Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who else puts in a vegtable garden and is it all in yet?

Tradition at my house is to get the vegetable garden planted on Mother's Day, well except the peas and they are in St Patricks day (except this year, too much snow).  When the kids were little it was the kids and I since DH works at the restaurant.

But now that the kids are older, two of them are at the restaurant with DH and the 14 year old is too much of a princess to play in the dirt...can't believe she's even my child.

Today I put in the tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, onions, beans, cucumbers, lettuce and spinach.

Tell me about your garden...or your desire to have one.

Regardless of where we are, let's all hope for a good harvest this year.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Well, I don't know that you could call it a garden but I did buy 2 tomato plants in 4" pots that I need to plant.  One is a yellow pear tomato and the other is an orange cherry called "sun sugar".  The sun sugar is hands down THE best cherry tomato I've ever had, it's just like candy from a vine, mmm, I can't wait for them to be ready.

I'd love to do some red potatoes but I don't know how.  Maybe I'll have to do a search later.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
My boyfriend puts one in.  I helped him quite a bit when I lived with him.  I'm hoping to find a house with enough land to put a small garden in.  I love tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, onions, peas, beets, beans, lettuce. 
deb

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
tomatoes and basil inside with growlight. this year we are moving the garden on to our land in town. I can not use land where I live as it is a National Park. We took the plunge and bought land in bordering town (10 miles away). there is no fence yet so I am planting potatoes, carrots, radishes,.. what else might the moose not eat. At work in this same town(library) I have two pea fences (kids at library snack) and lots of flowers. I have lots of dreams and keep trying sometimes i have a harvest. Its hard to fight the moose, bears, and slugs though.
Sylvia

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
My next door neighbor is working on his as I type this. Since I'm not a big vegetable eater, this works out well for me as he'll give me a few tomatoes and peppers when they're ready, but no more than I'll be able to use at that time. :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
This year for the first time in many years we are having a vegetable garden. Since the envenings are cool here and could frost up until the end of May, we hold off planting plants until around June 1st. We have planted peas, spinach and onions. In June we will plant Corn, green beans, beets, zuchinni, cucumber, tomato plants, pepper plants. We used to plant huge gardens and I canned crushed tomatoes, green beans, tomato juice. We don't have an enourmous place, so  we aren't planting potatoes.  It will be so nice to have fresh veggies. We have a high fenced in area (it was my kids play yard) that will keep the deer out and most of the rabbits.... who also love to sample the garden.
Kdawna

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Every year I put in my Italian Squash plants...I am a month late on it now so I have to get to that!

It is way too hot here for tomatoes, they never do well.

I used to grow everything from carrots, beets and herbs to corn, but with our water shortage I had to make do with a much smaller plot.

Sailor

·
Registered
428 Posts
We planted some potatos, on a whim, when I found them growing in their bag.  The did good at first, but now I think its just too darn hot for them.  Triple digits last week.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Just a couple of tomato plants this year.  My sister gave me one of the "as seen on tv" planters where you hang it upside down from a hook so have a third one in there - if this works I think I'll love it, but am not sure it looks sturdy enough to hold a heavy vine.  Also have a monster flowerpot on the deck that I scatter mixed salad green seeds in and can move into the 3-season room when it gets too hot and ready to bolt.  I have never planted potatoes, but Grandma always swore by planting potatoes on Good Friday!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I have seen tomatoes grown upside down, before the TV version.  They do really great.  You can actually do it in a two liter bottle. 
deb

·
Registered
142 Posts
We plant a garden.  We put out onions, broccoli and cabbage in March which turned out this year to be way too late for the broccoli. Heads did not set right because of early hot weather. 

In April we put out our tomatoes, beans, green peppers and cucumbers.  We grow the cucumbers  up using netting.  This keeps them off the ground and gives us enough yield for the whole neighborhood!  We use to plant okra, but over the past two years, the yields were horrible because of draught conditions here so this year we decided to plant more tomatoes.

I can tomatoes, both juice and quarters.  Can green beans, freeze cream corn (corn bought at local farmers market), make relish w/ green and red peppers and can applesauce in the fall.

My DH is addicted to tomato juice, we actually try to make sure that we start the fall with 100 quarts of juice.  If between his drinking it and my cooking, we use 75 quarts, then the next summer I only need to can 75 more quarts.........  I have a Victorio strainer for the juice and apple sauce.  Wonderful product.  Would never be able to can as much as we do without it.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
ladyvolz said:
We plant a garden. We put out onions, broccoli and cabbage in March which turned out this year to be way too late for the broccoli. Heads did not set right because of early hot weather.

In April we put out our tomatoes, beans, green peppers and cucumbers. We grow the cucumbers up using netting. This keeps them off the ground and gives us enough yield for the whole neighborhood! We use to plant okra, but over the past two years, the yields were horrible because of draught conditions here so this year we decided to plant more tomatoes.

I can tomatoes, both juice and quarters. Can green beans, freeze cream corn (corn bought at local farmers market), make relish w/ green and red peppers and can applesauce in the fall.

My DH is addicted to tomato juice, we actually try to make sure that we start the fall with 100 quarts of juice. If between his drinking it and my cooking, we use 75 quarts, then the next summer I only need to can 75 more quarts......... I have a Victorio strainer for the juice and apple sauce. Wonderful product. Would never be able to can as much as we do without it.
Wow! I am impressed. I can do waterbath canning, but can't get a consistent temperature for pressure canning with the electric stovetop. Do you plant multiple varieties of tomato for your juice? I don't have the expertise to add, but I would love someone to start a thread with canning tips and recipes!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
We are trying to grow tomatoes (some plants normally, and the others in that Topsy Turvy planter), basil, rosemary,cilantro, peppers, and some other stuff...not sure.  Hubby went green and bought a lot of stuff from Lowes.  LOL!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
DH has been working on a garden in a corner of the yard.  He only did stuff in pots last year, though, tomatoes and peppers.  He got several small tomatoes, despite planting really late, but I don't think the peppers really came through.  He planted some strawberry plants this year, but I'm not sure how well they'll grow here.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I bought plants yesterday but haven't put them in.  I have big hopes for the green peppers this year.  We're on year 4 of trying.  The poor things only get about an inch tall :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
I am glad we didn't get plants yet. We have a frost warning tonight! I enjoyed the post about the lady who canned so much tomato juice. I also remember canning really yummy pickled beets and some 7 day sweet pickles.
Kdwana

·
Registered
534 Posts
I put in potatoes, tomatoes, a couple of sweet pepper plants, cucumbers, pumpkins, zucchini, carrots, lettuce, peas, beans and two 'garden huckleberry' plants.  This is the first time I've planted anything since we moved here that wasn't already in the front garden.  Don't know how everything will do.  I was too busy, or I would have had everything planted a couple of weeks ago; as it was, I got it all in last week.  There is clay about an inch below the top of the soil here, so we'll see how/if anything grows!  I figure if it can't survive with the few amendments I do to the soil (adding more top soil and some mulch) and some extra water in the summer when it gets really hot, then it doesn't deserve to be in my garden.  Hopefully tomatoes do well, though.  I would hate to live another year without home grown tomatoes!

I still have my herbs to plant.  I thought I'd do those in a big planter up by my house.

·
Registered
205 Posts
i live in California (SF Bay Area), so my apt patio garden has been going for awhile.  I was just bummed that I started too late for cole crop veggies (which are my favorite).  So far, i have basil, cucumbers, Early Girl tomatoes, Cherokee Purple tomato, jalapeno peppers, sage, rosemary, strawberries, Eureka lemon, Misty and Sunshine Blue blueberries, Fuji apple and Gravenstein apple.  All in containers. 

P.S. squirrels suck.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Last year I put in corn, tomatoes - cherry and large, orange peppers.  The corn (what managed to survive the dogs eating) grew to about barbie doll size along with the carrots LOL. Guess I didn't grab the right brand. The tomatoes did really well but the pepper plant only gave me about two.

This year, I have a kiwi plant that I hope gives fruit (if it ever gets warm here). Got a tomato plant ready to go when the weather is warmer. I was thinking about adding lettuce, cucumbers, and trying peppers again. Hopefully it will warm up soon to get stuff planted in time to grow!

theresam

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I'm a patio gardener.  I have several tubs and an Earth Box.  I plant strawberries, tomatos, peppers, and herbs.  Then I have a variety of flower pots in many sizes.  I don't have a huge yield, but it certainly tastes good.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts