Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I first began this thread, the Kindle versions of my books have gone on sale for 99 cents per volume, and will stay at that extremely reasonable price indefinitely. It's my hope that I'll be able to continue the sale for the entire summer, but I still urge all readers of well-wrought fantasy to take advantage of the bargain as soon as possible. :)

The warm welcome I received on the Introductions thread (thanks, everyone!) has encouraged me to advertise my fantasy duology WYSARD and its sequel LORD BROTHER, both recently made available in Kindle form. They were published in paperback some years ago, and their virtual versions are giving them a new lease on life. The two volumes form the core of the Ryel Saga, and soon will be flanked by a stand-alone prequel and a continuation of the tale.

Synopsis: Ryel Mirai leaves the great wysard-citadel Markul to rediscover the lost Art that will release his mentor's spirit from the wraithworld of the Void, but a malignant sorcerer likewise imprisoned has commanded Ryel's strongest rival to find the spell first. Amid dangers, joys and temptations, Ryel discovers unlikely allies to help him in his quest, and learns that he may well gain all that he wishes...although perhaps not as he wished it.

WYSARD and its sequel LORD BROTHER have been critically acclaimed as lyrical, exotic, archetypal tales of love and magic-fantasy at its highest and most heartfelt. Robin Hobb wrote the cover blurb for LORD BROTHER, and reviewers have offered comments like the following:

"A masterful fantasy by an extremely talented author, WYSARD is certainly not to be missed. Ms. Kephart has created a beautiful world, complete with many different civilizations, peoples, laws, and creatures. She's given it life, imbuing it with feudal hostilities, caste grudges, religious debates and politics. Throughout the novel, we learn much about this world, but it never takes over the storyline or does more than register in the reader's mind. The focus remains on Ryel, on his quest and his destiny." (In The Library Reviews)

"The writing style is pure joy. The author has obviously chosen each word with great care, for there are no parts of the story, sentences, or even words that do not advance the telling of the tale. Lyrical phrasing results in a similarity to poetry in the way it conveys enormous emotion within a few lines. The reader dares not skim any for fear of losing the trail of the plot. This book is not thick and yet at its conclusion, we feel as if we have lived through, and truly enjoyed, an epic." (TopDragon Reviews)

"Extremely vibrant storytelling ... characters are complete and complex ... settings are photo-realistic, described with such clarity that every object seems tangible, every action seems to be taking place at that moment ... You may curse the fact that you will be left hanging at the end of WYSARD. You may be thrilled that there are even more adventures to come. Like many of the weapons in the book, it is a double-edged sword. Unlike some of the unfortunate characters we see dispensed in a flurry of blood and steel, the reader is in a win-win situation." (Lisa DuMond, SF Site)

The Kindle edition of WYSARD has a new, bold cover design:

Purchasing links for both Kindle and paperback, personal blog, and comments from Amazon Top Reviewers, among others: http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AXOPZ31KY736I

My website, with more reviews, biography, first chapters of both books and a sci-fi short story, REGENERATED (first published in Quantum Muse): http://carolynkephart.com

It's so good to find ardent lovers of the written word in such a kind and civil atmosphere. I hope my books fare as well here as I have! With good wishes,

Carolyn Kephart

a

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
Caroyn,

I took the liberty of making a couple of "Kindleboard" links. If people buy your books through these links Kindleboard gets an affiliate commission to keep this board going! I'll definitely be sampling them. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Sounds very interesting, I sampled, too.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Cool breezes, swaying palm trees, Kindle in hand, ( protective bag, of course! ;) ) sounds pretty good, huh?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
Caroyn,

I took the liberty of making a couple of "Kindleboard" links. If people buy your books through these links Kindleboard gets an affiliate commission to keep this board going! I'll definitely be sampling them. . . .

Ann

Ann, thank you SO MUCH!!! I deeply appreciate the thoughtful gesture. :)
Hoping you enjoy the samples,

CK

http://carolynkephart.com

·
Registered
455 Posts
Oh, these sound like they're right up my alley! Gonna download the sample now. :)

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I do love a good fantasy series...looking forward to trying your books, and thanks for posting about them! :)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steph H said:
I do love a good fantasy series...looking forward to trying your books, and thanks for posting about them! :)
I welcome any and all feedback, Steph, and thank you for your interest. You might also be interested in the short story 'Regenerated,' posted on my website.

One of my reviewers said I'm like Le Guin, only grittier. I cherish my correspondence with Andre Norton, who added my books to her reference library at High Hallack even though she disapproved of some of the story's more graphic goings-on. :D

CK

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello again, everyone.

Thanks to Ann from Arlington's kind example, I'm adding some Kindle Links for my books...finally!

Wysard

Lord Brother

As has doubtless been noted, I've changed the name of this thread several times, trying to find just the right wording. The new title, which I promise not to alter (unless someone has a better suggestion, which I welcome), embodies a quote from one of my reviewers. Thanks to all for bearing with me. :)

"A solid grasp of story and setting, including the socio-economic and ethnic frameworks crucial to a good fantasy ... One note about Kephart's fantasy is the absence of dragons, elves, fairies, talking swords, and so forth. Her plot and scenes are driven entirely by human and demonic forces, which some readers may prefer." ~The Bookshelf

CK

Synopses, first chapters, reviews, bio, buying, blogging, and a short story about love and giant lizards at

My Amazon Profile: http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AXOPZ31KY736I

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a note to say that Kindle versions of my books Wysard and Lord Brother are now on sale (down from $6.00 each to $4.80). If this seems a bit costly (and it probably does, given all the freebies available on Kindle), a visit to my newly redecorated website http://carolynkephart.com will provide full first chapters and exceptionally persuasive reviews...plus links to the paperback versions, where Wysard can be had gently used for less than two bucks.

Thanks!

CK

From TopDragon Fantasy Reviews:
"Every so often, I turn from my penchant for re-discovering the classics of fantasy fiction and from my never ending attempt to devour the popular titles of the day, to try the new and the lesser-known novels of the genre. Carolyn Kephart has provided me, and many other fantasy readers with a superb first novel, Wysard. She has since followed up with part two, Lord Brother, the two of which were originally intended as a single novel.
The writing style is pure joy. The author has obviously chosen each word with great care, for there are no parts of the story, sentences, or even words that do not advance the telling of the tale. Lyrical phrasing results in a similarity to poetry in the way it conveys enormous emotion within a few lines. The reader dares not skim any for fear of losing the trail of the plot. This book is not thick and yet at its conclusion, we feel as if we have lived through, and truly enjoyed, an epic.
Those readers that are growing tired of huge, multi-volume epic fantasies, would do well to read Carolyn Kephart. It is my firm belief that we will be hearing much more from this new fantasy talent."

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been delighted by the sudden shrinkage of my Amazon numbers. To my new readers, many thanks.

Since I'd left it out when I began this thread, I offer the following synopis of the storyline linking Wysard and Lord Brother:

For a dozen years-almost half his existence-Ryel Mirai has dwelt in the fog-clad citadel of Markul, learning the Art from his kinsman Edris. His life has been one of rigorous self-denial and discipline, and his studies have been hard, perilous, and seemingly to no purpose. But Edris' mysterious death forces Ryel to comprehend the part he must play in the World outside Markul's grim walls. A great and cruel power in the Art, the half-demon Dagar, rages in the wraithworld of the Void, struggling to return and wreak vengeance on the World that loathed and feared him when he lived centuries before. Dagar has enlisted the aid of Ryel's unruly rival in the Art, Lord Michael Essern whose blood teems with tormenting bane, to find the long-lost spell that will free him from the Void. But to escape the shadow-realm, Dagar requires a human form in which to embody his spiritual essence - his rai - and the form he lusts for is none other than Ryel's.

Lured by Dagar's wiles, Ryel returns to the World, embroiling himself in all its dangers, joys, and temptations, and soon realizes that he has the chance to discover the Spell of Joining first, thereby forever thwarting Dagar's machinations and bringing Edris, also imprisoned in the Void, back to life again. Great as the young wysard's hopes are, however, the dangers are greater still, for Dagar's minions are powerful and many. But Ryel discovers that he has strong allies to help him in his cause, and finds that he may well gain all that he wishes...although perhaps not as he wished it.

*****​

"This book has all the elements of a superior fantasy novel, including the creation of a unique, full-blooded world. Wysard's world is more like four worlds, since there are four great cities described. Another element is the battle of good against evil, with the good not being perfect, and the evil tempting its characters. The book will make the reader think and wonder, not only about the storyline, but about the nature of life, death, and fate. As in real life, there are no easy or simple answers.
The author keeps the action flowing while revealing the inner workings of the wysard's mind. The language and imagery of the book are rich and eloquent. The plot has a satisfying amount of twists and keeps the reader turning those pages ... I'm hooked." ~Kerri Kadow, Sirius Book Reviews

Namaste,

CK

First chapters, reviews, bio and bloggery at

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I take this opportunity to remind fantasy lovers (or any lover of a riveting yarn and eloquent writing--I'm just quoting my critics!) that Kindle versions of my books Wysard and Lord Brother are still on sale.

Paperback versions are, as always, complimentary for established reviewers; just send an email to the address available on the front page of my newly reorganized website, http://carolynkephart.com. Lots of goodies there, including entire first chapters, lovely photos, reviews to die for, and free advice. :D

Thanks to everyone who's been reading me. May the experience delight, and the memories linger pleasantly.

Namaste,

CK

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As the French would say, Rebonjour. :)

Pushy self-promotion isn't something I like to engage in; however, I couldn't help but notice how many views this thread has been getting, and want to express my thanks.

I also have a request! Are there any German readers in the house who could help me with a translation? I recently came across the following review of Wysard and have attempted to decipher it, but Babelfish only takes one so far.

"Da mich die Lektüre des 8ten Malazan Romans noch ein bisschen beschäftigen wird, möchte ich die Zeit überbrücken und eine Empfehlung abgeben.
Es handelt sich dabei um ein etwas obskureres Buch. Bisher hat es keinen grossen Publisher gefunden (Leider!). Natürlich gehört es in die Sparte Fantasy (wen überraschts ;) ) und die Autorin ist eine Amerikanerin namens Carolyn Kephart. Der Titel ist nicht unbedingt inspirierend und lässt, auch dank der Schreibart, eher auf einen billigen Abklatsch schliessen ( The Wysard ). Aber lasst euch davon nicht täuschen...es ist ein Buch, dass ich sehr gerne gelesen habe. Frau Kephart versteht es zu schreiben...lyrisch kommt ihre Prosa daher und auch ihre Fähigkeit Charakteren Tiefe zu geben, ist ausgeprägt. Das Buch dürfte Leser ansprechen die sich mehr für Konflikte im zwischenmenschlichen interessieren...es ist, wenn man so will, ein "ruhigeres" Buch. Wie ist das gemeint? Keine Schlachten auf jeder zweiten Seite, keine Monsterschwärme oder Magie-Gemetzel."

Thanks for any and all help,

CK

Whole first chapters of Wysard and its sequel Lord Brother, plus bloggish reflections at http://carolynkephart.com

1 - 20 of 282 Posts