Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Sorry if someone else posted about this. There's a full page ad in People magazine, so they must have enough money to advertise.

The Content rules are massive, and the revenue share of the combined income is divided equally among the writers. At least, I think that's what is says. You guys are all smarter than me. I think it also says you can break your current books into installments and still keep them published on other non-exclusive sites. My concern is not being able to promote my other books, but maybe that's allowed too and I missed it.

Here's the content policy. Can't wait to see what you think.

Marti's books

·
Registered
169 Posts
what's your question? i write for radish, they're not brand new altho they have new ownership

yes, you can break up your ebooks into radish serials if you want, and they do sometimes promote non-exclusive content, they've promoted some of mine, i haven't produced radish-exclusive content

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what's your question? i write for radish, they're not brand new altho they have new ownership

yes, you can break up your ebooks into radish serials if you want, and they do sometimes promote non-exclusive content, they've promoted some of mine, i haven't produced radish-exclusive content
As usual, I'm behind the times. Thanks for answering. Do they allow you to post a link to your website? Do I understand it right, that the money goes into a pot and then pays all the authors equally? If it's true, then it doesn't seem fair to the writers who are working hard to promote their work.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many other sites like this one and Watt.pad are there? It makes sense now why Amazon would create Vella.

·
Registered
148 Posts
A few things about Radish.

1. You have to apply to be on their platform and they are selective.
2. You get paid by the number of paying coins people use on your books. Each chapter is usually 3 coins, and each coin is about 2.5 cents.
3. Your profile can have a link to your website and social media, and you can communicate with author notes.
4. This isn't like Wattpad at all because Wattpad has almost no opportunity for monetization.

Finally, there are many apps like this, mostly based out of China. I say that because you would be subject to Chinese laws. Radish is in the US.

·
Registered
239 Posts
A few things about Radish.

1. You have to apply to be on their platform and they are selective.
2. You get paid by the number of paying coins people use on your books. Each chapter is usually 3 coins, and each coin is about 2.5 cents.
3. Your profile can have a link to your website and social media, and you can communicate with author notes.
4. This isn't like Wattpad at all because Wattpad has almost no opportunity for monetization.

Finally, there are many apps like this, mostly based out of China. I say that because you would be subject to Chinese laws. Radish is in the US.
While US based, Radish and Tapas were recently bought out by Kakao, a South Korean entertainment firm.

·
Registered
208 Posts
There's also Royal Road, Medium and Patreon (though the latter can't really be used on its own).

And then there's substack, which should be a category all its own. I just started experimenting with that (see banner in my sig) and will keep you all posted on how it goes.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Radish is where you should go to if you write romance or if you want to target younger audience... or if you want to monetize your existing work since they are not that hung up 'exclusive' content the way they are with Vella... but if you are just looking for exposure, then you can consider wattpad but i feel it is not even good for that now since it is so crowded over there that it has almost become the wild west of self publishing! and for what it's worth, i think that you can now make money even on wattpad!

But if you are looking for another less known alternative, then you can look up galatea from inkitt... so there are options galore... just need to find the one that works for you!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Radish is where you should go to if you write romance or if you want to target younger audience... or if you want to monetize your existing work since they are not that hung up 'exclusive' content the way they are with Vella... but if you are just looking for exposure, then you can consider wattpad but i feel it is not even good for that now since it is so crowded over there that it has almost become the wild west of self publishing! and for what it's worth, i think that you can now make money even on wattpad!

But if you are looking for another less known alternative, then you can look up galatea from inkitt... so there are options galore... just need to find the one that works for you!
Vella doesn't require exclusivity, right? So technically we could publish our content on all of the paid platforms

·
Banned
34 Posts
Vella doesn't require exclusivity, right? So technically we could publish our content on all of the paid platforms
no... any episodic content released on Vella cannot be published elsewhere as serialized content but you can only club 10 episodes or more and put that out as an ebook. plus there is also the whole thing about not being allowed to slice and dice your old book into adapting them for vella... you are still free to take the risks you want to, but the TOS are pretty clear

·
Registered
31 Posts
no... any episodic content released on Vella cannot be published elsewhere as serialized content but you can only club 10 episodes or more and put that out as an ebook. plus there is also the whole thing about not being allowed to slice and dice your old book into adapting them for vella... you are still free to take the risks you want to, but the TOS are pretty clear
Aaaah, good to know. Thank you! I took a look at their TOS, but just hadn't had my coffee yet so I forgot. ;)

If it doesn't work out on Vella, it's good to know other options for your work though!

·
Registered
208 Posts
@Gizmondo @Need More Coffee
Actually, you CAN publish your serial elsewhere so long as it's not available for free. That is, readers must pay, no matter where they read it. Several authors I know, for instance, are doing Vella + Substack (and getting more income from the latter ATM even if it's not huge amounts either).

·
Banned
34 Posts
@Gizmondo @Need More Coffee
Actually, you CAN publish your serial elsewhere so long as it's not available for free. That is, readers must pay, no matter where they read it. Several authors I know, for instance, are doing Vella + Substack (and getting more income from the latter ATM even if it's not huge amounts either).
is that so? then i stand corrected!

·
Registered
208 Posts
is that so? then i stand corrected!
Yeah, it was KDPSam himself who confirmed this in the KDP Community forum a while back. A lot of people were asking ;)

Reactions: Gizmondo

·
Registered
148 Posts
While US based, Radish and Tapas were recently bought out by Kakao, a South Korean entertainment firm.

Yes, I'm aware that Kakao acquired Radish. My contracts are still based out of the US and not South Korea. I doubt that will change.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Making money on Wattpad is next to impossible. Getting into the Paid program is difficult and from what I've heard, not very profitable except for a select few.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Making money on Wattpad is next to impossible. Getting into the Paid program is difficult and from what I've heard, not very profitable except for a select few.
every platform has it's own challenges and advantages... it may be difficult to monetize on whattpad but there are no barriers to entry... while two two platforms that are subject of this thread, radish and vella, have their own barriers to entry... with radish there is an element of screening so not every one with a song in their heart is allowed to sing, while vella has geographic restrictions act out as these entry barriers... i had mentioned galatea from inkitt only because someone specifically asked for more alternatives but they have a whole bag of problems of their own but that doesn't mean they don't work out as a platform for everyone... so the options are there for those willing to look for them, and to me, these options also include whattpad.

·
Registered
208 Posts
it may be difficult to monetize on whattpad but there are no barriers to entry... while two two platforms that are subject of this thread, radish and vella, have their own barriers to entry... with radish there is an element of screening so not every one with a song in their heart is allowed to sing, while vella has geographic restrictions act out as these entry barriers...
I was surprised by your opening sentence, as I see it rather as the other way around LOL.

I'm not familiar with Radish, so I won't speak about that one, but Wattpad is very selective and, from my understanding, you can't even apply to the paid program, you have to wait (and hope) for them to come to you. I'd call that a major barrier ;)

As for Vella... well, reading the rest of your paragraph, I get why you'd say that, but keep in mind that the geographic restriction is temporary, and only applies during the launch phase. After that, there will be no barrier to entry, just like there isn't with KDP and KU.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts