Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a new video on how to trick Word search and replace to change all line breaks to section breaks which Word can't do automatically. It should be good for those who upload direct to nook who require section breaks and also save time when changing line breaks to section breaks for print formatting. Those who subscribe to my youtube channel will automatically get notification when it's done

This is my first attempt at a video of this type so I don't need crit unless it's a private message. I'm only trying to help those who don't have software to find such errors. I don't have the voice to do a voice over or a tripod, so it's all images. I really hope it helps like it helped me on a trilogy I've just completed, and I was embarrased by the number of quotation errors when I sent it for a development edit after she pointed some out, but she wasn't looking for them. Even a proofreader would have had a nightmare finding them all.

Best viewed in full screen and paused if the captions are too fast. Maybe you have to click on the YouTube wording on the video to get all the functions?

The code for copy and pasting into the notepad++ find box to search out the errant quotation marks I have in the description under the trailer on YouTube

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Regular expressions are pretty neat. Word should support them directly so Word users shouldn't need a code editor, but it could also require some tinkering with the expression.

I tried it on my WIP and it found about 10 errors in 130K.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brevoort said:
Very nice and clear video. Thank you.
Thanks. Just realised in one caption, I've said the code is availble at the end of the book in the description, and not the trailer. You can't see it watching on here. but you can see the code for copy and pasting under the video on YouTube.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lyndawrites said:
Thanks, Decon. Bookmarked it for looking at tomorrow.
Thanks. Any questions, or if you hit a problem, either PM me on here or post in this thread. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
J. Tanner said:
Regular expressions are pretty neat. Word should support them directly so Word users shouldn't need a code editor, but it could also require some tinkering with the expression.

I tried it on my WIP and it found about 10 errors in 130K.
I looked at regular expression for Word and other word processing software after reading your post, and to be honest I can't make head nor tail of them. One post said something along the lines of it was difficult to apply to Word and I could find nothing by way of expressions that related to finding quote errors? If there was a way of posting a code into the find function of Word to find quote errors, obviously that would be better, I just can't find a way of doing it.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Decon said:
I looked at regular expression for Word and other word processing software after reading your post, and to be honest I can't make head nor tail of them. One post said something along the lines of it was difficult to apply to Word and I could find nothing by way of expressions that related to finding quote errors? If there was a way of posting a code into the find function of Word to find quote errors, obviously that would be better, I just can't find a way of doing it.
It uses the Find window in the same way. You just check Wildcards instead of Regular Expressions.

The expression may need to change because Word's syntax is a little different.

OpenOffice and LibreOffice should be similar.

Scrivener Mac should support your expression. Scrivener Windows doesn't appear to support regular expressions yet. (Boo! because that's what I use, but exporting out was a minor inconvenience.)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
J. Tanner said:
It uses the Find window in the same way. You just check Wildcards instead of Regular Expressions.

The expression may need to change because Word's syntax is a little different.

OpenOffice and LibreOffice should be similar.

Scrivener Mac should support your expression. Scrivener Windows doesn't appear to support regular expressions yet. (Boo! because that's what I use, but exporting out was a minor inconvenience.)
I've tried it every which way in Word and it just doesn't find anything. Ihe code might work in there's, but it definately works in notepad++

I'm jymust working on something else in Word and that is to find and replace all line breaks with section breaks. There is no auto way of doing this in Word, which is awkward when going from and ebook ms to format a print book which requires section breaks. The same with no o who require scen breaks at upload and not line breaks

Anyway, iave learned how to trick Word into doing this with find and replace all, so I'll do a video on that one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts