Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I posted a guest column on the Guide to Literary Agents blog. Later, I stumbled across a post elsewhere that appeared to mock me for signing with an agent even though I subsequently decided to self-publish.

To be honest, I'm not sure what exactly this person was getting at, but I do know it ticked me off, so instead of firing back at this person, I'm just going to vent it here.

[INSERT CLARK GRISWOLD'S CHRISTMAS VACATION JELLY-OF-THE-MONTH CLUB RANT HERE]

Aaaaaannnnd, now I feel better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I follow several blogs that suggest not hiring an agent.  I think their reasons are valid, but that's just me.  The person who mocked you, might be in that same camp.  All though it sounds like they took it too far.

Let it roll off your shoulders.  Only you can decide what's best for you and your career.  Remember- "To each his own", and results may vary. ;)

G

·
David Kazzie said:
To be honest, I'm not sure what exactly this person was getting at,
Smug self-gratification for "sticking it to the man."

Seriously, there is a really deep-rooted anti-publisher/agent aspect in some indie circles. Which is ironic, because they stamp their position on the notion that publishers and agents are anti-indie (plotting in secret cabals in underground hideouts in NYC on how to destroy authors). There is a certain contingent in the indie community that desperately needs to believe that self-publishing is the only valid option. The truth is both routes are perfectl valid, depending on your own skills and talents, goals, and resources. You need to take a full inventory of what you bring to the table, and make a decision based on that.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting.

When I signed with my agent, I had already been thinking about self-publishing, and when I talked to her about it, she was incredibly supportive of my decision to do so.

I self-published for one reason only -- I thought it was the best business decision given the state of my writing career at the time.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If everyone's path to publishing was the same, we'd all be writing the same books. Agents are tools to use on one path; self publishing is another tool. Kindleboards are also a handy tool! And some people are just tools in general. Like mockers who can't broaden their worldview to respectfully include people who are different than they are.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't have an agent, but I wouldn't be an Indie now if it hadn't been for an agent's advice to go down the self publishing route. He reckoned I could be making a ton of money, although that still has to happen. He's just featured me on his blog Criminal-E and if you're interested in taking a look here's the link http://criminal-e.blogspot.com/2011/06/chris-longmuir-interview-night-watcher.html

Chris L. ;)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Some indies don't understand what an agent does, so they think they are unnecessary or worse, crooks. Some indies are just jealous that they couldn't get an agent themselves. Some indies are anti-establishment, and think it's bad to conform.

No matter what the reason, if someone is mocking you that is unprofessional, and it only reflects poorly on themselves in the end.

Vicki

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Victorine said:
Some indies don't understand what an agent does, so they think they are unnecessary or worse, crooks. Some indies are just jealous that they couldn't get an agent themselves. Some indies are anti-establishment, and think it's bad to conform.

No matter what the reason, if someone is mocking you that is unprofessional, and it only reflects poorly on themselves in the end.

Vicki
Yep, or another word might be "immature."

Camille

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Eh, people are people. No worries on it... the only thing that matters is that you are staying true to your dreams and following your heart. I can't stand the "so called" fight betweeen indies and traditional and those who have agents and those who don't... why can't some people wake up and realize how awesome it is that writers now have options! No more one path nonsense...

Glad you vented here. Now... let's all sip our eggnog and enjoy:

-jb 8)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Consider the source.  Is someone who probably knows nothing about you or why you have chosen to do what you did, yet feels qualified to comment on the subject, worth spending even one minute of your time on?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, I'm now finding myself wondering if I did the right thing to self-publish the things I did on Kindle and Nook.
They were things I'd tried finding agents for without success and had been sitting on the back shelf for far too long.
The reason I'm saying this is that I suddenly found myself signed up with an e-publisher for a novel about a soldier suffering from PTSD who is healed by American Indian methods.
Then, the e-publisher went under! I found myself out on a limb again.
So, I self-published the on-the-shelf stuff.
At the same time, I kept looking for a home for the SONORA SYMPHONY novel AND another I'd written about how Father Serra led the way in founding the California missions. I'll be damned but I suddenly got interest AND CONTRACT OFFERS FROM FOUR PUBLISHERS for the first!!!!!
So, I now find myself with a publisher who is interested in EVERYTHING I've written!!!
So, I have a contract for one, a promise of a contract for the other and just submitted the sequel to the first for consideration. {by the end of the week, I'll submit the sequel for the Father Serra novel which also has another sequel in the advanced stages of being written]
So, what am I going to do with the stuff up on Kindle?????

·
Registered
768 Posts
lvcabbie said:
Well, I'm now finding myself wondering if I did the right thing to self-publish the things I did on Kindle and Nook...
So, what am I going to do with the stuff up on Kindle?????
You don't have to do anything unless the publishing contract you sign says you do. Sounds like it was publishable material that you put up, so nothing wrong there. You began the path of matching your stories with readers and fans. That's a good thing :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Victorine said:

Vicki
Agree on the mockery, no call for that ever. But you forgot one reason why some authors (not just indies) are wary of agents: they've had a few and know some of the problems that go along with agents (not just the horror stories about agents cheating clients out of money, but the horror stories about agents sitting on manuscripts when they said they sent them out...agents are people, too :-\ )

·
Registered
513 Posts
Todd Russell said:
You don't have to do anything unless the publishing contract you sign says you do. Sounds like it was publishable material that you put up, so nothing wrong there. You began the path of matching your stories with readers and fans. That's a good thing :)
I totally agree with Todd :). I just read about this over on the QT forums--congrats, lv!!

Also, as for the mocking, let it roll off your shoulders. You are a small business owner, and only you can decide what works for your business.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts