Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Maybe this will assist some with the task of changing line breaks to section breaks when preparing an e-book MS to transfer for preperation to a print book, maybe not?

Hopefully it will be of use.

If the wording on the screen passes too fast pause to read. It might be better click in the YouTube icon on the screen to watch it there. To see that put your cursor over the video. Or use this link.

WeP2Yul6gIM

Let me know if it helps.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Very helpful and useful to know, thank you very much. I used to HATE changing breaks between ebooks and paperbacks. Drove me up the wall. Such a waste of time! These days, I simply use section breaks in ebooks to begin with.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Or you can use just the search and replace feature.
Make a backup first as usual and then press CTRL-H to access the replace menu.
Search for: page breaks is ^m or press the button special / page breaks
replace with: section breaks is ^b or pres the button special / section breaks.

Then replace all. Or vice versa.

While you are at it, also take a look at the other options - most of the formatting problems can be solved with the very powerful search and replace in word and that includes formatting.

If you do something regularly, consider recording a macro - this is not complicated once you tried it out a bit and can help you tons of time doing repetitive tasks.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nicole Simon said:
Or you can use just the search and replace feature.
Make a backup first as usual and then press CTRL-H to access the replace menu.
Search for: page breaks is ^m or press the button special / page breaks
replace with: section breaks is ^b or pres the button special / section breaks.

Then replace all. Or vice versa.

While you are at it, also take a look at the other options - most of the formatting problems can be solved with the very powerful search and replace in word and that includes formatting.

If you do something regularly, consider recording a macro - this is not complicated once you tried it out a bit and can help you tons of time doing repetitive tasks.
That doesn't work. I've tried it many times in Word. It doesn't recognise the ^b in special. There is no section break in the drop down menu in special, only manual page break

I've just tried it again and it say ^b is not a special character for the replace box

I've also tried it my way just now in a new version of Word and it doesnt work, only as I explain in the video in Word 97-2003

I'll stand corrected if you can come back at me with an explanation after trying it yourself.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Weird. However still not a problem.
- again backup first
- insert a section break like you like it, mark it and copy it to clipboard
- call up search and replace (ctrl-h)
- search for your item (^m) and replace with content of the clipboard (^c)

Since you are copying from the clipboard, you can do additional stuff.
Tried out in Word 2019 and works.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nicole Simon said:
Weird. However still not a problem.
- again backup first
- insert a section break like you like it, mark it and copy it to clipboard
- call up search and replace (ctrl-h)
- search for your item (^m) and replace with content of the clipboard (^c)

Since you are copying from the clipboard, you can do additional stuff.
Tried out in Word 2019 and works.
Great that it works in your version. Sorry, but it doesn't work in my latest version of Word in office 365. Clearly Microsoft Word have removed ^b as a special character in the latest version.

·
Registered
466 Posts
there is no more ^b involved in the last solution.

but as always with office: there is at least 15 working ways to every problem and everybody sould find the best way working for them!

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nicole Simon said:

but as always with office: there is at least 15 working ways to every problem and everybody sould find the best way working for them!
That's great, I'll do another video. ^c works in the latest version. They've simply removed section breaks as an option in the special drop down box. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nicole Simon said:

I've done a new video to cover 3 versions of Word, so it should help everyone if they were not aware how to do it. It's best viewed on YouTube with the screen expanded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts