Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Finally, there are many apps like this, mostly based out of China. I say that because you would be subject to Chinese laws. Radish is in the US.
There's also Royal Road, Medium and Patreon (though the latter can't really be used on its own).

And then there's substack, which should be a category all its own. I just started experimenting with that (see banner in my sig) and will keep you all posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
249 Posts
@Gizmondo @Need More Coffee
Actually, you CAN publish your serial elsewhere so long as it's not available for free. That is, readers must pay, no matter where they read it. Several authors I know, for instance, are doing Vella + Substack (and getting more income from the latter ATM even if it's not huge amounts either).

·
Registered
249 Posts
is that so? then i stand corrected!
Yeah, it was KDPSam himself who confirmed this in the KDP Community forum a while back. A lot of people were asking ;)

Reactions: Gizmondo

·
Registered
249 Posts
it may be difficult to monetize on whattpad but there are no barriers to entry... while two two platforms that are subject of this thread, radish and vella, have their own barriers to entry... with radish there is an element of screening so not every one with a song in their heart is allowed to sing, while vella has geographic restrictions act out as these entry barriers...
I was surprised by your opening sentence, as I see it rather as the other way around LOL.

I'm not familiar with Radish, so I won't speak about that one, but Wattpad is very selective and, from my understanding, you can't even apply to the paid program, you have to wait (and hope) for them to come to you. I'd call that a major barrier ;)

As for Vella... well, reading the rest of your paragraph, I get why you'd say that, but keep in mind that the geographic restriction is temporary, and only applies during the launch phase. After that, there will be no barrier to entry, just like there isn't with KDP and KU.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts