signing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts