Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Perhaps Verizon is fishing to get the Amazon Kindle contract?  Would not be the first time a company pretended interest in another unnamed rival to get a foot in the door.  From what I read Sprint is considered to have major challenges ahead.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Gables Girl said:
Perhaps Verizon is fishing to get the Amazon Kindle contract? Would not be the first time a company pretended interest in another unnamed rival to get a foot in the door. From what I read Sprint is considered to have major challenges ahead.
Oooooo. I like this strategy idea. I would love it if Kindle switched to Verizon. A lot of my friends have Sprint and most of their phones don't work at my house. Luckily I have no problem with Whispernet. It's never five bars but is usually four.

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
I believe Verizon and Sprint are both CDMA networks. . .so software/hardware-wise it would certainly be possible. . . . .

Ann
(if I'm wrong about that, I apologize.  I'm sure someone else has the full scoop. .. I didn't look it up. . .)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I did a lot of research on cell phone coverage after I got an RV and wanted to see which service is best for general national coverage. This is extensively covered in the RV forums because people have a lot of real world experience traveling all over the country using their phones. It is generally accepted that Verizon has the best overall national coverage. Most particularly they are better in the more rural areas than their competitors. In the urban and suburban areas their was not much difference. Having said that I am sure that Sprint most have this thing legally sown up for many years. There is no real impetus for Amazon to switch, the vast majority of people get whispernet just fine, at least at some point during the day (if it doesn't work at home maybe it works at work, or at the store, etc). Its not like you have to have continous coverage like with a cell phone.

Steve

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is extensively covered in the RV forums because people have a lot of real world experience traveling all over the country using their phones. It is generally accepted that Verizon has the best overall national coverage.
Ditto. When I lived and worked in my RV, I found that Verizon had the best national coverage. It surprised me when I researched the Kindle and learned that Whispernet is Sprint-based. I expected Amazon to go with the accepted top of the line.

On the other hand, USB downloading isn't a deal-breaker. I just hoped for a little more from Amazon. Whispernet works fine for me when I'm home-based.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'd be a little leery of Verizon taking over anything.

Don't get me wrong, I have a Verizon phone and have Verizon contracts for about 5 years now.  I love their coverage.  But they do things to their phones to limit their manufactured functionality (such as file transfers via bluetooth, or GPS).  Sometimes they don't mention the changes they've made to the phones until after market, when their customer service reps in the store are just as confused as the consumer about what the phone can and can't do.  So people build work-arounds just to get to the functionality the manufacturer intended.

I imagine they would spread their limiting love on anything else they touch.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I'm in the Chicago suburbs.  Good WhisperNet.  I guess Verizon's coverage is good.  The last time I had Verizon cell phone and service, I got very poor customer service and attitude in a Verizon store.  Have had T-Mobile cell service ever since.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats weird Sandpiper. I just moved from edgewater (chicago nieghborhood for those unfamiliar with chicago). I had ATT, and had terrible service. I switched to verizon and had no problems at all.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I'm out in Waukegan, I don't have any trouble with my iPhone on AT&T. I had loads of trouble with Verizon, but it was probably the Motorola Razr vs. the cell service. That was a terrible phone.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts